HP Omen 40L Ram Overclocking

as6977
Go to solution Solved by 8tg,

Go into the bios and turn on the EXPO or DOCP profile for the memory in there. 

All DDR4 fits into a few standard speeds, usually 2133, 2400 or 2666mhz. Anything beyond that is an overclock, things like XMP and EXPO are standards that tell a motherboard a kit of memory is rated for a certain overclock configuration. 

Where that setting is in the bios and what it can be called on AMD platforms is very dependent on the specific motherboard, i couldnt tell you exactly where any setting for that is beyond that its in the bios, under the memory configuration.

So I have looked almost everywhere and I have not found an answer for my problem. I recently upgraded from the preinstalled ram from 16gb to 32gb and I have been getting lower clock speeds ever since I upgraded. I know that I can manually change the timmings and voltages but I don't want to mess with it because I know that if I overclock it, I can fry the ram that's in there. Right now i'm getting 2400MHz and I want to be around the advertised 3200MHz. I will have the specs of my entire system including the ram. Thank you.

MODEL 
OMEN by HP 40L Gaming Desktop GT21-0xxx 
SERIAL NUMBER 
OPERATING SYSTEM 
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 
- Release ID: 2009 
- Version: 10.0.22621 
- Build: 22621 
CPU 
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics          
- Clock speed: 3801MHz 
- Description: AMD64 Family 25 Model 80 Stepping 0 
GPU 
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 
- Refresh rate: 120Hz 
- Driver version: 31.0.15.3640 
RAM 
KF3200C16D4/8GX      
- Capacity: 8GB 
- Type: DDR4 
- Default clock speed: 2400MHz 
HP37D4U1S8MR-8XR     
KF3200C16D4/8GX      
HP37D4U1S8MR-8XR     
AUDIO 
Realtek High Definition Audio 
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) 
USB Audio Device 
NVIDIA High Definition Audio 

Go into the bios and turn on the EXPO or DOCP profile for the memory in there. 

All DDR4 fits into a few standard speeds, usually 2133, 2400 or 2666mhz. Anything beyond that is an overclock, things like XMP and EXPO are standards that tell a motherboard a kit of memory is rated for a certain overclock configuration. 

Where that setting is in the bios and what it can be called on AMD platforms is very dependent on the specific motherboard, i couldnt tell you exactly where any setting for that is beyond that its in the bios, under the memory configuration.

Always buy your ram together at the same time, with sequential serial numbers if possible or insure they are from the same batch, it seems like you are mixing your old ram with the new ram.

https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram.php?ram=Kingston+HP37D4U1S8MR-8XR+8GB&id=18262

https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram.php?ram=Kingston+KF3200C16D4%2F8GX+8GB&id=16979

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build