cat6 vs tp-link wifi adapter

T3mpest
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
11 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

also is it okay to put my ethernet cable through the window and closing it or would it

If you damage any of the conductors you may get reduced speeds to a non functional cable. Also if the cable is not rated for outdoors (UV resistant) then its likely the cable will maybe only last a few years. Also bare in mind that Ethernet cables have 8 copper conductors and will be susceptible to lightning strikes. 

12 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

now if it will give me faster speeds than my tp link wifi adapter. currently im getting about 15mbs of download and 7mb of upload and im supposed to be getting around 85mb download and 20 upload

Cat6 is rated for 5 Gbps up to 100 meters or 10 Gbps up to 55 meters. 

Im getting a cat6 ethernet cable tommorow and wanted to know if it will give me faster speeds than my tp link wifi adapter. currently im getting about 15mbs of download and 7mb of upload and im supposed to be getting around 135Mb/s dwnld and 20Mb/s upld

also is it okay to put my ethernet cable through the window and closing it or would it break or reduce speeds or something since i dont wanna drill holes into my walls 

Thanks
image.thumb.png.32f06abaf32926aa19c4793b7e9036ba.png

11 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

also is it okay to put my ethernet cable through the window and closing it or would it

If you damage any of the conductors you may get reduced speeds to a non functional cable. Also if the cable is not rated for outdoors (UV resistant) then its likely the cable will maybe only last a few years. Also bare in mind that Ethernet cables have 8 copper conductors and will be susceptible to lightning strikes. 

12 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

now if it will give me faster speeds than my tp link wifi adapter. currently im getting about 15mbs of download and 7mb of upload and im supposed to be getting around 85mb download and 20 upload

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Cable should generally offer better speed and latency than Wi-Fi. Though good cables have shielding and a minimum bend radius you should not go below. Running a cable through a window, then closing it is likely to damage it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Cable should generally offer better speed and latency than Wi-Fi. Though good cables have shielding and a minimum bend radius you should not go below. Running a cable through a window, then closing it is likely to damage it.

Would it be worth it to just drill a hole into the bottom right of my window since my bedroom is upstairs then run it to my bedroom window and fill it up with something

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thank you

3 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

Would it be worth it to just drill a hole into the bottom right of my window since my bedroom is upstairs then run it to my bedroom window and fill it up with something

As @Donut417 pointed out, you don't really want to run a cable that isn't intended for outdoor use on the outside of your house.

Wi-Fi 4 or newer should be able to do 135 Mbit, provided there's not too much interference from neighboring networks or thick walls. If your current setup doesn't work, getting a new router and a Wi-Fi card with a good antenna might be a better alternative.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As @Donut417 pointed out, you don't really want to run a cable that isn't intended for outdoor use on the outside of your house.

Wi-Fi 4 or newer should be able to do 135 Mbit, provided there's not too much interference from neighboring networks or thick walls. If your current setup doesn't work, getting a new router and a Wi-Fi card with a good antenna might be a better alternative.

Alright thank you