What's peoples opinion on the new clickbait removing extensions? Does LTT support it?

The creator of SponsorBlock has recently released a new extension which attempts to remove clickbait. 
LTT made 
a video 6 years ago talking about the change to "cancerous thumbnails".

I would love the communities opinion and from LLT on what this extension is attempting to do.

(How it works: Titles are user submitted and thumbnails picked by users from a frame in the video)

LTT-meme.png

My opinion: I always wondered why people want a literal summary of the video in the title? It's like asking a book author to summarise a novel within the title. The title is what captures people's interest to read/watch. If I already know what's gonna happen in the book/video, why would I still wanna read/watch it? 

the "clicky" thumbnails in the way most channels do it dont bother me at all.

as for what the plugin does... from your description it sounds like a manual process? that sounds like a lot of wasted effort to have a very small impact on the overal youtube experience.

This finally got me to install sponsor block and the title extension.

Still not really using it to skip ads. 

53 minutes ago, manikyath said:

from your description it sounds like a manual process? that sounds like a lot of wasted effort to have a very small impact on the overal youtube experience.

It is manual, but it seems like people are doing a lot to put it on as many videos as they can. Here's a snip from a guy I work with. Under 800 subs, but even all his videos are redone. I doubt someone went through and redid his videos. I also found someone I subbed to a long time ago. 1 video upload, 7 years ago and it was DeArrowed.

Spoiler

W/o Dearrow

image.thumb.png.6b72d385244601fbae6fec4c149a7092.png

With Dearrow.

image.thumb.png.ab4edcbdc08f974eaaf5279e8b7abb34.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It is manual, but it seems like people are doing a lot to put it on as many videos as they can. Here's a snip from a guy I work with. Under 800 subs, but even all his videos are redone. I doubt someone went through and redid his videos. I also found someone I subbed to a long time ago. 1 video upload, 7 years ago and it was DeArrowed.

you know.. it might just be me.. but i greatly prefer the original thumbnails in your example.

not saying the plugin is useless, but it feels more like an "opinion piece"...

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you know.. it might just be me.. but i greatly prefer the original thumbnails in your example.

And I think that's where the manual part comes in. You can vote for a different part of the video to be the thumbnail. Since someone hadn't set one for their most recent video and it was automatically generated, I was able to change the thumbnail that shows up. The one from 17:29 was me seeing if it would change if I moved my vote. Seems automatic, but manually over ridable. 

image.png.7623efa3682d1085ed7a9e4ede007bf6.pngimage.png.c500424ebc5908d5054b3d618115254a.png

Edit: We changed the thumbnail that auto shows up for the LTT video referenced by OP.

image.png.795c9e57dc2bc53a097c0322331e0db5.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 hours ago, crazzp said:

My opinion: I always wondered why people want a literal summary of the video in the title? It's like asking a book author to summarise a novel within the title. The title is what captures people's interest to read/watch. If I already know what's gonna happen in the book/video, why would I still wanna read/watch it? 

So you don't watch movies after you've seen the trailers? You don't read books after you've read what they're about on the back? You don't play games after a reviewer summarizes what to expect? Seriously, worst take imaginable. But humor me, how does the replacement title sum up the video to the point where you'd no longer felt like watching it?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I haven't tried it but I don't watch clickbait videos anyway.  I'm sure they're going to do it because he says it works.

3 hours ago, crazzp said:

the example given isn't really a summary of the video though, it just tells you the general topic. On the other hand substituting the thumbnail with a frame from the video seems kind of pointless...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks for the responses, this was really interesting to read!

The response are really different from the responses I got when posting the same question to r/LinusTechTips.

I am guessing the average age of users here is a bit older and most people here have been on YouTube since the early days.
In the video I linked to Linus is talking to the audience they had 6 years ago (many people who I'm guessing are still here).

At that time the YouTube community culture was adamantly against the practice of clickbait titles and Thumbnails. 

The responses I got on Reddit (I'm guessing) is from newer generations.

People who have always lived with YouTube clickbait thumbnails being the norm.

For them the idea of removing flashy thumbnails was received (surprisingly for me) pretty negatively.  

image.png.f87b8cf79d36d0392659b360f3f6802b.png

image.png.e80d91af6061e044627daf33eda2457c.png

Unfortunately my comment with the question I had got downvoted to the bottom
so almost none of the comments have proper context to what I was actually asking about.

(normal reddit experience I guess)

I'm not even sure if people understand the perspective I am coming at.
It seems they think I personally hate LTT for being forced by the YouTube system to use clickbait thumbnails?

image.png.723feac58c2519901c7ba8aac0c7dbce.png

Just some interesting observations I had.
Did not know this would be such a divisive topic, but there you go! 

16 hours ago, manikyath said:

Overall i agree. Maybe i've just gotten used to it or LTT has gotten better at it, but pretty much any tumbnail and title recently made it pretty clear what the video was about. For the creators i personally watch it's not needed. Cool plugin though. And i'm very happy with how sponsorblock works.

The most recent examples:

image.png.6d37eec1037356cf3bdce31f39c262c0.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I rather keep the thumbnails but have better more descriptive titles.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 7/9/2023 at 5:05 PM, crazzp said:

because the problem with clickbait titles is there are too many of them and they're usually not worth watching (if your video would be interesting you didn't need a clickbait title to begin with)

Therfore they get blocked on sight,  bold strategy but if it works for them, good for them ig  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 7/10/2023 at 11:02 AM, Mihle said:

I rather keep the thumbnails but have better more descriptive titles.

true i don't really mind the thumbnails even though random arrows usually means poor content.  still with a descriptive title i would be more likely to click on it

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

because the problem with clickbait titles is there are too many of them and they're usually not worth watching (if your video would be interesting you didn't need a clickbait title to begin with)

Therfore they get blocked on sight,  bold strategy but if it works for them, good for them ig  

They have to play the game to get the views they want and need. At this point they're such a huge company that they can't just ignore simple improvement like clickbait that result in more revenue. This is one of these "for every person that hates it, there are 1000 people who don't care" situations. This is why practically any big youtuber is doing it. Not playing this game is deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage. But like i said, LTT has had worse titles and thumbnails. These days i think they have found a good balance between descriptive and clickbait.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:04 AM, IkeaGnome said:

Reveal hidden contents

W/o Dearrow

image.thumb.png.6b72d385244601fbae6fec4c149a7092.png

With Dearrow.

image.thumb.png.ab4edcbdc08f974eaaf5279e8b7abb34.png

I just started using the DeArrow extension because of this post and it is life changing! On the LTT channel it changes every title and thumbnail to exactually what I would want it to be.

i personally kinda dont care, in the end its your choice if you want to click on the video and watch through it or not. if the video has clickbait title and thumbnail in any channel i'll try watching it first, if i dont like i just click of. while on the other end if the channel doesnt have clickbait title and thumbnail i probably didnt click it unless im interested in the topic. so i get why they do clickbait.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 5:02 AM, Chris2002 said:

personally kinda dont care, in the end its your choice if you want to click on the video and watch through it or not.

sure, but when experience tells u that videos with clear clickbait titles, or "shocking" in the title or random red arrows are usually not worth watching you eventually stop clicking on them.

On 7/15/2023 at 5:02 AM, Chris2002 said:

while on the other end if the channel doesnt have clickbait title and thumbnail i probably didnt click it unless im interested in the topic

cannot relate, especially the last part, *why* would you watch a video in which topic you aren't interested in?

like for me I'll give it a go if the title/topic interests me, if its non descriptive aka clickbait there's a very low chance for me to click on it (i mean i will, but only the little cross that will block the channel forever,  extensions FTW!)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

For me it’s not an issue, but with caveats.

if I already am a watcher of a particular YouTuber the clickbait titles don’t put me off.

However if I’m looking for something on YT I will actively skip over clickbait titles and images from creators I don’t know 

On 7/9/2023 at 8:42 AM, MrBubbIes said:

The creator of SponsorBlock has recently released a new extension which attempts to remove clickbait. 
LTT made 
a video 6 years ago talking about the change to "cancerous thumbnails".

I would love the communities opinion and from LLT on what this extension is attempting to do.

(How it works: Titles are user submitted and thumbnails picked by users from a frame in the video)

LTT-meme.png

Do you by any chance have a link to the extension? I really like how basic and straight forward the after result is lmao.