The Scariest Fan ever attached to a computer

AlexTheGreatish

Considering the amount of stress on the fan blades i would be worried about the durability of the carbon fiber,

Now days the standard is Nickel based alloys, it used to be Steel based alloys (Usually Steel, Aluminium and Titanium)

Carbon fiber is rigid but brittle.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

They way they say 250A as potentially lethal is very misleading and just dumb advertising.
Not only is just 0.1A is potentially lethal, but no matter how many amps, the voltage also needs to be high enough for it to be a threat.
You don’t see warning signs that say “High amperage”, but you do see warning signs that say “High voltage” because it is the V that makes the A dangerous.
I think the claim of “potentially lethal” comes from the 100VAC; as that is pretty much the minimal that could cause enough current to flow.
Just a writer’s goof perhaps.

Standing in front of the fan with a wig on sure seems fun, but if something tiny were to come loose at some point somewhere…

I get that Linux likes to play, but more safety should be considered perhaps?

2 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

They way they say 250A as potentially lethal is very misleading and just dumb advertising.
Not only is just 0.1A is potentially lethal, but no matter how many amps, the voltage also needs to be high enough for it to be a threat.
You don’t see warning signs that say “High amperage”, but you do see warning signs that say “High voltage” because it is the V that makes the A dangerous.
I think the claim of “potentially lethal” comes from the 100VAC; as that is pretty much the minimal that could cause enough current to flow.
Just a writer’s goof perhaps.

Current burns, voltage electrocutes.

250A can cause serious burns.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

Current burns, voltage electrocutes.

250A can cause serious burns.

So your saying that if I hypothetically had a voltage limited power supply, limited to just 1V, but could supply 250A I could suffer a burn?

The current would cause the electrocution (defibrillation and other issues), because the voltage overcomes the resistance.

So your saying that if I hypothetically had a voltage limited power supply, limited to just 1V, but could supply 250A I could suffer a burn?

My previous comment was an oversimplification.

I think that something like 20V would be adequate,

Voltage can amplify/limit the effect, but the burn is always due to current,

That's why high current requires adequate lower gauge wires or adequate number of multiple higher gauge wires to spread the heat across more surface area and prevent the wires from melting.

From Wikipedia:

• Low-voltage burn. A burn produced by contact with a power source of 500 volts or less is classified as a low-voltage burn. The current at this voltage is not enough to cause tissue damage along its path except at the contact site. This type of burn may be mild, superficial, or severe depending on the contact time.[7]

Anyway here is an example of that:

The current would cause the electrocution (defibrillation and other issues), because the voltage overcomes the resistance.

Current can amplify/limit the effect, but the electrocution is always due to voltage,

That's why more than 90% of electricity related warning signs warn of high voltage:

High Voltage Keep Out Sign - E3438

From Wikipedia:

A domestic power supply voltage (110 or 230 V), 50 or 60 Hz alternating current (AC) through the chest for a duration longer then one second may induce ventricular fibrillation at currents as low as 30 milliamperes (mA).[9][10] With direct current (DC), 90 to 130 mA are required at the same duration.

This one is a good source about it:

On 7/5/2023 at 11:42 AM, GuiltySpark_ said:

Odd products to advertise in 2023. 

If they were going to risk destroying hardware, they wanted to put the least important hardware at risk.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, CoolJosh3k said:

Have you ever seen what shorting out a car battery with a wrench does? That's just 12 volt.

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of HPE's fans used in their C7000 and C3000 blade centers. Though those are only 12 volt ones using a measly 16.5 Amps.

But as a "PC" fan they are quite silly. Especially since the C7000 enclosure has 10 of them. (so that is just 2 kW of fans, or about 15% of the blade center's power consumption.)

image.png.9b53ef35e7f09e0051314f24f9151a7a.png

28 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Reminds me of HPE's fans used in their C7000 and C3000 blade centers. Though those are only 12 volt ones using a measly 16.5 Amps.

But as a "PC" fan they are quite silly. Especially since the C7000 enclosure has 10 of them. (so that is just 2 kW of fans, or about 15% of the blade center's power consumption.)

image.png.9b53ef35e7f09e0051314f24f9151a7a.png

those things were patently absurd.  it's stupid how much they draw lol

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

those things were patently absurd.  it's stupid how much they draw lol

That is true.
But I haven't seen a "PC" fan that matches it yet. It is frankly overkill to use a ducted fan for PC cooling, but blade servers are silly things...