Restoring my first PC, what's "best practice"?

I'm about to restore/erase my old gaming PC, first time for me on a Windows system, and I'd like to know if I'm following "best practice" here. Apart from the obvious such as backing up files that I want to keep around, is this this plan the best one I could follow to really have a peace of mind selling or recycling the system? I've got 2 SSDs by different manufactures, 2nd one has only had games on it.

1. Run Windows restore tool with "Clean data" ticked
  2. Use the drive manufactures secure erase tools(or is this overkill?)
  3. Sell/recycle PC (without drives?)

Is there anything else you usually do when you're about to get rid of an old system? Also, do you usually log out of everything before erasing or do you just skip that?

If you are paranoid about it, selling it without the drives or with a new cheap drive seem like a reasonable options to me.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

13 minutes ago, TGO said:

Use the drive manufactures secure erase tools(or is this overkill?)

If you are selling the system to someone else, and had personal data on the system prior, then it's never overkill.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

16 minutes ago, TGO said:

I'm about to restore/erase my old gaming PC, first time for me on a Windows system, and I'd like to know if I'm following "best practice" here. Apart from the obvious such as backing up files that I want to keep around, is this this plan the best one I could follow to really have a peace of mind selling or recycling the system? I've got 2 drives by different manufactures, 2nd one has only had games on it.

Is there anything else you usually do when you're about to get rid of an old system? Also, do you usually log out of everything before erasing or do you just skip that?

I'd run one of those BIOS secure erase tools (or drive manufacturer tool) and then do a fresh OS install. Assuming you have the license to give away an activated Windows. Or don't activate Windows (new owner can use Windows with some limitations without activation and buy a key if they wish)

Just know on an HDD I used a USB drive tool to secure erase and just 3 passes took over a day. It was a 1.5TB WD green drive. Faster HDD should be faster. But it meets DoD requirements, so should be secure enough, even if someone physically takes the platters out of the drive to analyze.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Depends on your objectives really.

If you want to maximize your profit then selling the system off in parts may yield more money than selling it as a complete Gaming PC but may also lead to more e-waste being left over.

If you want the system in a state where it can be re-used then it will be a little more work as you'll want to preserve the Windows OS License. This is one case where a pre-built system may be easier as most have tools to restore the system to factory default maintaining the OS License.

In any case you should ensure that all personal data is wiped on the system. How much effort you put into the wipe depends on your level of paranoia.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

Alright, I think I'll keep the drives after secure erasing them. What do you usually do with old drives though? Destroy or store them?

It's probably different around the globe, but is it better to sell the system with a brand new cheap drive or just none at all and leave it up to the buyer?

53 minutes ago, TGO said:

Alright, I think I'll keep the drives after secure erasing them. What do you usually do with old drives though? Destroy or store them?

It's probably different around the globe, but is it better to sell the system with a brand new cheap drive or just none at all and leave it up to the buyer?

A complete system buyer would expect a working system ready to use. So with at least an OS drive. A PC without drive may also considered non functioning.

Tinkerers are more likely to just want parts. As others said, parts may be easier to sell for a bit more $. All depends on what you have.

Really, a secure erase is safe enough to sell the drive. The NSA may have capability to read data (or may not), but they can get access to any Internet connected PC anyway. So it is moot to worry about extremely sophisticated data thieves. 8 passes of secure erase and fresh OS installed would make reading any old data impossible short of some space alien technology.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

1 hour ago, Lurking said:

8 passes of secure erase and fresh OS installed would make reading any old data impossible short of some space alien technology.

On a SSD? I thought running secure erase once was enough on these.

1 minute ago, TGO said:

On a SSD? I thought running secure erase once was enough on these.

Technically yes. I didn't know you had SSD since you said drives. With SSD, also ignore my above time it takes since that was for a slow HDD.

The software I used had several options. One was some Department of Defence approved option with 3 or 8 passes. You know, if you happen to have the nuclear codes or something. Or you are extremely paranoid. 

You really don't have to make e-waste out of the drives just because you are worried about data.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

8 hours ago, TGO said:

I'm about to restore/erase my old gaming PC, first time for me on a Windows system, and I'd like to know if I'm following "best practice" here. Apart from the obvious such as backing up files that I want to keep around, is this this plan the best one I could follow to really have a peace of mind selling or recycling the system? I've got 2 drives by different manufactures, 2nd one has only had games on it.

If you are selling it, remove the existing hard drive and sell it without one.

If you are recycling it, same.

Keep the hard drives as long as possible, in general, as that prevents your data from ever ending up in someone elses hands. If you are wanting to sell the drive used, then you will want to use software to do a "military grade wipe" aka DOD wipe. 

https://www.killdisk.com/dod.htm

Take note of the footnote

image.thumb.png.8e50b775c4806c4c46fb0eff6dc1c198.png

image.thumb.png.9bf880991019f91d80237c1a21084bf2.png

Note "sanitize" is always "destroy" or "degauss"

For hard drives only, "overwrite" is sufficient unless the information is secret. 

That tells you everything. So Degaussing would destroy a hard drive (it would likely cause the heads to be ripped apart, (where as tape and floppies are bare magnetic media))

At any rate, it IS sufficient to erase a drive by overwriting it three times with different data unless it is a SSD.

SSD's can be erased in an instant, even by accident. These require using a BIOS feature to do purposely, and is costly to the wear on the SSD.

My personal recommendation is "people are a little too obsessed with what people do with used computers" and your best bet is to remove the drives and dispose of them separately, years later once any data on it is already stale enough to be useless (such as credit card information.) You can always plug the drive back into your computer with a USB chassis if you need to personally rescue data, but you can dispose of the drive alone at any time.

On the flip side of that, if you are trying to sell a "working" computer to someone you know, then I would forgo the "sanitize" and just reformat the drive and install the OS again. But selling it on ebay or such I would not include the drives in the same listing, just to ensure that someone doesn't grab it and immediately unformat/undelete the drive.

this is what i had used in the past since my old PC BIOS didn't have an option (and the WD tool for some reason also didn't).

On old tablets or some other devices that were just outdated and i didn't really want to disassemble, i took a drill and drilled a couple of holes through the device hoping it will destroy something. No crucial data, but an old tablet may have your Netflix login or so (obviously i could just change that password). My daughter had a game controller thing and I really could not find a way to factory-reset it and had to destroy instead of giving it away for free. I think at some time I did the drill thing to an old HDD. No way a normal person gets data of that. 

I never bought a used PC, but if it comes without drive and OS, it isn't a PC, it is a pile of parts. Like selling a car without wheels. As a Joe sixpack I now have to buy a drive, install, it figure out how to buy and install Windows, and then hope the rest of the hardware actually works. I bet 99% of potential buyers don't want to deal with that or fail at some point. they basically want an AIO, but cheaper. 

If the SSD are somehow useful to you, sell all the parts. OR sell as a functioning PC with the SSD (and OS). Everything in between isn't worth it, IMHO. but you can just post it on CL and FB and see how it goes. but selling a complet, but not functioning, PC isn't get you much. 

A while ago I had sold a complete 10 year old PC with W11. I lowered the price to $60, and no one bought it. I then parted it out and sold all parts for maybe $70 and kept the SSD. The SSD was the only thing that was useful at all. It is a 128GB Samsung SATA SSD. In my new rig I use it for the download folder to save a tiny bit wear on my NVME. And if i ever tinker around and build a secondary PC, I can use it for an OS drive. 

I bet if you list what the hardware is,people can give better advice on what is worthwhile to do. All I'm saying is, there is zero need to destroy a functioning drive that still could serve you or someone else. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

13 hours ago, Lurking said:

Technically yes. I didn't know you had SSD since you said drives. With SSD, also ignore my above time it takes since that was for a slow HDD.

Sorry, clarified that in the OP now.

12 hours ago, Kisai said:

My personal recommendation is "people are a little too obsessed with what people do with used computers" and your best bet is to remove the drives and dispose of them separately, years later once any data on it is already stale enough to be useless (such as credit card information.) You can always plug the drive back into your computer with a USB chassis if you need to personally rescue data, but you can dispose of the drive alone at any time.

This is exactly what I had in mind actually. When you dispose the drive, do you destroy it first or just toss it in at the recycling center?

10 hours ago, Lurking said:

this is what i had used in the past since my old PC BIOS didn't have an option (and the WD tool for some reason also didn't).

It didn't? One of my drives is a WD Blue and I'm sure I saw an option to create a bootable USB for their secure erase tool.

Replying more generally, my original plan is still solid? I'm going to check around locally to see what people are willing to buy. Problem is that the 1080Ti in that system started dying this year and the CPU (7700K) is being dropped from all Windows support when W10 hits the grave in 2 years. Perhaps I'll just put it up without drives(+Windows) and see if anyone's willing to buy it or in parts.

2 minutes ago, TGO said:

This is exactly what I had in mind actually. When you dispose the drive, do you destroy it first or just toss it in at the recycling center?

If you are concerned that someone might recover the data, do a full format of it, or a zero'ing of it (use tools, or a linux usb boot drive like DBAN) is "good enough" to dissuade someone from recovering the data, but if you need to be sure, you will want to open it up, remove the platters and physically break/scratch/shred/bend them. Then break the PCB's in half. Then recycle them.

Generally, you don't need to do that except for data that you absolutely must ensure is destroyed (eg tax records, private photos/video and credit card transaction data.) To be honest, recovering data is difficult, but people sometimes see it as a personal challenge to just grab used drives off ebay to recover the data.

Corporate Recyclers are SUPPOSED to wipe and destroy drives, but that tends to not be the case because they want to resell parts. You can wipe stuff, usually "good enough" if you overwrite them a few times, but that takes time and energy. If you're only going to get $20 for the drive, you're not going to pay someone $100 (time and energy) to wipe the drive. That's why drives are generally destroyed instead (because someone can just take a hydraulic press, take a drill to it, or even just drop it off a 10 story building into a parking lot.) Takes a few seconds, and maybe you get some entertainment out of it.

2 minutes ago, TGO said:

Replying more generally, my original plan is still solid? I'm going to check around locally to see what people are willing to buy. Problem is that the 1080Ti in that system started dying this year and the CPU (7700K) is being dropped from all Windows support when W10 hits the grave in 2 years. Perhaps I'll just put it up without drives(+Windows) and see if anyone's willing to buy it or in parts.

You can still use that CPU in a linux system. So don't write it completely off. If someone just needs the CPU or CPU+MB+RAM combo. 6th gen and 7th gen cpu's are still viable to run linux web/nas servers.

If it's an m.2 drive it'll go through a medium sized paper shredder with very little effort.  if it's 2.5 inch drive open it up and put the circuit board through the same shredder

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Instead of putting your drive through a paper shredder or bashing it with a hammer... If you don't want to include the SSD in a full build to sell, then why not just keep it as a physical backup for your data? It's not a bad thing to have.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll go ahead and wipe them with Windows, then their secure erase tools and then I'll probably keep them stored until I need them. Or it's time to let go.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:47 PM, TGO said:

if u keep them then why delete them? free backups of ur old files basically... (can be read by any windows/ linux system too)

On 7/6/2023 at 12:57 PM, TGO said:

my original plan is still solid?

no, it seems extremely wasteful 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

When I sold my PC with an SSD and a HDD few years ago, I nuked the data on the HDD with DBAN, I think it writes zeros, then random data and then zeros again, or something like that and at that point I would consider it safe. For the SSD I used Samsung's own feature to wipe it, should be fine because it's an SSD.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This is what I heard 2 decades ago

After wiping a drive, write junk files to fill the drive , repeat a few times

Even some could restore anything, that would be your junk files

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

if u keep them then why delete them? free backups of ur old files basically... (can be read by any windows/ linux system too)

I don't really feel like having a drive with a lot of information and data about me just laying around, ripe for accidentally being tossed or stolen. The only things I haven't transferred to the new system I can just put on a USB drive. My new main SSD has half a terabyte more capacity than both my old drives combined, don't see the need of putting them in it.

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

no, it seems extremely wasteful 

What difference is it between keeping them erased versus not when I have no use for them?

2 hours ago, TGO said:

I don't really feel like having a drive with a lot of information and data about me just laying around, ripe for accidentally being tossed or stolen. 

That's what usually happens, people forget, and stick things in the yard sale.

2 hours ago, TGO said:

What difference is it between keeping them erased versus not when I have no use for them?

Depends what was on it. If it was just like itunes mp3's or something, it doesn't matter, but people again underestimate the value of personal photos and documents.

I personally do not get rid of hard drives and stick them in a box. I'm more worried about the possibility someone recovering a drive out of curiosity.

If you want to 'overwrite' with impunity, rip a video, download (a rickroll) off youtube if you have to, and just copy it hundreds of times until the disk space is exhausted.