Connecting win 7 pc to network

Azurium

Hello this may be a odd question as I can't find a answer anywhere for what I'm wanting to do. 

So what I'm looking at is if it is safe to connect a Windows 7 machine to my home network. So this machine is for playing older games that I can't install on Windows 10 or 11. The computer would only be used to access my server for game installers and I would not be using it to access the Internet but would it be safe to do so or is there a way you can disable the computer from accessing the Internet. 

Add a second network card to your server, create a direct connection between the Windows 7 machine and the server. Use only FTP or something equivalent (SFTP/FTPS/HTTPS) to transfer the files from your server to the machine. 

Or you could just use Macrium Reflect or some other software to create a disk image of the operating system with everything set up - if it gets infected, you just nuke the partition and write the disk image to the drive again and then install the games if needed (you could have the Steam folder or games folder in separate partition)

You should be able to get into the router, and blacklist the IP of the WIn7 box, from outside network access. We do this on our legacy win7 boxes at work.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I mean i just connect my windows 7 test os like id connect anything else, i really dont see why everyones so freaking scared about connecting w7 to the internet, so what if it somehow gets infected ill just reinstall the thing

Thanks. I'll have a look at these options. And I know people are scared about connecting w7 or older to the internet. I'm not bothered if the computer gets infected I'm more bothered if my other machines on the network get infected with something that was able to be inserted though the older operating system. May just be me being paranoid but I would rather not have mine or my wife's computers infected. 

2 hours ago, Azurium said:

Thanks. I'll have a look at these options. And I know people are scared about connecting w7 or older to the internet. I'm not bothered if the computer gets infected I'm more bothered if my other machines on the network get infected with something that was able to be inserted though the older operating system. May just be me being paranoid but I would rather not have mine or my wife's computers infected. 

That is a very real possibility and how viruses move laterally across networks; they get into one compromised device and use that as a way to spread. That is a valid concern, and taking proper steps to mitigate the risk is advisable. What others have said are good options. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air