2080 Super Overheating issues

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
7 hours ago, Cornflake said:

"The card and case are clean. I have exchanged the thermal paste of the card before. I found it was very dried out, and changing actually fixed it for about 1 month before it was back to its loud old self."

In terms of liquid metal, would it break the card immediately or just not be good for longevity?

yeah, typically its an issue for longevity (but it can just randomly spill and damage  something too....) also if your cooler is aluminum for example its not even an option (lm destroys aluminum very quickly) 

Hi, long time viewer first time poster.

Ive had a Gigabyte 2080 Super Windforce OC for about 3 years now. The card doesn't thermal throttle, though it does get VERY loud frequently. The fans seem to jump from about 60-70% to 100% for a minute and back down. Here's some information about my system and ideas to fix it, it would help me a lot to get some opinions on this.

The card was originally in a mid tower with a glass panel, and has now been moved into a ITX case (with good airflow, the Hyte revolt 3) With the switch I also changed from Intel to Amd.

The card and case are clean. I have exchanged the thermal paste of the card before. I found it was very dried out, and changing actually fixed it for about 1 month before it was back to its loud old self. Here's some system specs: 

Ryzen 5 7600

2080 Super

16gb DDR5

Asus Strixs ITX mobo 

Windows 11

I feel like the card runs hotter because of some manufacturers defect, I got it new but discounted on ebay. 

I've thought about 1. liquid metal instead of the thermal paste to fix the drying out issue, and 2. deshrouding it and putting on 2 be quiet case fans. The visuals of the card aren't important, and voiding the warranty doesn't matter since its run out anyways. 

Thank you for any and all help. :)

1 minute ago, Cornflake said:

and voiding the warranty doesn't matter since its run out anyways. 

even if you did have a warranty, you would have to take off the back screws for the heatsink to void it. But since you've already done that it's not a problem

2 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

The card doesn't thermal throttle, though it does get VERY loud frequently. The fans seem to jump from about 60-70% to 100% for a minute and back down. Here's some information about my system and ideas to fix it, it would help me a lot to get some opinions on this.

is this just normally?/starting up?/in game? 

Also how are the temps?
I might try and tune the fan curve in msi afterburner first and go from there

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, filpo said:

even if you did have a warranty, you would have to take off the back screws for the heatsink to void it. But since you've already done that it's not a problem

is this just normally?/starting up?/in game? 

Also how are the temps?
I might try and tune the fan curve in msi afterburner first and go from there

The happens in game, though the title doesn't have to be very demanding for it to 100%. 

At 60% Utilisation for about a hour of playing, it's hovering between 80-85 °C

did u replace the thermal paste yet, yes or no?

Also *do not* use liquid metal for gpus

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

did u replace the thermal paste yet, yes or no?

Also *do not* use liquid metal for gpus

"The card and case are clean. I have exchanged the thermal paste of the card before. I found it was very dried out, and changing actually fixed it for about 1 month before it was back to its loud old self."

In terms of liquid metal, would it break the card immediately or just not be good for longevity?

15 hours ago, Cornflake said:

Hi, long time viewer first time poster.

Ive had a Gigabyte 2080 Super Windforce OC for about 3 years now. The card doesn't thermal throttle, though it does get VERY loud frequently. The fans seem to jump from about 60-70% to 100% for a minute and back down. Here's some information about my system and ideas to fix it, it would help me a lot to get some opinions on this.

The card was originally in a mid tower with a glass panel, and has now been moved into a ITX case (with good airflow, the Hyte revolt 3) With the switch I also changed from Intel to Amd.

The card and case are clean. I have exchanged the thermal paste of the card before. I found it was very dried out, and changing actually fixed it for about 1 month before it was back to its loud old self. Here's some system specs: 

Ryzen 5 7600

2080 Super

16gb DDR5

Asus Strixs ITX mobo 

Windows 11

I feel like the card runs hotter because of some manufacturers defect, I got it new but discounted on ebay. 

I've thought about 1. liquid metal instead of the thermal paste to fix the drying out issue, and 2. deshrouding it and putting on 2 be quiet case fans. The visuals of the card aren't important, and voiding the warranty doesn't matter since its run out anyways. 

Thank you for any and all help. 🙂

its a gigabyte issue with the hotspot (some other ones as well)

your temps might seem fine but you should check the hotspot temp. I had the exact same issue with my gigabyte 2070s. it is now in my partners pc and i fixed it by simply reducing the power draw of the card to 90% she didnt lose any perf but the gpu hotspot temp does not get anywhere close to cause these rampid fan speed ups. which would usually happen if i remember correctly at 105 degrees on the hotspot. i could repaste it but for now it doesnt seem necessary. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

7 hours ago, Cornflake said:

yeah, typically its an issue for longevity (but it can just randomly spill and damage  something too....) also if your cooler is aluminum for example its not even an option (lm destroys aluminum very quickly) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

its a gigabyte issue with the hotspot (some other ones as well)

your temps might seem fine but you should check the hotspot temp. I had the exact same issue with my gigabyte 2070s. it is now in my partners pc and i fixed it by simply reducing the power draw of the card to 90% she didnt lose any perf but the gpu hotspot temp does not get anywhere close to cause these rampid fan speed ups. which would usually happen if i remember correctly at 105 degrees on the hotspot. i could repaste it but for now it doesnt seem necessary. 

Alright that makes sense, and I would do this by undervolting in msi afterburner for example? 

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ops I didn't mean to mark that as solved. But okay no liquid metal. I used thermal grizzly when I repasted. Any other pastes more resistant to dry out?

19 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

Ops I didn't mean to mark that as solved. But okay no liquid metal. I used thermal grizzly when I repasted. Any other pastes more resistant to dry out?

i use mx4, should last a long time and is reliable

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

Alright that makes sense, and I would do this by undervolting in msi afterburner for example? 

yes you can do that or the easy way is to simply drag the power slider down per 5 untill under load it doesnt happen anymore. than fine tune it and your done. Combining it with the uv might show better results. 
im guessing you know how the uv works and what the most simple way to do it in afterburner is?

if not here is a video you can follow that shows you how to do it easily.:

but do make sure via hwinfo that it is indeed the hotspot thats causing the issue. just in case 🙂

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate