7900x + 7900xt for simultaneous Stream & Game

EdiAces

Hi everyone,

I was trying to setup my old laptop to function as a streaming devise but the integrated Nvidia mx card is a POS. So I was wondering if my current setup would be enough to stream and game simultaneously in my gaming PC and is it recommended?

Alternatively, looking to buy a laptop with a 3060, but I'm trying to avoid spending more than I need to. Any thoughts/help?

Thanks.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:53 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since you have the PC, why not try it? Software like OBS is free.

It should be more than capable of streming. 

Thanks for the reply. What I'm worried is the strain in the cpu, don't want it to get too hot. RN I have a Noctua NH15 cpu cooler with dual fans and 10 corsair fans (6 in, 4 out) o  the chassis. Playind divinity 2, the temp hovers through 68. Any thoughts? 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:53 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since you have the PC, why not try it? Software like OBS is free.

It should be more than capable of streming. 

Also for context, using an elgato capture card for dual pc setup, thats why I was trying to setup the old laptop for streaming. 

3 hours ago, EdiAces said:

Thanks for the reply. What I'm worried is the strain in the cpu, don't want it to get too hot. RN I have a Noctua NH15 cpu cooler with dual fans and 10 corsair fans (6 in, 4 out) o  the chassis. Playind divinity 2, the temp hovers through 68. Any thoughts? 

I wouldn't worry about temps. 68c is well within spec, and it can get a good amount hotter without an issue.

There is also hardware encoding on your gpu you can try.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I wouldn't worry about temps. 68c is well within spec, and it can get a good amount hotter without an issue.

There is also hardware encoding on your gpu you can try.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Can you be specific on what I can try with hardware encoding? That part I'm not familiar with. 

2 hours ago, EdiAces said:

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Can you be specific on what I can try with hardware encoding? That part I'm not familiar with. 

Your gpu has a hardware encoder. You can set obs to use the hardware encoder on the gpu. Its basically amds version of nvenc.

10 hours ago, EdiAces said:

It's not 2003 anymore. 

There's records of people running server CPUs at 100C for YEARS. Similar story for laptop CPUs. 

AMD's max stated temp for the 7900x is 95C and the CPU will automatically slow itself if it goes past that. 

By the time it matters, you can buy a faster CPU for basically nothing. 

I'd have to look for the video but there's a CPU designer from Intel talking about how it's weird that people worry about this. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your gpu has a hardware encoder. You can set obs to use the hardware encoder on the gpu. Its basically amds version of nvenc.

Beautiful, will work on that. Appreciated 👍👍

2 hours ago, cmndr said:

It's not 2003 anymore. 

There's records of people running server CPUs at 100C for YEARS. Similar story for laptop CPUs. 

AMD's max stated temp for the 7900x is 95C and the CPU will automatically slow itself if it goes past that. 

By the time it matters, you can buy a faster CPU for basically nothing. 

I'd have to look for the video but there's a CPU designer from Intel talking about how it's weird that people worry about this. 

Lol its funny you should say that, last time I I built a PC was 2008, not counting this year of course. So the temp situation had me kinna concerned. Will look into acceptable temps with this. Again, greatly appreciated. 

18 hours ago, EdiAces said:

Lol its funny you should say that, last time I I built a PC was 2008, not counting this year of course. So the temp situation had me kinna concerned. Will look into acceptable temps with this. Again, greatly appreciated. 

Anecdote - I know someone who bought a Dell computer with an i7 920 (CPU that came out in 2008). The CPU heatsink practically fell off once some plastic split. 

He was running effectively without a heatsink for a year or two and it never killed his CPU. His CPU regularly hit 100C doing basically nothing. 

CPUs 15 years later are more heat resilient. 

If a CPU can run for years without a heatsink, a more modern, heat resistant CPU, with a heatsink will probably be fine running at 30-80% load most of the time - in theory they're warrantied for 100% load at high temps for several years. And yeah, your CPU is unlikely to be pegged. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800