Is the 2000D a good camera?

I'm going to go a trip to another country and I am looking for a good camera to take with me.

I am a complete noobie when it comes to cameras.I have watched a couple of yt vids and I have chosen the Canon 2000D according to my budget.I am a beginner hence I think this will fit me.Can you guys give me your view.

3 hours ago, GeorgeWonks said:

I'm going to go a trip to another country and I am looking for a good camera to take with me.

I am a complete noobie when it comes to cameras.I have watched a couple of yt vids and I have chosen the Canon 2000D according to my budget.I am a beginner hence I think this will fit me.Can you guys give me your view.

Is this a long-term trip or like a 1-2 week vacation?

Bringing an unfamiliar camera with you on a trip is a bad decision unless you're very comfortable and experienced with switching settings on the fly. If you're going with other people who like to post and share pictures, keep in mind it's going to be a juggling act of using a smartphone because people want instantaneous pictures, and then slowly switching back to the camera.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

13 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Is this a long-term trip or like a 1-2 week vacation?

Bringing an unfamiliar camera with you on a trip is a bad decision unless you're very comfortable and experienced with switching settings on the fly. If you're going with other people who like to post and share pictures, keep in mind it's going to be a juggling act of using a smartphone because people want instantaneous pictures, and then slowly switching back to the camera.

It's gonna be atleast 2 weeks, I thought of buying it this month so I would have atleast 1 month to practice with it to get used to the controls before going.Would it be fine

15 hours ago, oofki said:

It’s okay. It’s a starter SLR

Ok thanx

On 6/25/2023 at 2:12 AM, GeorgeWonks said:

It's gonna be atleast 2 weeks, I thought of buying it this month so I would have atleast 1 month to practice with it to get used to the controls before going.Would it be fine

Under the assumption that you know what you're doing, yes it would be fine.
"Real" cameras still use superior sensors and they have access to better lenses which IMO make the bigger difference

What is your budget though?

Are you purchasing just the camera body, or are you buying a bundle that includes the kit lens?

Just some things you should know;

APS-C Crop

The 2000D uses an APS-C sensor which means there will be a 1.5x crop applied to lens focal lengths.

Focal lengths are based around Full Frame (35mm) image sensors so multipliers are used when dealing with smaller (APS-C) and larger (medium format) sensors

If you use a 24mm lens on an APS-C sensor, it will give you a 36mm focal length

A 50mm lens will give you 75mm

Smartphone Focal Lengths

Smartphones nowadays have 3 different modules for standard (wide angle) 1x, telephoto 2x or 3x, and ultrawide 0.5x

If we use an iPhone 14 Pro as our example;

- wide angle lens = 24mm

- 2x telephoto lens = 48mm

- 3x telephoto lens = 77mm

- ultrawide angle lens = 13mm

It's worth knowing about those because this can be a jarring difference going from smartphone photography to a real camera. You'll probably come across suggestions like using a "nifty fifty" 50mm lens because it's an excellent balance of quality, price, and performance; good for portrait photography and street photography. But if you refer back to the smartphone focal lengths, a 50mm focal length is equivalent to using 2x zoom! So you're going to come across a lot of situations where you have to back up a lot just to capture everything in the frame.

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 6/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

It's worth knowing about those because this can be a jarring difference going from smartphone photography to a real camera. You'll probably come across suggestions like using a "nifty fifty" 50mm lens because it's an excellent balance of quality, price, and performance; good for portrait photography and street photography. But if you refer back to the smartphone focal lengths, a 50mm focal length is equivalent to using 2x zoom! So you're going to come across a lot of situations where you have to back up a lot just to capture everything in the frame.

50mm can be great for portraits on APS-C.  Back when I had my D7200 I mostly used a FF 24mm all the time.  I use the 18-55 on the XT4 that replaced it.  I'd like more lenses but its already so expensive.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I have a budget of about 500 dollars,I got a good deal fr the 2000d,with a 18-55mm and and a 50mm prime lens.

There is another package called the accessory package where they give SD cards, carrying cases,dry box etc.

I thought of getting the first package because it gives another

Lens which would be helpful.I watched a lot of yt vids and with some practice I think I can handle it 

On 6/26/2023 at 9:40 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Under the assumption that you know what you're doing, yes it would be fine.
"Real" cameras still use superior sensors and they have access to better lenses which IMO make the bigger difference

What is your budget though?

Are you purchasing just the camera body, or are you buying a bundle that includes the kit lens?

Just some things you should know;

APS-C Crop

The 2000D uses an APS-C sensor which means there will be a 1.5x crop applied to lens focal lengths.

Focal lengths are based around Full Frame (35mm) image sensors so multipliers are used when dealing with smaller (APS-C) and larger (medium format) sensors

If you use a 24mm lens on an APS-C sensor, it will give you a 36mm focal length

A 50mm lens will give you 75mm

Smartphone Focal Lengths

Smartphones nowadays have 3 different modules for standard (wide angle) 1x, telephoto 2x or 3x, and ultrawide 0.5x

If we use an iPhone 14 Pro as our example;

- wide angle lens = 24mm

- 2x telephoto lens = 48mm

- 3x telephoto lens = 77mm

- ultrawide angle lens = 13mm

I have a oppo a15,which is decent but I also want to go for the photography path so that's why I looking for a beginner camera,I'm mainly taking the cam for the trip.

So if I take a 50mm prime lens,you are saying it give 75mm?

1 hour ago, GeorgeWonks said:

I have a oppo a15,which is decent but I also want to go for the photography path so that's why I looking for a beginner camera,I'm mainly taking the cam for the trip.

So if I take a 50mm prime lens,you are saying it give 75mm?

That 18-55mm zoom lens will give you an effective focal length of 27-82.5mm.

Yes, that 50mm will be a 75mm on your camera.

Longer focal lengths that like are mostly used for portrait photography due to its ability to compress the background, nicely isolate between the subject and background, and give you a better bokeh, and longer focal lengths are flattering to a person's facial features. But obviously use whatever focal length is best in your situation.

focal-length-gif-in-photography-1.gif

On 6/28/2023 at 7:44 AM, saintlouisbagels said:

That 18-55mm zoom lens will give you an effective focal length of 27-82.5mm.

Yes, that 50mm will be a 75mm on your camera.

Longer focal lengths that like are mostly used for portrait photography due to its ability to compress the background, nicely isolate between the subject and background, and give you a better bokeh, and longer focal lengths are flattering to a person's facial features. But obviously use whatever focal length is best in your situation.

I got a good deal fr the 2000d,with a 18-55mm and and a 50mm prime lens.

There is another package called the accessory package where they give SD cards, carrying cases,dry box etc.

Lens which would be helpful.I watched a lot of yt vids and with some practice I think I can handle it 

5 hours ago, GeorgeWonks said:

I got a good deal fr the 2000d,with a 18-55mm and and a 50mm prime lens.

I noticed you made an extra thread...

Does the accessory pack include 1st party batteries? I think you'll find more value in the accessory pack than having a 50mm (75mm effective) prime lens, unless you plan on taking portrait photography of people on your trip.

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I noticed you made an extra thread...

Does the accessory pack include 1st party batteries? I think you'll find more value in the accessory pack than having a 50mm (75mm effective) prime lens, unless you plan on taking portrait photography of people on your trip.

It does not include anything like that,it mostly includes SD card, dry cabinet,a case cleaning kits.No battery or other electric device 

The 2000D is a decent starter camera, but I would advise looking at used gear aswell, it can sometimes be a better deal. As I heard in a video a long time ago, there is no "bad camera" especially for photography nowadays, there are some better than others but you will always be able to take good enough pictures with basically any camera that came out after 2015