Leaving PC on for 48 hours??

PcBeExpensive

Hi, just wondering if its safe to leave my PC on for something like 48 hours on games like roblox just afking with graphic settings to the lowest. 

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240

Motherboard: Asus ROG strix B550-f gaming

GPU: Asus DUAL RTX 2060 OC

Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50 

Fans: 4 non PWM deepcool fans and 2 PWM asus tuf fans.

P.S I will be out for like 32 hours so I will not respond for a while!

My First PC
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Provided it’s not entirely unattended, just because of the inherent,

albeit very rare, fire risk.

Plenty of machines have absurdly long at-load uptimes. A conventional consumer gaming pc will be fine being run near indefinitely at load provided it’s cooled properly.

3 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Hi, just wondering if its safe to leave my PC on for something like 48 hours on games like roblox just afking with graphic settings to the lowest. 

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG strix B550-f gaming

GPU: Asus DUAL RTX 2060 OC

Fans: 4 non PWM deepcool fans and 2 PWM asus tuf fans.

P.S I will be out for like 32 hours so I will not respond for a while!

Check your temps, if they are reasonable (70 degrees or less)  then there should be no problem if your system/internet/power is stable

as long as temps are under controle it should be fine

Left mine on for 4 weeks then rebooted.  Repeated this cycle for years.  Eventually the power supply failed with sparks and smoke.  I was there when it happened, so I pulled the plug.  As previously mentioned there is a risk of fire.

18 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

Oled display: not fine.

Still pretty fine provided youre running some form of screensaver, and its a good oled to begin with.

So depending on how accurate my hard drives SMART data is.  My Samsung 970 Evo was purchased and installed in 10/2019.  SMART data shows 1108 days (26,604 hours) of "on" time.  There has been only 1350 (32,400 hours) days since I installed the drive so it has been powered on roughly 82% of the time for the past 3+ years with no issues.  Not sure of a way to tell the longest stretch it went without a power cycle but I know the machine can go weeks without a restart as long as windows updates don't require it.

Edit to update; Checked my current uptime is 5day, 14hr, 36min

Its fine as long as the PC doesn't overheat. You can leave it open all year if you want, too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, cwalins said:

Left mine on for 4 weeks then rebooted.  Repeated this cycle for years.  Eventually the power supply failed with sparks and smoke.  I was there when it happened, so I pulled the plug.  As previously mentioned there is a risk of fire.

Power supplies are kinda more likely to fail during power up due to the inherent power spikes during that time.

Of course power supplies failing may also not be obvious if left powered on as when the capacitors start to die quite often they will still be just able to function enough when warm, but go completely out of spec when cold, again leading to the above.

The risk of a good PSU causing a fire is slim, they will blow a fuse/shut down before they become dangerous.  I would say its slightly more risky with something using the GPU given the higher current draw, but its never put me off given I run Folding@Home during cold weather which is hammering the GPU 24/7 for weeks.

I mean there is obviously a slight risk with any electrical device running 24/7, which is why some people turn their broadband router off when going on holiday.  But honestly, there's more risk of your fridge/freezer starting a fire.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Used to leave my PC on 24/7 unless going away on holiday.

Came back from a 2 week break and it didn't turn on. Rushed off to the computer fair to build

another system and whilst that was installing and updating I tried the old system a few more

times and it booted up.

Due to all my software and files being on the old system I used it for another 2 years and the new

system rarely got used.

Really strange that it didn't turn on but it was trouble free for ages after.

i mean, it will be fine

13 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

like 48 hours on games like roblox just afking with graphic settings to the lowest. 

....but why this?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 6/24/2023 at 2:43 PM, Arika S said:

i mean, it will be fine

....but why this?

IDK dude, all my friends play this game that u can AFK in and get pretty decent rewards for doing so. It's a pretty fun anime game.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:56 AM, Supersonicwolfe said:

Check your temps, if they are reasonable (70 degrees or less)  then there should be no problem if your system/internet/power is stable

Well after 8 hours the GPU is at like 60c and the CPU at 50c, if I keep the fans at max tho (the PWM ones) it should be good tho>

On 6/24/2023 at 1:19 AM, 8tg said:

Still pretty fine provided youre running some form of screensaver, and its a good oled to begin with.

I just leave my monnitor off.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:17 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Power supplies are kinda more likely to fail during power up due to the inherent power spikes during that time.

Of course power supplies failing may also not be obvious if left powered on as when the capacitors start to die quite often they will still be just able to function enough when warm, but go completely out of spec when cold, again leading to the above.

The risk of a good PSU causing a fire is slim, they will blow a fuse/shut down before they become dangerous.  I would say its slightly more risky with something using the GPU given the higher current draw, but its never put me off given I run Folding@Home during cold weather which is hammering the GPU 24/7 for weeks.

I mean there is obviously a slight risk with any electrical device running 24/7, which is why some people turn their broadband router off when going on holiday.  But honestly, there's more risk of your fridge/freezer starting a fire.

I have an RM650x, isn't that a good unit? Also if the PSU does end up causing a fire or anything does wouldnt home insurance or the company of the part that caused the issue have to pay for all damages?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Ive seen some post on linux server have uptimes of decade.

while a windows system wouldn't last that long 48 hours is ezy

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

Sure why not. I'm rather curious why you would want to AFK the game.

3 hours ago, Cl0udsForDays said:

Sure why not. I'm rather curious why you would want to AFK the game.

you can get a crazy amount of recourses for doing absolutely nothing.

My First PC

8 hours ago, NadiaMayer said:

Ive seen some post on linux server have uptimes of decade.

while a windows system wouldn't last that long 48 hours is ezy

Considering Windows default state is fast boot which is a hybrid hibernate, its as if the kernel was always running.  Its one reason why disabling fast boot can be a good idea as it means Windows always comes up in a clean state.

That said, I regularly leave my AI box idling:

Screenshot2023-06-25225420.thumb.png.7120895cbf16a64bd2a353fb25be2b14.png

Of course my Linux server:
22:57:29 up 22 days,  7:22, 10 users,  load average: 1.30, 2.21, 2.12

I think the average is about 3 months considering there are major OS updates every 6 months or so, but its generally better to reboot to keep the kernel up-to-date.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

I leave my desktop on 24/7 and it only reboots when I apply updates every 2 weeks or so.

16 hours a day or so it runs folding at home with 15 Cpu Threads and the GPU at 100% utilization.

My home server has not been rebooted since last year.

It's fine to leave a PC on.

ok, thanks then.

My First PC

I used to leave Flight Simulator running 24/7 on my computer, back in the day. 2, sometimes 3 weeks, game running at 100%. Never had any issues, that machine died when it took a power surge during a thunderstorm.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

My AMD 7900X with 32GB and a MSI B650 Pro ran for 4 months at 100%, then the cpu ans mobo died

the cpu was capped at 95W and undervolted

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

Data centers run like this all the time, I believe linode (may not be them, but i know someone was doing this) even has servers running consumer grade ryzen chips that run 24/7. 

• 2 weeks later...

Won't be an issue, barring any mechanical or electrical issue with the computer. I have systems at home which have racked up a decade or so of runtime, running software such as Folding@Home and video games constantly. As long as it's maintained periodically (Dusted, thermal compound re-applied when needed), it should run indefinitely so long as components don't outright fail.

3 hours ago, Smith6612 said:

Won't be an issue, barring any mechanical or electrical issue with the computer. I have systems at home which have racked up a decade or so of runtime, running software such as Folding@Home and video games constantly. As long as it's maintained periodically (Dusted, thermal compound re-applied when needed), it should run indefinitely so long as components don't outright fail.

Yeaah, how often do you think I should replace the thermal paste?

My First PC