5800x lower wattage after all core ryzenmaster OC

Hi I'm a noob when coming to overclocking. I recently got a 5800x and I was told to do the ryzenmaster all core OC. It pushed core clocks up to 4.95ghz all core but lowered wattage. It was running at 150w staying at 4.8 and 4.7ghz all core. Now it runs at 120 to 130 watts. I feel like that's wrong due to the fact overclocking should increase wattage not lower it. 

It sounds more like it's incredibly unstable and clock stretching like crazy. 4.95GHz all core is basically unheard of outside of subambient cooling. You can confirm this by running a benchmark and seeing how the score relates to stock. 

You really don't want to be doing an all core OC on Ryzen 5000 outside of competitive benchmarking, usually you'll end up with worse performance overall than just enabling PBO and calling it a day. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It sounds more like it's incredibly unstable and clock stretching like crazy. 4.95GHz all core is basically unheard of outside of subambient cooling. You can confirm this by running a benchmark and seeing how the score relates to stock. 

You can verify by running cinebench, scores lower than 4.8 allcore = clock stretching

I think hwinfo can also report effective clockspeed

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You really don't want to be doing an all core OC on Ryzen 5000 outside of competitive benchmarking, usually you'll end up with worse performance overall than just enabling PBO and calling it a day. 

How high can pbo even boost the cpu singlecore anyways? apparently around 5ghz is possible but that seems like a pretty small jump in clockspeed, and afaik allcore tends to be abit lower than manually setting a static volt allcore oc

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

How high can pbo even boost the cpu singlecore anyways?

5.0GHz to 5.1GHz depending on the chip. There's a couple that can do 5.2 though it's pretty rare. 

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

afaik allcore tends to be abit lower than manually setting a static volt allcore oc

Depends on how you stress test. If you consider cinebench a stress test, sure it's 3-5% faster all core. If you use an actual stress test like Linpack or Prime95, it's 3-5% slower as you'll max out somewhere around 4.5-4.6GHz rather than 4.7-4.8GHz you will get with PBO in more realistic all core workloads. Either way it's an inconsequential amount of performance and not worth the effort when compared to just turning on PBO. 

Whats the point of overclocking Ryzen 5000 outside of competitive benchmarking?  Why do you want to use more power?  i don't get it,  more power = more heat = lower performance >.>

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/19/2023 at 6:42 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

You really don't want to be doing an all core OC on Ryzen 5000 outside of competitive benchmarking, usually you'll end up with worse performance overall than just enabling PBO and calling it 

I have had no stability issues. Full load Cpu runs at 4.95 for about 10 seconds then drops to 4.85 to 4.75ghz(hyper 212 cooler with 2 fans). With cinabench r23 it went from 14500-15200 score to now pushing 16600 on the high end. With 112w and 75c to 80c vs the PBO 140-150w and 85c to 90c at 4.8 locked. Even blender has seen a minor decrease in time. Only games like csgo took a decrease from 560fps to 480fps avg.

On 6/19/2023 at 7:47 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You can verify by running cinebench, scores lower than 4.8 allcore = clock stretching

I think hwinfo can also report effective clockspeed

How high can pbo even boost the cpu singlecore anyways? apparently around 5ghz is possible but that seems like a pretty small jump in clockspeed, and afaik allcore tends to be abit lower than manually setting a static volt allcore oc

in my experience with a 3600 pbo does *nothing* for higher clockspeeds (cause the limits are still in effect, even though maybe you can turn them off?) but what it does is hold high/max frequency *longer* so that's why scores go up. combine that with an undervolt and you'll have the optimal settings in my experience (more voltage or default just produces more heat and lower scores, so thats useless) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

in my experience with a 3600 pbo does *nothing* for higher clockspeeds (cause the limits are still in effect, even though maybe you can turn them off?) but what it does is hold high/max frequency *longer* so that's why scores go up. combine that with an undervolt and you'll have the optimal settings in my experience (more voltage or default just produces more heat and lower scores, so thats useless) 

I think its fmax limit you have to raise, you can also crank bclk abit but that seems limited to 103-104 *unless you set pcie link speed to gen3 or gen2