Ryzen 5 5600x with RTX 4070???

Purplescotti

I’m new to this whole of space I just built my first PC with a ryzen 5 5600x, Msi b550 mother board, 16gb ram, and a gigabyte Rtx 3060. It runs pretty good imo. Fortnite/Apex/over watch/CSGO all ran at 1440p and were all in the 140-250 fps range. I even ran the new demo lies of P at max settings with everything turned up and it never went down the 120 fps mark. The only issue I’m having is warzone runs at 80-100fps at 1440p with low settings. And I mean everything low. Turning DLSS on helps a little but only on multiplayer where I’ll get 130fps but warzone still nothing over 100. Besides that I’m pretty happy with the build but I have a great opportunity to get an Rtx 4070 founders edition and after watching a lot of benchmarks I thought this was a great upgrade until I started hearing the word bottle neck and stuff. I’m not even sure what it means so I just wanted to know will upgrading my GPU cause that? Will it make it better? should I even upgrade? Is there anything I could do to push warzone a frames up a bit more? 

"Bottleneck" means your components are not balanced. Pairing a powerful GPU with a slow CPU means your GPU will get bottlenecked and won't be able to push itself to 100% because CPU is holding it back.

That said, 5600x should pair nicely with RTX4070

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

5 minutes ago, IT GEEK said:

do you know much about dell laptops?

No not really. Laptop wise I’ve never used windows I always had Apple products this pc is my first windows computer 

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

"Bottleneck" means your components are not balanced. Pairing a powerful GPU with a slow CPU means your GPU will get bottlenecked and won't be able to push itself to 100% because CPU is holding it back.

That said, 5600x should pair nicely with RTX4070

Perfect thanks for the clarification. is there a way to check that on the computer? Like as of right now if I wanted to know for example if my 5600x and my 4070 were causing a bottle neck how would I check or know? 

12 minutes ago, Purplescotti said:

Perfect thanks for the clarification. is there a way to check that on the computer? Like as of right now if I wanted to know for example if my 5600x and my 4070 were causing a bottle neck how would I check or know? 

Nope. While there are sites that can predict "bottlenecks" with their own methodology, in the real world its far more nuanced than that. GPU-CPU usage scenarios you're encountering isn't going to be consistent and things can go from CPU bound (where the CPU is more loaded down, usually in moments where there are a lot of logic running like NPC and physics) to GPU bound (where the GPU is more loaded down, usually in moments where there are a lot of visual effects going on) in a whim especially in games. You can only observe massive bottlenecks while on these more in-parity scenarios like between 5600X and 4070, you'll have a hard time telling that it doesn't matter.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

30 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Nope. While there are sites that can predict "bottlenecks" with their own methodology, in the real world its far more nuanced than that. GPU-CPU usage scenarios you're encountering isn't going to be consistent and things can go from CPU bound (where the CPU is more loaded down, usually in moments where there are a lot of logic running like NPC and physics) to GPU bound (where the GPU is more loaded down, usually in moments where there are a lot of visual effects going on) in a whim especially in games. You can only observe massive bottlenecks while on these more in-parity scenarios like between 5600X and 4070, you'll have a hard time telling that it doesn't matter.

Oh I see thank you 

2 hours ago, Purplescotti said:

you can try running statistics while gaming, like with MSI afterburner.

If your CPU runs around 100% and your GPU is sitting at 50% all the time, you are CPU limited and are not using the GPU to the full.

Remember, there is ALWAYS a limiting factor, so don't panic over the term Bottleneck. Just dont pair an old i5 4690 with an RTX 4090, for what I assume are obvious reasons 🙂

Also different games have different loads, so there is no single answer.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

11 hours ago, DeerDK said:

you can try running statistics while gaming, like with MSI afterburner.

If your CPU runs around 100% and your GPU is sitting at 50% all the time, you are CPU limited and are not using the GPU to the full.

Remember, there is ALWAYS a limiting factor, so don't panic over the term Bottleneck. Just dont pair an old i5 4690 with an RTX 4090, for what I assume are obvious reasons 🙂

Also different games have different loads, so there is no single answer.

Oh ok. So would you say that upgrading to a Rtx 4070 with a Ryzen 5 5600x be ok or should I wait to uptake it all cpu and gpu together 

59 minutes ago, Purplescotti said:

Oh ok. So would you say that upgrading to a Rtx 4070 with a Ryzen 5 5600x be ok or should I wait to uptake it all cpu and gpu together 

I'd personally say go for it. 

I have a 5600x myself and I'm drooling over the 4070 as well. Maybe there may be a bit of a bottleneck, but I seriously doubt it will be a real issue. And if it is, well, you know to put a 5800x3d on your wishlist next. 

The 5600x is no slouch 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

5 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

I'd personally say go for it. 

I have a 5600x myself and I'm drooling over the 4070 as well. Maybe there may be a bit of a bottleneck, but I seriously doubt it will be a real issue. And if it is, well, you know to put a 5800x3d on your wishlist next. 

The 5600x is no slouch 

Bet thanks