Gigabit switch and Gigabit AP but only running at 100Mbps?

Theguywhobea
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,

To wrap this thread up, I re-terminated each end, and that has fixed the issue. Makes sense now after looking at how the old plugs were on, they had the wires in the wrong order.聽

So, I recently bought a house which happens to already have CAT5E run to most rooms. Working on getting my network setup but I have ran into a small issue. I have a router in the basement where my Verizon ONT is, then from one of the ethernet ports on the router I have a CAT6 cable running up through the floor to a small under stairs closet. In that closet I then have a gigabit POE switch (TP-Link TL-SG1005P V2) that the CAT6 is connected to. Then from one of the ports on that switch it goes through the already installed CAT5E in the house to my living room, where it is connected to my access point (TP-Link EAP235-Wall). All of these devices support gigabit, however the access point says it's only connected at 100Mbps FD and the light on my switch is yellow meaning it is only at 100Mbps.

What is the deal with this? The wire run through the house appears to be intact, with all the conductors connected at each end? Is this a A vs B wiring issue?

I tested with a short wire between the switch and the AP and I DID get a full gigbit connection, so it's a wiring issue? Maybe wiring length?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

So, I recently bought a house which happens to already have CAT5E run to most rooms. Working on getting my network setup but I have ran into a small issue. I have a router in the basement where my Verizon ONT is, then from one of the ethernet ports on the router I have a CAT6 cable running up through the floor to a small under stairs closet. In that closet I then have a gigabit POE switch (TP-Link TL-SG1005P V2) that the CAT6 is connected to. Then from one of the ports on that switch it goes through the already installed CAT5E in the house to my living room, where it is connected to my access point (TP-Link EAP235-Wall). All of these devices support gigabit, however the access point says it's only connected at 100Mbps FD and the light on my switch is yellow meaning it is only at 100Mbps.

What is the deal with this? The wire run through the house appears to be intact, with all the conductors connected at each end? Is this a A vs B wiring issue?

I tested with a short wire between the switch and the AP and I DID get a full gigbit connection, so it's a wiring issue? Maybe wiring length?

It could be a bad cable, either in pinout misconfigured, or a break in one of the wires. The only way to know which is to use a cable tester. (or just scrap it and pull a new line)

4 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It could be a bad cable, either in pinout misconfigured, or a break in one of the wires. The only way to know which is to use a cable tester. (or just scrap it and pull a new line)

I do have a tester (Klein Tools VDV500-705). I tried it just now and it ran through all the wires with it connected at both end and I got a green light on each, which I think means it is good, right?

52 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I do have a tester (Klein Tools VDV500-705). I tried it just now and it ran through all the wires with it connected at both end and I got a green light on each, which I think means it is good, right?

Is it a smart probe? Will it actually map the wires and let you know if the installer crimped the ends in the correct order?

If it was me, and there was enough slack in the cable, I'd just recrimp myself.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Is it a smart probe? Will it actually map the wires and let you know if the installer crimped the ends in the correct order?

If it was me, and there was enough slack in the cable, I'd just recrimp myself.

I believe it's telling me the ends are all there, but I will re-crimp it tomorrow. I have already crimped other cables around the house that had no ends on them and are using the same CAT5E and I am getting full gigabit on those connections, so my guess is the ends here are bad.聽聽

To wrap this thread up, I re-terminated each end, and that has fixed the issue. Makes sense now after looking at how the old plugs were on, they had the wires in the wrong order.聽