Alternatives to Nvida for Content creation

Shadowlyn

I have searched for reviews on using AMD for Video Editing software.  There is a huge void when it comes to this.  I am currently using a 5800X with a 2070 super to record and edit on the same PC using OBS for recording and Vega Pro 18 for Video editing.  I bought the 2070 super used during the pandemic and had to pay a premium for do to availability of card at the time.  I did upgrade to 2080/TI just before the bitcoin crash but that card has since died and I am back to the 2070 Super.  I am not impressed with Nvidias offering and I cannot spend the 4090 money on a card.  I also can not afford to go out and buy a 6950 or 7900 AMD card to test it.  The only thing holding me back on the AMD cards is from what I have heard and can not find anything to refute it is AMD cards just do not perform well with editing software.  I saw one video where someone switched to using only AMD 7900 to edit and they had to stop after a week.  Is there anyone that can validate that AMD cards and software work well from experience and what editor they are using?  If any additional info is needed let me know.

I mean there's nothing that says you HAVE to buy a 4090 unless you're looking for the absolute best in performance.
4090 is a meme (and again unless you're looking for the absolute pinnacle of performance) completely unnecessary.

Especially if budget is of concern, a used 3000 series card may be a good idea if you find out AMD isn't any good for what you wanna do (which I can't speak to at all).

Again, I can't at all speak to what AMD cards are like for a video-editing workload. But I can say that a used 3000 series card or non-4090 4000 series card would likely serve you well if you decide to go the nvidia route (and without bankrupting you).

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

according to your research, you should not consider AMD in this case. 

If you do not game, you can ignore that 8gb vram is not enough for future aaa titles, your current card is 8gb, (and i don't like you saying 2080/ti, as they have a 3gb vram buffer/performance difference and now im confused).

anyways, if you're happy with your current workflow, you can simply buy any 8+gb nvidia options,  3060ti or better. you can use techpowerup's relative performance chart, although because your workload is not gaming, it is best to look for reviews with video editing/rendering time in them. example relative (to 2080ti) chart

If vegas plans to support AV1, that could be a space saver on your disk if thats any concern, and that would limit you to 4060+

most likely, this is another deja vu, and you may opt to purchase the highest-end reasonable-priced nvidia option, which at the moment is 4070/ti.

26 minutes ago, cautiouslyoptimistic said:

according to your research, you should not consider AMD in this case. 

If you do not game, you can ignore that 8gb vram is not enough for future aaa titles, your current card is 8gb, (and i don't like you saying 2080/ti, as they have a 3gb vram buffer/performance difference and now im confused).

anyways, if you're happy with your current workflow, you can simply buy any 8+gb nvidia options,  3060ti or better. you can use techpowerup's relative performance chart, although because your workload is not gaming, it is best to look for reviews with video editing/rendering time in them. example relative (to 2080ti) chart

If vegas plans to support AV1, that could be a space saver on your disk if thats any concern, and that would limit you to 4060+

most likely, this is another deja vu, and you may opt to purchase the highest-end reasonable-priced nvidia option, which at the moment is 4070/ti.

For clarification I am recording video game footage with OBS and playing on the same PC with no capture card. The 2070 Super is working for the most part but recording and playing Hogwarts new game was not possible.  It plays fine but cannot handle recording it simultaneously.  I bought the 2080 TI and I did see a improvement but it died after about 6 months and is not repairable.  The only current options to me are the 4070 series or a AMD 6950 or 7900 XTX which both have more VRAM. 

thx for clarification.

see: https://youtu.be/Rh7kFgHe21k?t=480

i would proceed to compare the price performance of my local pricing 3080+ and 4070+ using the relative performance chart.

12gb 3060 is a bit slower than 2070 super but larger vram size.

if the 2080ti was bought new you can probably rma it. if your 2080ti died due to thermal constraints i would not get a 6950, as that is another flagship gpu with high themal output, unless you are think thermals wasn't the issue.

i would also search for complaints of amd regarding softwares i use, such as vegas, in forums or otherwise. you might find people saying it works fine, or people saying its public knowledge that amd gpu doesn't work as well. 

The amd options are priced more reasonably, but no sane person would switch GPUs per workload, unless they run test bench systems where swapping takes no effort.

I thought 7900 series is good for video editing as shown in PugetSystem review? No Vegas Pro though. 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-24gb-content-creation-review/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Shadowlyn said:

For clarification I am recording video game footage with OBS and playing on the same PC with no capture card. The 2070 Super is working for the most part but recording and playing Hogwarts new game was not possible.  It plays fine but cannot handle recording it simultaneously.  I bought the 2080 TI and I did see a improvement but it died after about 6 months and is not repairable.  The only current options to me are the 4070 series or a AMD 6950 or 7900 XTX which both have more VRAM. 

Why not a used 3090?   With those above cards - I would say a 4070 or 4070 Ti -or the 7900 XTX.   The 6000 series are lousy cards for content creation / video editing.

Look at Puget Systems website for Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro benchmarks - the 7900 XTX performs okay.   

Sorry, guys - for the edit....but, just realized (recognized) that the OP's main program is Vegas Pro.   From what I can tell, there's no 'gap' or performance edge to Nvidia (or AMD) - or that is what it looks like when ppl enter their info and test their hardware.

What am I talking about?:   this page/site:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/amd-vs-nvidia-gpu-performance-in-vegas-pro--138385/

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Exbi4K3hbxw6snJuisR1ble-0tCPVNcIcNnx0BAtSIM/viewform?edit_requested=true

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b3ggVifKsuT-cp2kQHjum_KnQ4-2jBmUIvzmu7BQZ34/edit#gid=699797034

Sorry, I was not familiar with this software - Vegas Pro - although I have a friend who uses it - but, they have Nvidia cards.  

13 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Why not a used 3090? 

It could be an option but at this point most likely and used 3090 would most likely be from a crypto machine.  I had to overpay for the 2070 because I needed a card and it was the best I could get. At the time I wanted a 2080ti.  I bought the 2080 after prices came down and paid 300 less for the 2080.  I wanted to possibly get a new card.  Also it comes down to affordability vs performance.

5 minutes ago, Shadowlyn said:

It could be an option but at this point most likely and used 3090 would most likely be from a crypto machine.  I had to overpay for the 2070 because I needed a card and it was the best I could get. At the time I wanted a 2080ti.  I bought the 2080 after prices came down and paid 300 less for the 2080.  I wanted to possibly get a new card.  Also it comes down to affordability vs performance.

Oh okay - I dunno what prices are for you - but, I bought a used 3080 - and I can't see any evidence of mining with it.   The 6900 series is available used as well but also sometimes, new - in my area - but, there might be more choices there.   It's an option if it's just Vegas Pro - but, my video editing software I use is Davinci Resolve (right now) and the 6900 XT/6950 XT is okay but not great - the 3080 is much better - and in Blender, it's pretty lousy - so I picked Nvidia when shopping (got a used card).

I updated my previous post - to talk about Vegas Pro.  

6 hours ago, Shadowlyn said:

The only current options to me are the 4070 series or a AMD 6950 or 7900 XTX which both have more VRAM. 

AV1 would be a good thing on 7900XTX, but for h.264 on the cheap you might wanna consider Intel CPU if this is a scratch build. Quick Sync Video is a lifesaver in that front.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

AV1 would be a good thing on 7900XTX, but for h.264 on the cheap you might wanna consider Intel CPU if this is a scratch build. Quick Sync Video is a lifesaver in that front.

Yep.   That's the build I got - Raptor Lake wasn't out yet so I settled on a 12700K.  

10 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

10 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

My build has a 5800X CPU.  I completed the build in the Fall of 2020.