Is the Battle.net launcher like steam's or is it more invasive and uses system reasources when it should not?

Azurael

Long story short I want to play Diablo 4, but the bastards at Blizzard thought it was better to putbit on Battle.net only. Now I know nothing about battle.net's launch it requires you to install, so it could be fine or not. I will never use Epic Games or its launcher. I have seen nothing but trouble from them. If battle.net is anything like Epic Games, I refuse to put it on my system.

No matter how good of a game Diablo 4 or anyother is, if the launcher or series software is not something I trust or can tolerate it is not worth compramizing a PC just to play the game.

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A54

Other: Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Azurael said:

If battle.net is anything like Epic Games

I dont understand what is security compromising in EGS since the update last year. But to answer your question: its usable.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Long story short I want to play Diablo 4, but the bastards at Blizzard thought it was better to putbit on Battle.net only. Now I know nothing about battle.net's launch it requires you to install, so it could be fine or not. I will never use Epic Games or its launcher. I have seen nothing but trouble from them. If battle.net is anything like Epic Games, I refuse to put it on my system.

No matter how good of a game Diablo 4 or anyother is, if the launcher or series software is not something I trust or can tolerate it is not worth compramizing a PC just to play the game.

Time to get that tinfoil hat!  Battle.net is safe and is a decent launcher.  There are only Blizzard games on the launcher.  I like it, I use it daily.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

I dont understand what is security compromising in EGS since the update last year. But to answer your question: its usable.

I have seen people say that the Epic Games Launcher would not actually stop running after they closed it. It just kept going in the background and hurt system performance. Plus with how scummy EGS has been with privacy and their coercive tactics to get played to buy crap in Fortnite I will never trust Epic Games ever.

My Main PC

Just now, Azurael said:

after they closed it

Steam does the same on that front though. But yeah, i agree that their privacy policy is a tad insulting. The tactic part i dont understand at all besides front page recommendation which... is fair? I mean its their own damn game, theyre incentivized to do that. 20% vs 100% of your cash.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, Azurael said:

I have seen people say that the Epic Games Launcher would not actually stop running after they closed it. It just kept going in the background and hurt system performance. Plus with how scummy EGS has been with privacy and their coercive tactics to get played to buy crap in Fortnite I will never trust Epic Games ever.

Well.. Time to stop using a lot of things then!  To name one: Amazon.. 100x more scummy than EGS.

13 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Epic launcher is godawful. No reason it should use as much RAM/CPU/GPU as it does, and yes it minimizes to tray on close. Steam does that too. But when minimized to tray it sure does use a lot more RAM still than Steam. 

Loved Epic in the days of the Unreal Tournaments, that all was ended with Fortnite - and now the newest Unreal Tournament was rather recently delisted from Epic launcher with no warning. So yeah pretty scummy

11 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Steam does the same on that front though. But yeah, i agree that their privacy policy is a tad insulting. The tactic part i dont understand at all besides front page recommendation which... is fair? I mean its their own damn game, theyre incentivized to do that. 20% vs 100% of your cash.

Steam will do that, but I can get Steam to fully close down when I am not using it.

My Main PC

1 minute ago, Azurael said:

Steam will do that, but I can get Steam to fully close down when I am not using it.

To be fair you can do that with Epic too, but Epic launcher takes a suspicious amount of time to load versus Steam's quick startup. 

7 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Well.. Time to stop using a lot of things then!  To name one: Amazon.. 100x more scummy than EGS.

Is Amazon installed directly on my PC and allowed to collect information from it and modify it. No it is not sure Amazon is not the greatest on privacy either, but I only supply them with the bar minimum info I need to make purchases and only use it as an online store front.  Also it is not something I am giving direct access to my PC and personal files and data on it. So, take your arrogant, cynical, BS mockery and shove off.

My Main PC

3 minutes ago, da na said:

To be fair you can do that with Epic too, but Epic launcher takes a suspicious amount of time to load versus Steam's quick startup. 

I avoid Epic where I can because I don't like how it asks for my username, password, and 2FA code even though I tell it to remember every single time I'm forced to log in again after I quit their launcher from running.

Yeah, it does take a much longer time to load, even from an SSD.

OP: Blizzard ain't great but it's certainly better than Epic. I've used it in the past for Destiny 2, Overwatch, and Call of Duty games. It's a decent launcher and not super heavy on system resources, but it is still Blizzard at the end of the day.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Is Amazon installed directly on my PC and allowed to collect information from it and modify it

Amazon collects literal 100s of times more information about you than Epic Games. Half the websites you use are hosted on Amazon AWS. Including Epic Online Services. 

11 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Is Amazon installed directly on my PC and allowed to collect information from it and modify it. No it is not sure Amazon is not the greatest on privacy either, but I only supply them with the bar minimum info I need to make purchases and only use it as an online store front.  Also it is not something I am giving direct access to my PC and personal files and data on it. So, take your arrogant, cynical, BS mockery and shove off.

I am not mocking you. I am literally stating facts.  You seem quite narrow minded.  Sorry if I upset you, you seem a bit angry.

5 minutes ago, da na said:

Amazon collects literal 100s of times more information about you than Epic Games. Half the websites you use are hosted on Amazon AWS. Including Epic Online Services. 

Yes Amazon collects a lot of data about people that use its services, but I don't give out a lot of info online and all my search data that it can collect is search data. It is not as personal as what I have stored on my PCs. It is also not on my PC being able to modify it. So the fact still stands for all the information Amazon can collect it is not the same as being in my system looking at my personal information I will never share online. 

My Main PC

3 hours ago, Azurael said:

Yes Amazon collects a lot of data about people that use its services, but I don't give out a lot of info online and all my search data that it can collect is search data. It is not as personal as what I have stored on my PCs. It is also not on my PC being able to modify it. So the fact still stands for all the information Amazon can collect it is not the same as being in my system looking at my personal information I will never share online. 

ammazon colets all data. your name, adress, paypal, what you shop, if you got pc parts, it no what your pc is.  then theres the muisc and movies and that data. it has your email. your phone number. and for thows that got there devices in the home also no alot more... but so dose everyone els on the net. they all have all your info too... posably even more like your face friends and family. your phone also colets all the same data too. 

so your fuXed. is my point.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

For every launcher that isn't steam, I remove it from startup & when I am finished playing, I make sure to quit the launcher completely. 

I find this helps with any launchers that use excessive resources. 

13 hours ago, fpo said:

For every launcher that isn't steam, I remove it from startup & when I am finished playing, I make sure to quit the launcher completely. 

I find this helps with any launchers that use excessive resources. 

If the laucher lets you. There were not many, but I did hear about some people whou were not able to stop Epic's launcher from running in the background even after full closing the software like you would a normal program.

My Main PC

4 hours ago, Azurael said:

If the laucher lets you. There were not many, but I did hear about some people whou were not able to stop Epic's launcher from running in the background even after full closing the software like you would a normal program.

You have to "exit" from the system tray. 

Battle.net launcher seems fine. OP you should relax, dawg. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

8 hours ago, Azurael said:

There were not many, but I did hear about some people whou were not able to stop Epic's launcher from running in the background even after full closing the software like you would a normal program.

If you can't find the "minimize to tray" setting and disable it, if you can't right click the system tray icon to exit the program, if you can't close an app through task manager, I will not take any of your notions seriously. Sorry, but this reeks of dumbass gamers who know next to nothing about how to actually operate a computer beyond opening their favorite braindead skinner box. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

15 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

If you can't find the "minimize to tray" setting and disable it, if you can't right click the system tray icon to exit the program, if you can't close an app through task manager, I will not take any of your notions seriously. Sorry, but this reeks of dumbass gamers who know next to nothing about how to actually operate a computer beyond opening their favorite braindead skinner box. 

Oh? I can do all of those. 

What I am say is what others have stated to me or I have read. Just an FYI have found programs that refuse to stop running even when using taskmanager to kill the process or service. Some I had to use for school and remote desktop access to the school and others were part of specific MMO launchers or anti-cheats for them. Only had one of the MMOs on an old laptop of mine, the rest were on friends' systems.

So you can't tell me that it is not impossable to fully kill programs that are programed to act like malware.

My Main PC

32 minutes ago, Azurael said:

Just an FYI have found programs that refuse to stop running even when using taskmanager to kill the process or service. Some I had to use for school and remote desktop access to the school and others were part of specific MMO launchers or anti-cheats for them. Only had one of the MMOs on an olf laptop of mine, the rest were on friends' systems.

So you can't tell me that it is impossable to fully kill programs that are programed to act like malware.

Which is why I haven't told you that. Don't pretend the Epic Launcher behaves like malware, that's just a complete non sequitur. My problem lies with this:

32 minutes ago, Azurael said:

What I am say is what others have stated to me orbI have read.

I mistrust people who make claims about their personal experiences and treat their conclusions as undeniable fact when the reasonable explanation is that they either missed something on accident or on purpose.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

3 hours ago, Azurael said:

Oh? I can do all of those. 

What I am say is what others have stated to me orbI have read. Just an FYI have found programs that refuse to stop running even when using taskmanager to kill the process or service. Some I had to use for school and remote desktop access to the school and others were part of specific MMO launchers or anti-cheats for them. Only had one of the MMOs on an olf laptop of mine, the rest were on friends' systems.

So you can't tell me that it is impossable to fully kill programs that are programed to act like malware.

Did you really just say "trust me bro my buddy told me"? lol

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit