EVGA PSU vs Corsair PSU

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 vs. CORSAIR AX series AX760

I'm torn. I've had my eyes on the Corsair, but after a $20 difference its hard to justify. Both have amazing warranties and technology.

EVGA: 850W, Full Modular, Gold Certified

Corsair: 760W, Full Modular, Platinum Certfied

I'm planning to have these in a gaming machine, but they'll only be powering 1 GPU (GTX 780 or 880) and maybe some minor OC. Is it worth it to save $20 for this amazing package?

way over powered u only need like 650w max.

Edit: if u are going to buy one of those u should get the corsair as it uses a seasonic board.

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 vs. CORSAIR AX series AX760

I'm torn. I've had my eyes on the Corsair, but after a $20 difference its hard to justify. Both have amazing warranties and technology.

EVGA: 850W, Full Modular, Gold Certified

Corsair: 760W, Full Modular, Platinum Certfied

I'm planning to have these in a gaming machine, but they'll only be powering 1 GPU (GTX 780 or 880) and maybe some minor OC. Is it worth it to save $20 for this amazing package?

the 760w will be more then enough for a single 780 even with oc's. i run a corsair rm850 run my cpu at 4.6ghz and TWO 780's at 1.358mhz core with a +450mhz offset on the memory.

The reason Corsair's is $20 more is because it's Platinum rated, and unless you're using anything close to 760 or 850 watts (which you won't with one video card) it won't be useful.

The Platinum rating isn't worth the energy savings over Gold imo, but that's subjective.

EVGA also offers a 10 year warranty, while Corsair's is 7 years. I own an EVGA SuperNova 750G myself for the warranty, 80+ Gold rating and I have two video cards, so I would recommend EVGA's PSU over Corsair's.

Again, that's just subjective. Either way you're getting a beast PSU with good energy efficiency.  

Neither. Both are overkill. 

A decent 550w should already be more than enough. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

both evga and corsair are using internals of top notch oems.(superflower and seasonic) u cant go wrong with either one, but in this case, corsair ax is the better bang for bucks

Neither. Both are overkill. 

A decent 550w should already be more than enough. 

Yeah.. But why limit yourself?.. What if he decides to throw in a second GPU in a year or two? That just throws a wrench in your build. No, this isn't a bottleneck in any way shape or form, but it's just stubbing your own toe for what, $30 or something? That's hardly worth the trouble and hassle in the future.

I say go with AX760. It's built on a SeaSonic board, and if you didn't know... SeaSonic makes the majority of PSUs you see in like ~10 different companies' PSU offerings. With that kind of experience & reputation, I say Corsair is a damn solid choice.

However, EVGA SuperNova's are also great PSUs. I've had experience with both (just not this particular 850W). It seems to me there's a noticeable difference in noise levels between the two, the AX760 being a bit more quiet.

Also, I'm pretty sure the AX760 runs slightly cooler than the SuperNova, if I remember correctly. Not to mention, being 80+ Platinum, you will get better efficiency out of it (though just barely).

Both are solid choices that you really can't go wrong with; but if you're that tight on a budget, the $20 should sway you one way or another. The differences are extremely tight between the two.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Considering how you could get the 750w variant of the G2 for even cheaper ($109 USD or $99.99 USD after MIR at NCIXUS.com), the EVGA would be a far better deal.

Do you have any plans to SLI in the future, btw? Because you certainly don't need to invest in a 650w+ PSU for a mildly overclocked system.

Yeah.. But why limit yourself?.. What if he decides to throw in a second GPU in a year or two? That just throws a wrench in your build. No, this isn't a bottleneck in any way shape or form, but it's just stubbing your own toe for what, $30 or something? That's hardly worth the trouble and hassle in the future.

Most people who plan to sli don't. 

If the OP isn't invested in the idea of sli, the chance of changing his mind later down the road is slim.

Why pay more when you don't need to?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Remember that PSU's CAN be most efficient @ 50% load. So going higher than required isn't always a bad thing. Also going higher than required CAN keep the PSU in passive (silent) cooling mode more often... just something else worth thinking about. You're not being crazy going for 1500w for eg. I dont see anything wrong with a 850/760w PSU if that's what you want. I had an 850w powering my 3770k and a GTX670... you can save some money by getting a smaller PSU but if they are the ones you want then go for it.

I would go the Corsair as its been mentioned above, the Seasonic board inside.

Depending on the load, efficiency can be worse or better. It all depends on the usage of the computer. Regardless, efficiency after 20% load are usually not worth mentioning, as it likely only going to be a ~1% difference either way. As for silence, that really depends on the unit and how the fan profile is set up. Plus, since a larger unit will usually need a more powerful fan to effectively cool itself, the revved up speed of the fan may be faster (louder). Anyways, the EVGA 750w G2 is on average has a similar noise profile as the Seasonic X 750w. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/10.html

As stated numerous of times, the Corsair AX760 is a Seasonic unit that is based on the updated KM3 platform - XP2, which is indeed a solid unit. So is the EVGA Supernova G2. It's a Super Flower Leadex design - a design that is among one of the best in the consumer market that offer excellent value/performance ratio. You shouldn't dismissed an option just because the other is a "Seasonic". That's like me telling you should spend $200+ USD for the Antec HCP 850w Platinum instead because it's a Delta Electronic build PSU.

But as noted, you don't need such a large PSU if you aren't going to SLI.

Most people who plan to sli don't. 

If the OP isn't invested in the idea of sli, the chance of changing his mind later down the road is slim.

Why pay more when you don't need to?

Yeah, that's what I was getting to. It's rather paradoxical. Rather, it totally depends on future plans, specifically if he wants to SLI.

"SLI or Not to SLI, That is the question." -MrYuriy  :rolleyes:

I guess the OP's answer to this question would yield the right answer for him. But, either way, as almost everyone stated, you don't need that many watts. Unless you SLI. So decide if throwing in a 2nd GPU is a future option or not.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I recently bought EVGA's SuperNova PSU and thought I had it dead on arrival... Needless to say I emailed EVGA Tech Support the same night, actually just few minutes past midnight... And this is why I'm glad I went with EVGA - they emailed me back within 5 minutes or so. I mean wow... 24/7 support indeed! Don't know about Corsair but as you can tell EVGA impressed me a lot.

Oh, and the PSU was 100% fine btw. I was just confused because I plugged in the power and saw no fan "twitch" and haven't heard any "humming" sound, so I thought it was dead. They told me to plug in the 24-pin to mobo. To my complete amazement it worked like a charm. I'm such a noob, lol.

I recently bought EVGA's SuperNova PSU and thought I had it dead on arrival... Needless to say I emailed EVGA Tech Support the same night, actually just few minutes past midnight... And this is why I'm glad I went with EVGA - they emailed me back within 5 minutes or so. I mean wow... 24/7 support indeed! Don't know about Corsair but as you can tell EVGA impressed me a lot.

Oh, and the PSU was 100% fine btw. I was just confused because I plugged in the power and saw no fan "twitch" and haven't heard any "humming" sound, so I thought it was dead. They told me to plug in the 24-pin to mobo. To my complete amazement it worked like a charm. I'm such a noob, lol.

Well my first P2 had a defective eco sensor, after you putted some load to it that made the fan kick in and once the fan turned off it started to make a very quiet beeping noise every few secs. I've recorded it etc and explained them this issue and they offered me an advanced rma without even needing to call them and they just charged me 1eur which they even paid me back. Theyve even arranged a pick up for the defective one, hassle free rma.

With Corsair.. O god they require you to call them and put a hold on your credit card but if it's a debit card you need to have the money on it to proceed the advanced rma.

So no Corsair support isnt any special, just as it should be and its nowhere as good as EVGA's support.

I trust the Corsair more as it uses a Seasonic board. Also, here's a science lesson. Energy can never be created or destroyed. It just changes form. 80 Plus ratings mean how efficient your PSU is at converting it. The higher rating the less lost. Everyone is saying that it is just a little difference on your bill. It is not only that, but also that if the AX760 is rated for 760 watts and is platinum, you will receive 90% of that 760 at full load. Look at this chart. http://info.nsiserv.com/Portals/14250/images/PSU%2090%20PLUS.png it shows that a platinum power supply will transfer about 90% of the rated 760 to useable energy. The other 10% is lost the heat and sound energy. Why do you think that it is called 80 Plus. An 80 Plus rating simply means that your PSU is over 80% efficient at transferring the energy. The EVGA PSU, although 90 watts more, is only rated 80 Plus gold. This means that it is only about 87% efficient at full load. So basically the EVGA is slightly higher in total power. At full load the Corsair PSU will give you 684 watts, while the EVGA PSU will give you 739. If you want the extra 60 watts, but not as high quality components, take the EVGA PSU. If you want higher quality, go with the Corsair PSU. Hope this helped. 

Red Dragon: CPU: i5-4670k @4.1GHz RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 4GB PSU: Corsair RM750 COOLING: Corsair H100i MAIN MONITOR: Asus VG248QE

Other Devices: PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge LAPTOP: Gigabyte P55W-BW1 DAC/AMP: Audioengine D1 DAC HEADPHONES: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm Mic: Blue Snowball

I trust the Corsair more as it uses a Seasonic board. Also, here's a science lesson. Energy can never be created or destroyed. It just changes form. 80 Plus ratings mean how efficient your PSU is at converting it. The higher rating the less lost. Everyone is saying that it is just a little difference on your bill. It is not only that, but also that if the AX760 is rated for 760 watts and is platinum, you will receive 90% of that 760 at full load. Look at this chart. http://info.nsiserv.com/Portals/14250/images/PSU%2090%20PLUS.png it shows that a platinum power supply will transfer about 90% of the rated 760 to useable energy. The other 10% is lost the heat and sound energy. Why do you think that it is called 80 Plus. An 80 Plus rating simply means that your PSU is over 80% efficient at transferring the energy. The EVGA PSU, although 90 watts more, is only rated 80 Plus gold. This means that it is only about 87% efficient at full load. So basically the EVGA is slightly higher in total power. At full load the Corsair PSU will give you 684 watts, while the EVGA PSU will give you 739. If you want the extra 60 watts, but not as high quality components, take the EVGA PSU. If you want higher quality, go with the Corsair PSU. Hope this helped. 

Any competent power supply is rated for DC output not AC input. The AX rated for 760w continuous at 80+ Platinum efficiency, in which at full load, it would be at least 89% efficient on a 115v line. This mean AX is capable of outputting 760w DC continuously for your component while drawing up to ~850wAC from the wall (~90w of that is wasted as heat). The EVGA on the other hand would supply 850w DC (the one that the OP shown), while draw ~980w AC from the wall (130w of that wasted as heat).

Any competent power supply is rated for DC output not AC input. The AX rated for 760w continuous at 80+ Platinum efficiency, in which at full load, it would be at least 89% efficient on a 115v line. This mean AX is capable of outputting 760w DC continuously for your component while drawing up to ~850wAC from the wall (~90w of that is wasted as heat). The EVGA on the other hand would supply 850w DC (the one that the OP shown), while draw ~980w AC from the wall (130w of that wasted as heat).

True, but still you get the point. Corsair uses the SeaSonic while EVGA uses the Super Flower. All it comes down to is brand trust, and slightly more power.

Red Dragon: CPU: i5-4670k @4.1GHz RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 4GB PSU: Corsair RM750 COOLING: Corsair H100i MAIN MONITOR: Asus VG248QE

Other Devices: PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge LAPTOP: Gigabyte P55W-BW1 DAC/AMP: Audioengine D1 DAC HEADPHONES: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm Mic: Blue Snowball