RTX2060 underperforming

TheRealDealT
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

This is not normal:

image.png.423fea72c2660b5ff26b835fff65f8bb.png

Your temperature should not instantly spike to the max temp allowed and then stay there the whole time. It should be a curve, like this instead:

image.png.77495fcb956a4ea876d398e2420c0e36.png

To me, this implies that something is wrong with the mounting pressure of the cooler. It's not making good contact with the GPU die, so the heat gets trapped in the die.

Is your card still under warranty by any chance? If not, would you be comfortable repasting it?

Ok, here is what you need to do for the repaste:

1. scrub off all the old crap. Use isopropyl alcohol and maybe even a mild scouring pad like brillo. Get it all off. Usually paper towel works well enough. Make sure you do both the die and the cooler.

2. put on a latex glove or wrap some Saran Wrap on your finger. Put a small rice grain worth of non conductive thermal paste on the gpu die. Use your wrapped finger to massage the stuff in so it is even and covers the whole surface.

3. Put a very small amount of paste in the heat sink contact side and massage it in. 

4. reattach. Try to line it up good. Do some light twisting and back and forth as the two surfaces come together. 

Now you should have the minimal amount of paste necessary between your cooler and die, but not too little where you have air gaps. 

12 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Ok, here is what you need to do for the repaste:

1. scrub off all the old crap. Use isopropyl alcohol and maybe even a mild scouring pad like brillo. Get it all off. 

2. put on a latex glove or wrap some Saran Wrap on your finger. Put a small rice grain worth of non conductive thermal paste on the gpu die. Use your wrapped finger to massage the stuff in so it is even and covers the whole surface.

3. Put a very small amount of paste in the heat sink contact side and massage it in. 

4. reattach. Try to line it up good. Do some light twisting and back and forth as the two surfaces come together. 

yeah thanks will do, right now i just placed a ridiculous amount just to test it, and yeah the hot spot temps still reach 100c but only after some hours of use, my performance doubled, i hope doing a nice repaste job will fix it completly, im kinda afraid that maybe that hotspot is just hot and overtiem it will degrade the TP and will go back up att 108c and over we'll see.

Thanks again!!!

P.S. will liquid methal as TP be better??

Liquid Metal is better at conducting heat but it can be risky to apply. One drop in the wrong place and your card is dead. Also, if you have a bit too much and some squeezes out on a component…dead gpu. Further, if your heat sink is aluminum, it will be eaten by the Liquid Metal (Liquid Metal is only safe on copper or nickel plate). 

just use a high quality paste that is not conductive. 

1 minute ago, Whatisthis said:

Liquid Metal is better at conducting heat but it can be risky to apply. One drop in the wrong place and your card is dead. Also, if you have a bit too much and some squeezes out on a component…dead gpu. Further, if your heat sink is aluminum, it will heat eaten by the Liquid Metal (the not safe on copper or nickel plate). 

Perfect! Thanks will do 

4 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Liquid Metal is better at conducting heat but it can be risky to apply. One drop in the wrong place and your card is dead. Also, if you have a bit too much and some squeezes out on a component…dead gpu. Further, if your heat sink is aluminum, it will be eaten by the Liquid Metal (Liquid Metal is only safe on copper or nickel plate). 

Ok repasted again, i think i made a decent job at it, cut down another 3c from the hotspot and another 2-3c overall, still hot as fuck, i guess its the single fan, might go for a watercoling if i find it for this gpu....and yeah we started today at 999 then 2217 and now at 2444 on heaven benchmark, so performance wise still not as other rtx2060 even with less powerfull cpus and ram, but hey, thats almost an 150% on performance....thanks a lot guys, not only you helped me, you made me a smarter man