RTX2060 underperforming

TheRealDealT
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

This is not normal:

image.png.423fea72c2660b5ff26b835fff65f8bb.png

Your temperature should not instantly spike to the max temp allowed and then stay there the whole time. It should be a curve, like this instead:

image.png.77495fcb956a4ea876d398e2420c0e36.png

To me, this implies that something is wrong with the mounting pressure of the cooler. It's not making good contact with the GPU die, so the heat gets trapped in the die.

Is your card still under warranty by any chance? If not, would you be comfortable repasting it?

Hi, i built this pc in 2020 and always saw that my rtx2060 was underperforming,  but, didn't really care since it worked fine at the time. Until now that is, with new game realeases my rtx just can't keep up but on yt i find pleanty of benchmarks that suggest that it still is a quite capable card, so i'm asking for help and any suggestion will be very appreciated.

SPECS/// GPU: evga rtx 2060 sc/// CPU:ryzen 5 2600/// RAM: 2x ddr4 corsair lpx 8gb 3200mhz (set at xmp 2.0 3200mhz 1.350 volts)/// PSU: 650w coler master/// MB: B450M-HDV R4.0

Notes: I just did a clean install of windows 10 and that got me a bit of an fps boost (still very low compared to other people with an rtx2060 in some games less than 50% of the performance they have with similar componets).

I will provide additional info as you request and yes...drivers are up to date.

If someone can help i really apreciate it, thanks in advance.

Gabriel.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

4 minutes ago, TheRealDealT said:

My motherboard dosn't allow dual channel ram, i know that with ryzen cpus you want dual channel, i was indeed thinking of buying another motherboard, but is that really the problem that gives me that low of performance?

Your motherboard supports dual-channel. It just only has 2 slots, so if both slots are occupied and working, you have dual-channel RAM. You just can't add any additional sticks, which only offers a marginal benefit, and only if your RAM isn't dual-rank already, but that's a whole different thing.

Point being, you have dual-channel RAM.

As for why your card is underperforming, what are your temperatures looking like on the GPU? If that is the single-fan model, then I'd imagine it runs pretty hot. The card will begin to clock down to keep itself under its 83C limit, which could explain the low performance. This problem will be worse if your case has poor airflow.

ryzen 2000 series is slow as, make sure you are comparing the card with a system that has the exact same cpu. 

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Your motherboard supports dual-channel. It just only has 2 slots, so if both slots are occupied and working, you have dual-channel RAM. You just can't add any additional sticks, which only offers a marginal benefit, and only if your RAM isn't dual-rank already, but that's a whole different thing.

Point being, you have dual-channel RAM.

As for why your card is underperforming, what are your temperatures looking like on the GPU? If that is the single-fan model, then I'd imagine it runs pretty hot. The card will begin to clock down to keep itself under its 83C limit, which could explain the low performance. This problem will be worse if your case has poor airflow.

Thanks for explaying taht my MB supports Dual Channel will update the post to correct it, it runs hot but never above 75-77c, as for my testing goes the CPU donst seem a bottleneck

2 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

ryzen 2000 series is slow as, make sure you are comparing the card with a system that has the exact same cpu. 

Yes but it won't cost you 50% performance

2 minutes ago, TheRealDealT said:

Thanks for explaying taht my MB supports Dual Channel will update the post to correct it, it runs hot but never above 75-77c, as for my testing goes the CPU donst seem a bottleneck

What about the CPU Temps? And generally the clock speeds of CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM during gaming? Are they all where they should be? 

Edit: also are your GPU drivers up to date? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, OhYou_ said:

yeah some videos online have my exact config, still underperforming a lot. Idk if its my MB since its quite a cheap one, maybe it dosnt tranfer enough voltage, but i wouldnt know abot that

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Yes but it won't cost you 50% performance

What about the CPU Temps? And generally the clock speeds of CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM during gaming? Are they all where they should be? 

Thanks for your reply, CPU temps almost never go above 60c, as far as clock speeds can you suggest a program that will monitor them and save the results while i run a benchmark so i can provide you all the correct numbers?

Thanks for your reply, CPU temps almost never go above 60c, as far as clock speeds can you suggest a program that will monitor them and save the results while i run a benchmark so i can provide you all the correct numbers?

hi, please install gpu-z

then run it.

make sure your 2060 is selected as the gpu in the lower left
switch to the sensors tab
if you have a second screen, you can move it to the second screen so you can stare at it. 

if not, there is a button in the lower left called log to file, click that and choose a save location, then make sure it remains checked. 

now run a game or a benchmark, but please be sure if you log to file that you do the benchmark immediately after and then halt the log. 
Make sure there is no personal information at the top or bottom of the log like username or pc name you do not wish to share and then go ahead and upload it here i guess. 

4 minutes ago, TheRealDealT said:

I suggest Msi Afterburner. You can turn on an OSD (on screen display) which shows you all the stats in real time. You Frist have to select what to show though. I suggestion show almost everything because then you also know by-core stats which shows potential bottlenecks. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I suggest Msi Afterburner. You can turn on an OSD (on screen display) which shows you all the stats in real time. You Frist have to select what to show though. I suggestion show almost everything because then you also know by-core stats which shows potential bottlenecks. 

Absolutly will do right now, in the mean time i run a benchmark with evga presicion on

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (4).png

5 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

hi, please install gpu-z

then run it.

make sure your 2060 is selected as the gpu in the lower left
switch to the sensors tab
if you have a second screen, you can move it to the second screen so you can stare at it. 

if not, there is a button in the lower left called log to file, click that and choose a save location, then make sure it remains checked. 

now run a game or a benchmark, but please be sure if you log to file that you do the benchmark immediately after and then halt the log. 
Make sure there is no personal information at the top or bottom of the log like username or pc name you do not wish to share and then go ahead and upload it here i guess. 

will do right now, in the mean time i run another benchmark with evga presicion on

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (4).png

the graphs clearly show the gpu is thermal throttling
it boosts to 1900mhz for about a third of a second till the gpu hits 70c and it quickly stops boost clocking and runs at stock 1365mhz. 

either raise thermal targets or improve cooling

1 minute ago, OhYou_ said:

it boosts to 1900mhz for about a third of a second till the gpu hits 70c and it quickly stops boost clocking and runs at stock 1365mhz. 

Thermal traget is set at 87c and in a sec i'll show you the the graphs with gpu-z and msi aftrebuner

Thermal traget is set at 87c

then it is being ignored, bec that thing flatlines hard at 75c

This is not normal:

Your temperature should not instantly spike to the max temp allowed and then stay there the whole time. It should be a curve, like this instead:

To me, this implies that something is wrong with the mounting pressure of the cooler. It's not making good contact with the GPU die, so the heat gets trapped in the die.

Is your card still under warranty by any chance? If not, would you be comfortable repasting it?

15 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

29 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

here you go guys hope this helps

EDIT: i jsut noticed you got to download the gpuz txt file, if you dont trust it let me know i'll screenshot it

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

8 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

then it is being ignored, bec that thing flatlines hard at 75c

What we aren't seeing is the hotspot temp, and if my hunch is right, that's where the issue lies. The hotspot has its own, separate thermal throttling point - I believe 100C on Turing cards, but don't quote me on that.

If my hunch is right, and the cooler has bad mounting pressure, it may also have a huge difference between the average and hotspot temps, so potentially, the hotspot is 25C higher, and the GPU is throttling to save itself from dying.

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

This is not normal:

sure i did repaste an gtx 1060 back in the day shouldnt be hard

here you go guys hope this helps

EDIT: i jsut noticed you got to download the gpuz txt file, if you dont trust it let me know i'll screenshot it

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 139.64 kB · 1 download

I was right. The log shows that the hotspot temp is nearly 110C. The card is throttling to save itself from death.

I would recommend not running any more stress tests and either contacting EVGA or re-pasting the card yourself.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I was right. The log shows that the hotspot temp is nearly 110C. The card is throttling to save itself from death.

I would recommend not running any more stress tests and either contacting EVGA or re-pasting the card yourself.

yeah jus tnoticed the 108c too, its out of warranty im gonna repaste it right now and let you guys know in a bit, in the mean time thanks a lot

good lord in ~2s it goes up 40c lmao please stop using the card and fix it

just repasted, i used more than what i found just to make sure since everything was fine exept the top left corner.....IT WAS CARBONIZED on the heatsink, gonna run a test now and let you guys know

42 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

ok, hot spot it still quite fucking hot, but performace wise its gotten much better i got a score of 2217....before it was 999, overall temps look to reach max, with might be my bad since i really did put a lot of TP since i was scrabbing black Thermal paste out of my heatsink, so i think repasting it again or mounting a watercooler might do it, would you advise to spread the TP out just to make sure?

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

18 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

That thermal paste probably looks like this: image.thumb.jpeg.c21b47a750618e7a781294709dcb0bc6.jpeg

it was worse