Minecraft RAM usage increases to 10+ gb when 2 gb are allocated

SpinnakerRL

Windows 10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

GPU: Radeon RX 580

RAM: 32 GB 3200 mhz

I started having this issue after a windows update last year, and I tried rolling back various updates with no luck. Minecraft starts at 1.5 gb and steadily increases to 10+ gb after 20 minutes of playing. I have FPS drops that get worse throughout a session. Min and max allocation for the game are 512 MiB and 2048 MiB respectively. This happens on all versions of mc and various versions of java. My computer in general feels sluggish, and it takes a while to open apps and websites even with fast internet. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Screenshot (196).png

2 minutes ago, SpinnakerRL said:

Windows 10

I started having this issue after a windows update last year, and I tried rolling back various updates with no luck. Minecraft starts at 1.5 gb and steadily increases to 10+ gb after 20 minutes of playing. I have FPS drops that get worse throughout a session. Min and max allocation for the game are 512 MiB and 2048 MiB respectively. This happens on all versions of mc and various versions of java. My computer in general feels sluggish, and it takes a while to open apps and websites even with fast internet. 

Screenshot (196).png

did u allocate the 2gb to mincraft of Java(TM) Platform SE binary

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

5 minutes ago, SpinnakerRL said:

Windows 10

Screenshot (196).png

Stock launcher and vanilla Minecraft or using something else? Java right from Oracle? Is the computer sluggish always or just when Minecraft is up?

I would try it with OpenJDK for java and see if it gets different results. Or even the Microsoft or Amazon java build but shouldn't have to go that far.

23 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Is your minecraft modded in any way? Because this sounds an awful lot like a memory leak.

It's modded here with optifine and other mods for speedrunning but this still happens on full vanilla

20 minutes ago, crimraven said:

Stock launcher and vanilla Minecraft or using something else? Java right from Oracle? Is the computer sluggish always or just when Minecraft is up?

I would try it with OpenJDK for java and see if it gets different results. Or even the Microsoft or Amazon java build but shouldn't have to go that far.

MultiMC launcher with mods, however this happens on MultiMC vanilla as well. Java is straight from oracle. The computer feels sluggish always but this part is possibly placebo since it's not horribly slow, not sure. I'll test other java versions and see

31 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

did u allocate the 2gb to mincraft of Java(TM) Platform SE binary

I allocated it through the MultiMC launcher settings. 

Screenshot (197).png

9 minutes ago, SpinnakerRL said:

MultiMC launcher with mods, however this happens on MultiMC vanilla as well. Java is straight from oracle. The computer feels sluggish always but this part is possibly placebo since it's not horribly slow, not sure. I'll test other java versions and see

If it's modded and vanilla then yea maybe an issue in the Java install as I'm not aware of any on the base game atm. Or at least some disagreement with Java and Windows. Or something is living in your PC piggybacking on that java use. Was going recommend fabulously optimized modpack for performance but it may conflict with stuff you have already.

Side note other Java apps can conflict with MC in Windows. I know both Steam and Photoshop have in the past so make sure nothing else is up as well.

5 minutes ago, SpinnakerRL said:

Screenshot (197).png

Unfortunately we can't see which JVM arguments these UI options actually translate to.

Can you check in Task Manager's details tab? You can see the command line arguments used to start a process there. You may need to make the column visible first.

Spoiler

image.png.f30bd5aea694f428fa9131f6b23c4c20.png

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

51 minutes ago, SpinnakerRL said:

Windows 10

Screenshot (196).png

Pov: you open chrome for 0.0001 seconds

grab OpenJDK from ninite, and try with that. then we can at least rule out issues with JDK.

9 hours ago, manikyath said:

grab OpenJDK from ninite, and try with that. then we can at least rule out issues with JDK.

I tried that as well as a few other Java versions, same issue persists. 

11 hours ago, SpinnakerRL said:

I tried that as well as a few other Java versions, same issue persists. 

That is surprising and weird.

I have a W10 partition I can check for usage later. Never noticed high ram use before though, my max is a lot so it's possible it happens and I don't notice. I can copy your mod load out and game version to if you want, though that shouldn't spill into vanilla since MultiMC makes a separate install and java itself runs in vm but hey it shouldn't be doing this either right.

If it's not the Java version or mods then it feels either Windows issue which seems isolated or something else is using Java at the same time either legit or hopefully not nefarious. Slowness on a respectable system like yours is a concern though.

57 minutes ago, crimraven said:

That is surprising and weird.

I have a W10 partition I can check for usage later. Never noticed high ram use before though, my max is a lot so it's possible it happens and I don't notice. I can copy your mod load out and game version to if you want, though that shouldn't spill into vanilla since MultiMC makes a separate install and java itself runs in vm but hey it shouldn't be doing this either right.

If it's not the Java version or mods then it feels either Windows issue which seems isolated or something else is using Java at the same time either legit or hopefully not nefarious. Slowness on a respectable system like yours is a concern though.

I've talked to many people in the minecraft speedrunning community and they've never seen such high RAM usage as mine. It's normal for usage to increase throughout a session but it shouldn't cause these kinds of fps drops and high usage so quickly. My guess is it's some Windows issue but I don't know how to troubleshoot. 

22 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Unfortunately we can't see which JVM arguments these UI options actually translate to.

Can you check in Task Manager's details tab? You can see the command line arguments used to start a process there. You may need to make the column visible first.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f30bd5aea694f428fa9131f6b23c4c20.png

Here are the arguments. It doesn't seem like this is a java allocation/version issue

Screenshot (198).png