CPU at 87° but heat pipes are cold - Noctua NH-D15

LeDoox

Hello,

I installed my Noctua NH-D15 the Tuesday 30th May on my Ryzen 7 7800X3D and i was checking all the temperatures yesterday with different stress tests that push my CPU at 100%.

When the OC of my motherboard is activated (ASUS B650 PLUS + AMD Expo), my CPU is near from 85° and when the OC is desactivated, he's like near from 65°.

The temperatures don't look bad but not perfect. So i decided to check the airflow when he's pushed at 87°. And the airflow was litteraly cold. So i touched the heat pipes and they was cold too, not even lukewarm. Is it normal ? They are supposed to dissipate the heat no ?

I thought that the thermal paste had not beind applied correctly so i re-installed it with new thermal paste, checking all is done correctly but exactly the same results. I read on forums that sometimes there's a little plastic film so i re-installed it on other time, checking there's no plastic film anywhere, put some thermal paste again correctly, reassembling the all thing carefully. And again, exactly same results.

I tried to desactivate the fan, just to check if something will be different and i have a variation of 2° :

- With fans at 100% and CPU at 100% -> 85° with OC / 63° with stock parameters
- Without fans and CPU at 100% -> 87° (And i stop the stress test to be safe) with OC / 65° with stock parameters

I have a good airflow with 1x120mm at back, 2x140 at the top, 2*140 on the front and 1*140 on the bottom. All the tests was done with the case open.

There may be a defect on the model I received?

Thank you in advance for your help and have a good day!

This says bad mount to me.  Did you remove the plastic?  That’s a classic one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

CCD is on the bottom on ryzen 7000, so you are going to have to touch the bottom heatpipes rather then the top ones. Its a known issue on Air coolers, thats why there are a few offset mounts to fix it so that the main heat pipes are on the CCD.

Other then that, generally these cpus are going to be about 120W at most, so its not going to get scorching hot super fast on the NH-D15. It can take a bit before that heat transfers, once it does though i would highly suggest NOT touching the pipes. 87c is no joke to human skin.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

CCD is on the bottom on ryzen 7000, so you are going to have to touch the bottom heatpipes rather then the top ones. Its a known issue on Air coolers, thats why there are a few offset mounts to fix it so that the main heat pipes are on the CCD.

Speak of the devil.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Thanks your responses and your reactivity!

@Bombastinator I was checking on the third mounting that there's no plastic part on each part. Nothing on CPU and nothing on the Noctua NH-D15.

@Shimeji I maybe have to test it on a long period ? The various tests lasted a maximum of 5 minutes, is this perhaps not enough?

And if it is mounted correctly maybe check the spread of the thermal paste, i know i had this issue once dropped it by about 7c But as Shimejii said its a 120w processor shouldnt get too hot to fast, so if your temps are spiking at the start maybe its a paste/mounting issue

You screwing it up is vastly more statistically likely than noctua screwing it up.  It’s not impossible of course.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I don't know if it will be useful but i took some photos for the thermal spread each time i disassembly the Noctua

IMG_20230531_203122.jpg

IMG_20230531_203129.jpg

IMG_20230531_212123.jpg

7 minutes ago, LeDoox said:

I don't know if it will be useful but i took some photos for the thermal spread each time i disassembly the Noctua

IMG_20230531_203122.jpg

IMG_20230531_203129.jpg

IMG_20230531_212123.jpg

7 minutes ago, LeDoox said:

IMG_20230531_203122.jpg

IMG_20230531_203129.jpg

IMG_20230531_212123.jpg

What’s up with the color change? You need to clean thoroughly between attempts.  If the thing doesn’t look like there was never paste on it it’s not clean enough.

also that seems to be am5.  There was an LTT video about how am5 isn’t set up like previous chips.  It could be while you have most of the paste in the right place in general it might not work in specific.

Edited by Bombastinator

@Bombastinator I cleaned with a dried towel, next time time i'll do it correctly! Thanks for that!

For the thermal paste, i put a point in the center just like this
 image.png.f71cf63c70bad48e3b073c2065267a47.png

1 hour ago, LeDoox said:

@Bombastinator I cleaned with a dried towel, next time time i'll do it correctly! Thanks for that!

For the thermal paste, i put a point in the center just like this
 image.png.f71cf63c70bad48e3b073c2065267a47.png

Maybe about 1.5 times that.  Too much isn’t great but too little is bad.  When the pea thing came out the conventional wisdom was “as little as you could get away with” which strictly speaking isn’t false, but the wages of too little are much greater than the wages of too much.  It never drops below “meh” no matter how much paste you use so all that is wasted is paste.

40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Maybe about 1.5 times that.  Too much isn’t great but too little is bad.  When the pea thing came out the conventional wisdom was “as little as you could get away with” which strictly speaking isn’t false, but the wages of too little are much greater than the wages of too much.  It never drops below “meh” no matter how much paste you use so all that is wasted is paste.

I put more paste than what we can see on this picture.
I will try later in the day to install my Be Quiet! to see if the problem come from the CPU himself.

I'm very confused about this issue, it's not the first time i install a CPU Cooler and i can't see a missed step in the installation

50 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Maybe about 1.5 times that.  Too much isn’t great but too little is bad. 

Too much doesn't matter in terms of performance. Worst case it's a bit messy. Too little however will lead to problems. When in doubt it's better to apply too much.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, LeDoox said:

Hello,

I installed my Noctua NH-D15 the Tuesday 30th May on my Ryzen 7 7800X3D and i was checking all the temperatures yesterday with different stress tests that push my CPU at 100%.

When the OC of my motherboard is activated (ASUS B650 PLUS + AMD Expo), my CPU is near from 85° and when the OC is desactivated, he's like near from 65°.

The temperatures don't look bad but not perfect. So i decided to check the airflow when he's pushed at 87°. And the airflow was litteraly cold. So i touched the heat pipes and they was cold too, not even lukewarm. Is it normal ? They are supposed to dissipate the heat no ?

I thought that the thermal paste had not beind applied correctly so i re-installed it with new thermal paste, checking all is done correctly but exactly the same results. I read on forums that sometimes there's a little plastic film so i re-installed it on other time, checking there's no plastic film anywhere, put some thermal paste again correctly, reassembling the all thing carefully. And again, exactly same results.

I tried to desactivate the fan, just to check if something will be different and i have a variation of 2° :

- With fans at 100% and CPU at 100% -> 85° with OC / 63° with stock parameters
- Without fans and CPU at 100% -> 87° (And i stop the stress test to be safe) with OC / 65° with stock parameters

I have a good airflow with 1x120mm at back, 2x140 at the top, 2*140 on the front and 1*140 on the bottom. All the tests was done with the case open.

There may be a defect on the model I received?

Thank you in advance for your help and have a good day!

I fail to see the problem.. I mean a 7800X3D at full load 65C or 85C PBO under 20-25C ambient is just normal imo, my 5900X has samey temps on a 280mm AIO (max 170W PPT atm)

Ryzen 8cores chips (on one die) have concentrated heat generation on the chip that any cooler struggle to reduce fast, but it's not due to cooler being too weak (as when you send 250W on a mid range cooler that can't keep up)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

if the clockspeeds are good than i dont see how these temps are bad.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

5 hours ago, PDifolco said:

I fail to see the problem.. I mean a 7800X3D at full load 65C or 85C PBO under 20-25C ambient is just normal imo, my 5900X has samey temps on a 280mm AIO (max 170W PPT atm)

Ryzen 8cores chips (on one die) have concentrated heat generation on the chip that any cooler struggle to reduce fast, but it's not due to cooler being too weak (as when you send 250W on a mid range cooler that can't keep up)

Should be lower so there’s some problem somewhere.  Still works of course 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Should be lower so there’s some problem somewhere.  Still works of course 

Could be high ambient, poor airflow... Methinks cooling is good enough to not worry about 😁

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 hours ago, Shimejii said:

87c is no joke to human skin.

The heatpipes are going to be far cooler than the cpu.

Temps seem normal. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The heatpipes are going to be far cooler than the cpu.

Temps seem normal. 

It’s definitely within the usable range.  That’s a big ass cooler though.  

I tried to install my Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 yesterday and I can tell you that I get almost the same results (2-3° hotter on the Be Quiet!)

So ... I can resume that it's just normal to obtain these temps with this CPU!
The sad part is that unfortunately it cannot be cooled more than that with a very good CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D15

43 minutes ago, LeDoox said:

I tried to install my Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 yesterday and I can tell you that I get almost the same results (2-3° hotter on the Be Quiet!)

So ... I can resume that it's just normal to obtain these temps with this CPU!
The sad part is that unfortunately it cannot be cooled more than that with a very good CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D15

?!  How many watts does that thing throw out?  I should still be a pile less than an i7.  There’s a video that talks about how am5 has the processor in a weird place under the IHS that could be the problem.

Edited by Bombastinator

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

?!  How many watts does that thing throw out?  I should still be a pile less than an i7.  There’s a video that talks about how am5 has the processor in a weird place under the IHS that could be the problem.

That's what i conclude too!
If you find back this video, i'm curious to see it

And to conclude this topic, this is the answer from Noctua

image.thumb.png.108e963e5aaa00034d521efc3acf4136.png

Hope it will help peoples with the same question!

Thank you everyone !

4 hours ago, LeDoox said:

That's what i conclude too!
If you find back this video, i'm curious to see it

It was a recent LTT video.  There was a noctua bracket that moved the center a bit south that was good for 3c and then there was another that was a plastic block that was good for multiple times that but killed your warranty. Total was up to 20°c or something.  All I remember.

2 hours ago, LeDoox said:

And to conclude this topic, this is the answer from Noctua

image.thumb.png.108e963e5aaa00034d521efc3acf4136.png

Hope it will help peoples with the same question!

Thank you everyone !

Ok. So it really does run that hot.  That’s kinda nuts!  And really really hot.