Looking to get my first microphone for voice chatting.

Cyberspirit

Heyo!

In short, I'm looking for a microphone for some general chatting with friends that isn't too pricey but doesn't sound too bad either. XLR would be preferred.

So, I've never had or used a microphone before, but I want to finally get out of my shell and start talking with friends while we play games.

Now, my knowledge is super limited, since I only now looked into this stuff, but as far as I understand, I would likely need a dynamic microphone if I don't want it to pick up a lot of background noise such as fans, air conditioning or the washing machine. I live in an apartment with thin walls and sometimes there can be a lot of background noise when my neighbors or I use the washing machine or someone has guests over. I'm sure this wouldn't bother my friends but I would prefer the microphone not to pick these things up.

XLR would be preferred because I already have a Scarlet Solo which I use for my guitar but I don't have any spare USB ports on my PC. I understand that this might add extra cost but that's fine by me.

I would like to also get a microphone arm that can be mounted to the desk since I would mainly be using it for playing with friends. One that sits on the desk would get in the way too much. I would appreciate some help there as well.

My budget would be around 40.000 HUF (Hungarian Forint) or about $115 for the microphone mainly. The budget for the microphone arm I'm not super sure about because there are a lot of different ones out there.

This website: https://www.arukereso.hu/ lists a bunch of online shops from Hungary and is great for finding products here.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

just get a blue yeti its what everyone gets at some point.

I've been very happy with my AT2020 for a long time now, running a Behringer 802 for a mixer 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

29 minutes ago, emosun said:

just get a blue yeti its what everyone gets at some point.

I've heard that basically everyone starts or started with one of these but do they still hold up? I'd figure by now we'd have better stuff out. They sell for 45.000+ HUF here so they are still pretty high up there in price.

8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I've been very happy with my AT2020 for a long time now, running a Behringer 802 for a mixer 

Seen this one mentioned a lot as well but as far as I understand these condenser microphones pick up a lot of background noise. Which is why I though a dynamic one would be better for me.

What are your experiences with background noise with it? Maybe it's possible to eliminate it nowadays so it doesn't really matter anymore?

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

I've heard that basically everyone starts or started with one of these but do they still hold up?

well sound waves have been pretty consistent since it's introduction so they seem to hold up just fine with the linear passage of time. /s. but yeah they're fine , most of what makes sound good ends of the microphone eventually and has more to do with other aspects

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

Seen this one mentioned a lot as well but as far as I understand these condenser microphones pick up a lot of background noise. Which is why I though a dynamic one would be better for me.

What are your experiences with background noise with it? Maybe it's possible to eliminate it nowadays so it doesn't really matter anymore?

I mean that is a limit to condenser mics, but with the massive amount of tools available is it possible to hide bg noises, if you want a dynamic then there are good options like AKG p3 and p5 models 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I mean that is a limit to condenser mics, but with the massive amount of tools available is it possible to hide bg noises, if you want a dynamic then there are good options like AKG p3 and p5 models 

What I liked about dynamic is that it should be able to handle background noise better, however, what I din't like is that it has to be so close to you for it to get the best effect.

Condensers on the other hand seemed the exact opposite. I would really like to have it further from me and still get a good sound but background noise was my main issue.

However, if that can be eliminated, and it seems like it can, for the most part, I would rather go with a condenser instead.

So gonna go against everyone recommending condensers and reccomend dynamics.  Since everyone is recommending USB mics anyway I would go for 

https://mikrofon.arukereso.hu/audio-technica/atr-2100x-usb-p549879414/

The price on this audio Technica mic is a bit overpriced but there seems to be a price hike in this mic over the past year. This mic is both USB and XLR. So you can run it at USB for now and later make it sound even better using a interface.use the rest of your budget now on a cheap mic stand. A generic mic stand will do you wonders. 

If you want a setup with a interface now this interface combined with a cheap mic l

https://www.arukereso.hu/hangkartya-c3140/behringer/umc22-p564385104/#velemenyek

Mic's 

https://mikrofon.arukereso.hu/superlux/prad1-p349406629/

https://mikrofon.arukereso.hu/behringer/ultravoice-xm-8500-p35824702/#

Edit: if you go the interface route please refer to @GOTSpectrum's reccomendations with either akg mics. 

If you don't treat your room condensers sound bad. You an use AI noise suppression to make yourself sound better or not have to worry about it and just use a dynamic mic. 

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

So gonna go against everyone recommending condensers and reccomend dynamics.  Since everyone is recommending USB mics anyway I would go for 

https://mikrofon.arukereso.hu/audio-technica/atr-2100x-usb-p549879414/

The price on this audio Technica mic is a bit overpriced but there seems to be a price hike in this mic over the past year. This mic is both USB and XLR. So you can run it at USB for now and later make it sound even better using a interface.use the rest of your budget now on a cheap mic stand. A generic mic stand will do you wonders. 

If you want a setup with a interface now this interface combined with a cheap mic l

https://www.arukereso.hu/hangkartya-c3140/behringer/umc22-p564385104/#velemenyek

Mic's 

https://mikrofon.arukereso.hu/superlux/prad1-p349406629/

https://mikrofon.arukereso.hu/behringer/ultravoice-xm-8500-p35824702/#

If you don't treat your room condensers sound bad. You an use AI noise suppression to make yourself sound better or not have to worry about it and just use a dynamic mic. 

Hey I didn't recommend any USB mics lol 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Hey I didn't recommend any USB mics lol 

My bad my guy just kinda saw a bunch of blue yeti reccs. A mic in its own respect kinda bad these days. And when I see 2020 my brain automatically thinks the USB version due to that thing's popularity 

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

My bad my guy just kinda saw a bunch of blue yeti reccs. A mic in its own respect kinda bad these days. 

My advice was AT2020 for a condenser and AKG P3 or P5 for dynamics. 

Although, unless you have a specific need for an xlr mic a USB may be the way to go tbh. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

My advice was AT2020 for a condenser and AKG P3 or P5 for dynamics. 

Although, unless you have a specific need for an xlr mic a USB may be the way to go tbh. 

Yeah that's how I feel it felt weird reccomend the umc 22 as well cause a quality interface will just be better later than buying a cheap one now. Though I may have to back you on the akg mic reccomendations I definitely prefer both of these mics than the ones I went with for the XLR part of my comment. 

57 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Yeah that's how I feel it felt weird reccomend the umc 22 as well cause a quality interface will just be better later than buying a cheap one now. Though I may have to back you on the akg mic reccomendations I definitely prefer both of these mics than the ones I went with for the XLR part of my comment. 

I already got the scarlet solo 3rd gen. I got it for my guitar so since it has an XLR port on it and I'm out of USB ports, I figured my best bet would be an XLR microphone.

Do you think if I were to go with the AKG P5s I'd be fine with the scarlet solo?

6 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

I already got the scarlet solo 3rd gen. I got it for my guitar so since it has an XLR port on it and I'm out of USB ports, I figured my best bet would be an XLR microphone.

Do you think if I were to go with the AKG P5s I'd be fine with the scarlet solo?

Yes it should be fine to run out of a Scarlett