WWDC 2023: What to expect (READ FOR UPDATE)

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

P.S. Go back and watch the linked Mac Address video with him walking around and talking to people with a headset on with visual passthrough, don't ever try and tell me that's an actually workable use case.

You are sitting on a desk or a in a train. It's fine.

If you have to permanently mount the headset to your head, I would be worried.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

If the headset has a display that you cannot see directly through ie literal glass then it's a VR headset period. It has all the problems of one, every problem I have talked about. IF it's not showing you everything only through cameras and a screen and you can have direct natural light hitting your eyes i.e. optical glasses then and only then do my comments not apply.

You can say AR all you like, it's a VR headset if the above applies. If you cannot see the real world then you aren't AR, and seeing the real world the real worlds light hitting you eyes, not captured through a camera and displayed back to you. 

It is an AR headset. It's the only form of AR headset. Until they invent anti-light-rays, everything else is just a HUD. This is the very same problem projectors and transparent TVs face.

Marketing lies left, right and centre:

image.thumb.png.b6dc1b45ded02fae2781d442dc8849d2.png

Cameras are not perfect but it's good enough if the centre of your work is the virtual screen.

8 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Craig saying a bunch of stuff is `fun` when it obviously isn't feels like that robotic Intel presentation during covid. 

Not unusual for Apple presentations. Honestly it feels like watching kids TV, people who have lived in the UK will understand when I say these events give me strong Blue Peter / Rainbow vibes.

6 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Craig saying a bunch of stuff is `fun` when it obviously isn't feels like that robotic Intel presentation during covid. 

Everybody sounds and looks like they're dead inside...

31 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

It is an AR headset. It's the only form of AR headset. Until they invent anti-light-rays, everything else is just a HUD. This is the very same problem projectors and transparent TVs face.

It's VR Headset. Is it using screen panels? VR Headset. Also dude HUD is AR, that's the most literal exacting example of AR lol

I'm gutted to see that for the Mac Pro they just disembowelled it and threw their Silicon in. I was expecting to see something like an elongated Mac Studio. And then for an even more powerful Mac Pro they could just go-go-gadget elongate it again.

Talk about disappointment.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's VR Headset. Is it using screen panels? VR Headset. Also dude HUD is AR, that's the most literal exacting example of AR lol

Nope.

Check what AR actually means and why a HUD is not AR.

Here are the three main components of AR:

- realtime interactivity

- reality and virtual objects are intertwined

- real and virtual objects exist in the 3D space together

Google Glass is the perfect example of a simple HUD which has nothing to do with AR. Your car or jet aircraft has a simple HUD. Most games have a HUD. Your camera has a HUD.

Devices with AR? Good luck, finding one.

Spoiler

Why isn't my sick meme showing on firefox

Sooo 90% of the time it's being showed in AR.

But people here thought it was a "VR headset". 

On 5/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, saltycaramel said:

"Apple VR is dead, long live Apple VR."

On 5/27/2023 at 4:52 PM, saltycaramel said:

My prediction for the headset VR gaming line-up at launch:

- Resident Evil Village VR

- No Man's Sky VR

- GRID Legends VR

- What the bat? VR 

6 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

But people here thought it was a "VR headset". 

You included lmfao.

Also this thing looks like just another VR headset. I expected more from Apple. This looks like the lovechild of a Hololens and a quest pro.

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

You included lmfao.

But they went MLID style with this.

4 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

But if, as I suspect, today they will talk

- VR movies

- VR tv shows

- VR live concerts

- AR/VR games

- VR sport events

- VR fitness and meditation

those things scream “consumer”. 

But I agree the first generation has a limited scope compared to the second gen headsets (especially the cheaper one). Also limited availability, 1M/year is (comparatively) nothing.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:14 AM, saltycaramel said:

AR/VR crossover

VR/MR headset 

XR headset 

Pick your favorite definition.

But not just “VR headset” for sure. It fails to describe what Apple is trying to achieve with this.

Easy to play both sides.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

But they went MLID style with this.

Easy to play both sides.

"Let me just say that the headset thing will do everything under the sun to defend myself in case anyone calls me out later". 

Just taking pages out of MLID's playbook lol.

OK, if they actually managed to break the 16ms barrier, that is seriously impressive.

VisionOS's core sounds an awful lot like a *Nix compliant version of QNX

@leadeaterget ready for accountants to daily drive vision pros for Excel. Can you imagine? 3 Excel windows, wherever you go?

43 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Devices with AR? Good luck, finding one.

Magic Leap 2

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Ouch that price.

the-office-ouch.gif

The moment they were talking about the several screens and speakers it replaces it was obvious that it would come unlubricated lol 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Magic Leap 2

And these babies will just use a LCD shutter for AR content...

Because they don't have anti-light-rays. Thanks for the conversation.

The 15 inch MacBook pro was compared against a Quad Core 1.2 GHz i7. That is so fucking disingenuous. Of course it is 2x.

It has 8 fucking cores apple. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

23 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

@leadeaterget ready for accountants to daily drive vision pros for Excel. Can you imagine? 3 Excel windows, wherever you go?

There was a key problem I noticed during the presentation, absolutely zero data entry shown at all or the usage of a keyboard be it physical or virtual on screen. I saw a virtual keyboard once but it wasn't used.

So I'm still rather worried about the actual usability aspect of that, it looked great for viewing, displaying and sharing/collaborating such documents and presentations but that whole editing/creating side of it just wasn't shown at all.

One key area I mentioned a while back in this topic was addressed though, EyeSight. People can see you and what you are doing with it on so that makes it more suitable in an office environment. Also twice I questioned if it was transparent vision through the headset, very start and then a little later after I thought no it's not but then maybe...

I'm going to have to wait for reviews before all of that wearing it, walking around, being able to interact with people and real world objects is going to be believed as being actually good. 

Super disappointed in the release time frame though, so long to wait.

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

The 15 inch MacBook pro was compared against a Quad Core 1.2 GHz i7. That is so fucking disingenuous. Of course it is 2x.

It has 8 fucking cores apple. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

MacBook *Air*

The processor they compared it against is the modern equivalent of what used to be in the (old, intel) MacBook Air, as it's what fits in it's thermal envelope (back when the Air had a fan).

4 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

And these babies will just use a LCD shutter for AR content...

Because they don't have anti-light-rays. Thanks for the conversation.

Did you even look at it? No you didn't did you. Go do that first.