Requesting Recommendations to replace aging PC Speakers

emdeeQbit
Go to solution Solved by dizmo,

Honestly, get a pair of Mackie CRs and call it a day. You can then save up for a subwoofer if you get the X model.

They sound so much better than lower tier stuff, even without a sub.

Hey guys/gals,

I know this is probably a question that's been asked a billion times, but I've literally not bought a 5.1 speaker setup since 2005. I have an ancient Altec Lansing 5.1 that I literally duct-taped the housing on the subwoofer twice to remove rattling on, and it's sounded fantastic until developing a bit of a rattle again recently. I think it's time to find areplacement, simply because age is not doing the wires any justice.

My budget is malleable, I'd prefer to keep things under $250 if possible. Brands, I'm open to suggestions. I've got an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H board that'd I'd love to take full advantage of, in case I haven't been so far. The audio on it has been fantastic, both with speakers and on my Logitech headset. 

Sorry if this is a common "Ugh, not another post like this" post, but I've been out of hunting for PC speakers for... what, 18 years? So my knowledge is 2005-ish. 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help offered! I'll check back on this later tonight as time allows. :> 

6 minutes ago, emdeeQbit said:

Hey guys/gals,

I know this is probably a question that's been asked a billion times, but I've literally not bought a 5.1 speaker setup since 2005. I have an ancient Altec Lansing 5.1 that I literally duct-taped the housing on the subwoofer twice to remove rattling on, and it's sounded fantastic until developing a bit of a rattle again recently. I think it's time to find areplacement, simply because age is not doing the wires any justice.

My budget is malleable, I'd prefer to keep things under $250 if possible. Brands, I'm open to suggestions. I've got an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H board that'd I'd love to take full advantage of, in case I haven't been so far. The audio on it has been fantastic, both with speakers and on my Logitech headset. 

Sorry if this is a common "Ugh, not another post like this" post, but I've been out of hunting for PC speakers for... what, 18 years? So my knowledge is 2005-ish. 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help offered! I'll check back on this later tonight as time allows. 😆

are you looking for another 5.1 setup or just a simple 2.0?

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

are you looking for another 5.1 setup or just a simple 2.0?

To be honest, I'm open to suggestions on that, too. I've always had a 5.1 system and loved the subwoofer (previous speakers were also Altec Lansings, but even older), and before that, I had a pair of Yamaha speakers that seemed really good despite not having one.

The only thing I'm not too fond of is sound bars, because the only sound bar I've had experience with had poor bass - maybe it was supposed to be paired with a sub? I'm not sure, but it didn't have one and sounded... meh, at best.

22 minutes ago, emdeeQbit said:

To be honest, I'm open to suggestions on that, too. I've always had a 5.1 system and loved the subwoofer (previous speakers were also Altec Lansings, but even older), and before that, I had a pair of Yamaha speakers that seemed really good despite not having one.

The only thing I'm not too fond of is sound bars, because the only sound bar I've had experience with had poor bass - maybe it was supposed to be paired with a sub? I'm not sure, but it didn't have one and sounded... meh, at best.

Prices have definitely gone up since 2005 haha, I remember my own logitech 7.1 system for around the same price.  Maybe the Logitech Z625 would be an option?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Honestly, get a pair of Mackie CRs and call it a day. You can then save up for a subwoofer if you get the X model.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

42 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's two recommendations for Mackie CRs, so I'm going to say that's the direction I'll start looking then!

1 hour ago, emdeeQbit said:

That's two recommendations for Mackie CRs, so I'm going to say that's the direction I'll start looking then!

Get three pairs and sell one of the individual speakers, then find a sub. Back to 5.1 🙂

4 hours ago, emdeeQbit said:

I have the CR5BTs and I'm looking at getting a pair of CR3xs (currently on Marketplace for $35 new). Love'em, even with their massive size. They can also connect via Bluetooth. 

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Get three pairs and sell one of the individual speakers, then find a sub. Back to 5.1 🙂

I'm not sure they'd work like that, but I'm also not sure if you're joking 😂

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I have the CR5BTs and I'm looking at getting a pair of CR3xs (currently on Marketplace for $35 new). Love'em, even with their massive size. They can also connect via Bluetooth. 

I'm not sure they'd work like that, but I'm also not sure if you're joking 😂

Why wouldn't it work like that? 5 matched speakers driven by a 5.1 sound card or dac would work fine.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Why wouldn't it work like that? 5 matched speakers driven by a 5.1 sound card or dac would work fine.

I mean technically you can, but as powered speakers you'd have wires running everywhere and a lot of things to plug in. That may powered speakers can also create a really annoying buzzing sound. 

It's just really not a great idea, and not what they're designed to do. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler