ASUS is being a scumbag with the poor handling of bios updates and boards causing X3D chips to EXPLODE, are they even worth buy products from?

This has me worried since I have an ASUS GPU comming in my new system. I mean I chose it because I have seen a good amount of highly rated ASUS GPUs in the past and it was one of two name brand GPUs to chose from on the website of the builder I bought from.

I have used ASUS systems in the past at schools and work and some were fine while others were just large paper weights. So my personal track record with them is rocky.

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A54

Other: Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Azurael said:

This has me worried since I have an ASUS GPU comming in my new system. I mean I chose it because I have seen a good amount of highly rated ASUS GPUs in the past and it was one of two name brand GPUs to chose from on the website of the builder I bought from.

I have used ASUS systems in the past at schools and work and some were fine while others were just large paper weights. So my personal track record with them is rocky.

Every company has had terrible products, its how they deal with it thats the main reason for the backlash against ASUS at the moment.   I think you will be fine with the ASUS GPU and you will have nothing to worry about.  I have used ASUS for a long time and never had issues, I am using an ASUS board with my 7700x as well.
I'll probably hold off on ASUS motherboards going forwards but if they turn this garbage around and start acting like a decent company and treating their customers with respect,  I wouldn't mind buying an ASUS GPU later. Their GPU's are solid.

Where you spend your money is up to you. 
Personally, until they’re done with this, have fixed it and proven they’ve corrected themselves I’m done with at least their motherboards for a while. I’ve never really been big on the ROG line in general, and admittedly, if this CS and QC doesn’t transfer over to their GPU line up as well they’re among the top now that EVGA is done. There’s other options and I’ll be looking at them. Looked through my parts list and my wife’s list today and neither of us had any Asus parts in them to begin with. 
As far as I can remember I’ve really only ever had their Crosshair board for my 9900k and the ROG 2070. The price on the 2070 and the mark up for the ROG and the small difference compared to other cards what what originally put them a bit lower on my list.
They and their ROG line are more like Apple. You used to buy them for the quality and the customer service. They’re showing they’ve got neither anymore. 

This is coming from someone who still hasn’t gotten an MSI part since their AIO debacle besides a power supply. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

7 minutes ago, Azurael said:

I recommend just holding off on their motherboards for now. I haven't read or heard any issues with their recent graphics cards or anything so far. They do need to do a lot of work on their motherboards though, because even their B550 ROG line was weird. They shipped motherboards with faulty LAN chips, and didn't even bother to recall them when they fixed the problem and re-released the motherboards with new versions of the chips (Got a faulty one myself, but software update somewhat fixed the issue).

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

All of the Big 4 motherboard makers (Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI) have now had scandals involving Gamers Nexus. Asrock blacklisted GN (and HUB) over their coverage of their terrible Z390 boards. Gigabyte had the exploding power supplies. MSI had been pressuring GN for years to take down or soften bad coverage. And now Asus decided it would be a good idea to blame consumers for cooking up CPUs like eggs.

And that's just involving GN. This isn't even including Asrock's horrible B560 boards that were covered by Hardware Unboxed. Asus' screw up where they put capacitors on backwards that ruined some Z690 motherboards - covered by JayzTwoCents. Gigabyte's horrible GPU RMA debacle - also covered by Jay. And MSI's terrible handling of their failing AIOs - covered by Greg Salazar.

All of these companies do awful things from time to time. There's pretty much nowhere for consumers to go - those 4 make up nearly the entire motherboard market.

11 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Asus' screw up where they put capacitors on backwards that ruined some Z690 motherboards - covered by JayzTwoCents.

That Z690 capacitor issue was surprisingly well handled by ASUS and swiftly. It's like a completely different team handled this one. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Asus' screw up where they put capacitors on backwards that ruined some Z690 motherboards

There was also the issue where half of their Z690 Apex boards, a board that was specifically designed for memory overclocking, had the same memory overclocking support as a $200 Gigabyte board. The Z790 Apex in a lot of cases arrives bent and also has horrible QC, and the Z690 Formula was made out of aluminum for whatever reason and they wouldn't replace people's destroyed water cooling gear. Their X299 Apex was known for blowing up because they didn't put a big enough VRM on it for overclocking an X299 CPU, and their X99 Rampage boards had a bug where it would just randomly shove 1.8V into your CPU. 

This scummy behavior you're seeing now is what ASUS has been like for ages now, this is just the biggest time its made headlines. I'll be avoid them as much as I had before, not buying them unless they actually make a board that's a compelling value which given their latest pricing history means basically never buying an ASUS board. 

20 minutes ago, Lurking said:

This is what made me ask the question.

My Main PC

53 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Just posting this here as well. 

I had not heard about the prior gen Intel issues.  Which makes my (about an hour before this thread) question about other AM5 Full ECC boards even more relevant.

I think that tips the scales for me.  There's enough weight on the NO side for that to be my answer, at least until they've re-established a track record worthy of several hundred dollars on core gear per PC build.

7 hours ago, Countersync said:

I had not heard about the prior gen Intel issues.  Which makes my (about an hour before this thread) question about other AM5 Full ECC boards even more relevant.

I think that tips the scales for me.  There's enough weight on the NO side for that to be my answer, at least until they've re-established a track record worthy of several hundred dollars on core gear per PC build.

I am mainly worried since my new system is comming with an ASUS 4070 GPU. If ASUS has this type of fucked up track record what faith should I have in the GPU.

My Main PC

Think about this: wouldnt it be interesting if we find out down the line that Intel paid off Asus to voltage sabotage the mobos to kill AMD's success and market share?!? Theyve done it before, when AMD was on top, why wouldnt they do it again?! Having the voltage too high like that makes it perfectly plausible that it was just a programming mistake and will never happen again, we promise. You guys know how this goes. Asus seems to be taking the wrong turn at every fork here, making it worse instead of better. Maybe they thought nobody would even look for this or maybe somebody on the inside of asus is disgruntled?!?! Something is VERY wrong though. These are all just my opinions and im just asking questions that were bugging me and would looove to hear what others have to say.

@Alex Atkin UK posted this useful info earlier today, maybe this is affecting all AM5 boards:

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Terrible product is fine and expects to break , no one complains about cheap off brand burning out

BUT not when Asus selling everything single product at premium price while keep cutting corners