Entry Level DSLR Cameras

I recently started to take on photography as a hobby, I'm currently looking at a couple of DSLR cameras but I'm still not sure which to go with. I played around with my friend's Canon EOS Rebel T3i and I find it pretty easy and fun to use but I want to see if anyone has a good recommendation. I'd say my budget is around $600 tops. Hope to hear a lot of responses!

- Sena

T3i is a pretty solid choice. The D3200 is also an excellent choice.

If you think you'll really get into it, it's best to decide on a brand now. If you start buying more expensive lenses you'll likely stick with the brand you've chosen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

D3300 with something like a 18-140mm if you can afford it. Stock lens will do good for a while, but I would recommend getting the 18-140mm when/if you have extra money, 

Hi friend

D3300 with something like a 18-140mm if you can afford it. 

Hi friend

Listen to this man, he has a very nice dog. 

Error: 410

Wait....do you only want a body or kit lenses aswell?

Oh I'm sorry, yes, kit lenses as well.

Can you suggest a good mirrorless camera under 800$? Thanks!

D3300 with something like a 18-140mm if you can afford it. Stock lens will do good for a while, but I would recommend getting the 18-140mm when/if you have extra money, 

Hi friend

Depends on how far you want to take the hobby. You're buying more of a lens system than just a body brand. If I could do it again I'd go for a full frame right off the bat. I have a T3i, but it doesn't matter much.

Oh I'm sorry, yes, kit lenses as well.

Yes the t3i is a solid choice.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

T3i is a pretty solid choice. The D3200 is also an excellent choice.

If you think you'll really get into it, it's best to decide on a brand now. If you start buying more expensive lenses you'll likely stick with the brand you've chosen.

I got to try out the Nikon D5200 its actually pretty darn good~

Take a look here @Sena

http://snapsort.com/roundups/best-nikon-entry-level-dslrs

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Listen to this man, he has a very nice dog. 

ZlnMAh3.jpg

Can you suggest a good mirrorless camera under 800$? Thanks!

here you go 

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-System-10-30mm/dp/B005OGR3DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399780253&sr=8-1&keywords=Nikon+v1

That comes with two lenses. a 10mm (locked focal length) and a 10-30mm

If you were to spend anymore money on a camera, might as well get a DSLR.

ZlnMAh3.jpg

here you go 

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-System-10-30mm/dp/B005OGR3DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399780253&sr=8-1&keywords=Nikon+v1

Thanks!

Not for myself, my friend seems to be crazy about mirrorless cameras and I have no idea about them :/

Thanks!

Not for myself, my friend seems to be crazy about mirrorless cameras and I have no idea about them :/

In my opinion they are kind of pointless in the $400+ range considering you could get a DSLR with better image quality for the same money. But meh, it's his money. Sometimes you have to let people make mistakes :D

I learn a bit from this guy's videos. However, he does prattle on a lot. 

He has podcasts too so use those if you just want to listen since the videos are excessively long.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

In my opinion they are kind of pointless in the $400+ range considering you could get a DSLR with better image quality for the same money. But meh, it's his money. Sometimes you have to let people make mistakes :D

Yeah, when they don't take your suggestions its best to let them make the mistake ~ if you don't wanna learn for free ~ you gotta pay for it! xD

I learn a bit from this guy's videos. However, he does prattle on a lot. 

He has podcasts too so use those if you just want to listen since the videos are excessively long.

There are no other Photography Youtubers except for FroKnowsPhoto and Tony Northup  ;)

just kidding ^_^

I got to try out the Nikon D5200 its actually pretty darn good~

Take a look here @Sena

http://snapsort.com/roundups/best-nikon-entry-level-dslrs

Great camera, I have a few friends that used that as their first DSLR! The D5100 as well.

It's funny, a lot of the cameras in that list I'd consider a step or two above entry level. The D7100? Really?

There are a lot of mirrorless cameras that actually fare extremely well against full sized DSLR's. They're not to be brushed aside with a "they're all crap" attitude.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There are a lot of mirrorless cameras that actually fare extremely well against full sized DSLR's. They're not to be brushed aside with a "they're all crap" attitude.

Yes, but considering you can get a DSLR with better functionality for the same price, I don't see why not unless size is a REAL issue. The sensor in a DSLR is huge compared to the one in a mirror less camera.

Yes, but considering you can get a DSLR with better functionality for the same price, I don't see why not unless size is a REAL issue. The sensor in a DSLR is huge compared to the one in a mirror less camera.

Again, you're just comparing sensor size. You can actually get very good shots with a smaller sensor. Ones that compare just as well as the larger sensors.

Not only that, there are more than a few mirrorless cameras that use DSLR sized sensors in them.

I think you may be thinking of Micro 4/3's cameras. They all have smaller sensors.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

According to that site, the D5200 takes better pictures than the D5300:D

I might be wrong here, but don't they have the same sensor? :P Image quality should be the same

Not too sure about that mate, I'm sure there are a couple of differences that effect image quality other than the sensor. I just know Snapsort is very reputable for camera comparisons. Helped me pick out my Nikon P500 a couple of years back, great purchase. 

Great camera, I have a few friends that used that as their first DSLR! The D5100 as well.

It's funny, a lot of the cameras in that list I'd consider a step or two above entry level. The D7100? Really?

Haha don't know how the D7100 made it onto the list. 

Those Sony mirrorless ones were pretty darn good, I hear they were surprisingly durable too. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

ZlnMAh3.jpg

here you go 

That is a beautiful dog and a very nice picture!