Computer download speeds are getting bottlenecked

VeNoM4004
Go to solution Solved by VeNoM4004,

I tried what @beanhubbleday recommended but it gave no improvement. I ended up reinstalling Windows 11 but choosing to keep all my files and programs. The problem still persisted so I went in and turned off every single start up app I had (there were quite a lot). After doing that I restarted my computer and the problem was gone. Download speeds were where they should be. I know I could go through my startup apps one by one and do a speed test each time but I honestly don't feel like doing that, plus my boot drive is quite bloated and could use a refresh anyway. I'm currently backing up what I absolutely do not want to lose, then I am going to do another install where I keep my files but delete all my programs. I'll update afterwards on how it goes.

UPDATE: Problem is officially solved. I took the easy way out by reinstalling windows just to delete all my programs that I had, but the issue was not a windows issue. It was one of my programs that I had as a startup app. I tested my antivirus by itself to see if that was it before I went through all of that because that was the only obvious one I could think of, but it was not. If anyone else has this problem and you don't want to reinstall windows fresh, then I would suggest turning off all your start up apps and restarting. If that fixes it then I would launch each of those apps one by one and do a speed test after each one to see what causes the speeds to be limited.

First time posting to the forum (or any forum in general for that matter so forgive me if I do something incorrect). I have three computers in my house. All three of them are using WiFi 6 through PCIe cards. Two of the computers are side by side and one is in the next room over. Two of the computers are getting speeds I would expect (500-800 Mbps depending on network congestion). However one of the computers is getting anywhere from 8 Mbps to 100 Mbps. I know it is not a signal problem because it is one of the computers that are side by side and the other one gets great speeds. I have swapped the WiFi cards between computers and the problem persists with the same computer. I have mixed and matched antennas. I have made sure they are all using the same drivers. I even checked the network driver on my motherboard for my LAN just to rule everything out. It has to be a problem with the computer itself and not the cards/drivers but I dont know what else to check. I also have tried putting the computer as the highest priority on the router QoS, and have tried resetting network settings in command prompt using the "netsh winsock reset" command.

You may have to just re-install windows, if you have updated the drivers and you made sure you are on the proper wifi network as youve stated, sounds more like a potential software issue. Youve pretty much done what a normal end user should do.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

You may have to just re-install windows, if you have updated the drivers and you made sure you are on the proper wifi network as youve stated, sounds more like a potential software issue. Youve pretty much done what a normal end user should do.

Do you think I could test that by swapping boot drives between a good pc and the problem pc and seeing if the issue follows the drive?

UPDATE: I changed boot drives with one of the other computers and the problem PC managed to get MUCH better speeds that are on par with the other computers. The problem is definitely software related. The problem PC is Windows 11, while the other two are windows 10. I will try to reinstall windows 11 and if I still have issues I suppose I will try to find a way to roll back to Windows 10 like the others.

Edited by VeNoM4004
Update

I tried what @beanhubbleday recommended but it gave no improvement. I ended up reinstalling Windows 11 but choosing to keep all my files and programs. The problem still persisted so I went in and turned off every single start up app I had (there were quite a lot). After doing that I restarted my computer and the problem was gone. Download speeds were where they should be. I know I could go through my startup apps one by one and do a speed test each time but I honestly don't feel like doing that, plus my boot drive is quite bloated and could use a refresh anyway. I'm currently backing up what I absolutely do not want to lose, then I am going to do another install where I keep my files but delete all my programs. I'll update afterwards on how it goes.

UPDATE: Problem is officially solved. I took the easy way out by reinstalling windows just to delete all my programs that I had, but the issue was not a windows issue. It was one of my programs that I had as a startup app. I tested my antivirus by itself to see if that was it before I went through all of that because that was the only obvious one I could think of, but it was not. If anyone else has this problem and you don't want to reinstall windows fresh, then I would suggest turning off all your start up apps and restarting. If that fixes it then I would launch each of those apps one by one and do a speed test after each one to see what causes the speeds to be limited.