Buy 6700xt now or wait for 7000s to drop?

Hi all! 

My vega 64 has died 😞 so I'm after a replacement/upgrade and I'm seeing RX 6700xt for arounf £300-£350 used. Will the mid range 7000 series AMD cards affect the price of the 6700xt short term? Do I wait for them to drop soon or just buy it now? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

it might be a while before 7600 drops and prob quite a bit longer for others, so its really up to you the 6700 xt is a good card but if you are willing to wait (possibly up to a few months) then i would say wait as the increase in performance in generations is pretty significant. 
also keep in mind that when cards first drop their prices can often spike up above MSRP so it is possible you could have to wait even longer after it releases to even get your hands on one for a reasonable price. (although they have been alot better about this now that the GPU shortage is over)

I like to think I know a lot more about pcs than I actually do, please fact check everything I say as I am 14 lol

2 hours ago, IEatglue said:

it might be a while before 7600 drops and prob quite a bit longer for others, so its really up to you the 6700 xt is a good card but if you are willing to wait (possibly up to a few months) then i would say wait as the increase in performance in generations is pretty significant. 
also keep in mind that when cards first drop their prices can often spike up above MSRP so it is possible you could have to wait even longer after it releases to even get your hands on one for a reasonable price. (although they have been alot better about this now that the GPU shortage is over)

7600 is rumored to be an 8GB card, which should be a no go in 2023.

2 hours ago, Brynjolfsnewprotege said:

Hi all! 

My vega 64 has died 😞 so I'm after a replacement/upgrade and I'm seeing RX 6700xt for arounf £300-£350 used. Will the mid range 7000 series AMD cards affect the price of the 6700xt short term? Do I wait for them to drop soon or just buy it now? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

I wouldn't expect much from this gen of gpus, at least stuff launching soon. RX 7600 is rumored to be 8GB and so is RTX 4060 Ti and RTX 4060, so they're complete no-go IMO in 2023. It's rumored we will see a 7800 XT at Computex but who knows when that launches and that's not going to be anywhere close to the price range you're talking. Since your card is dead I'd probably just buy now. But what does RX 6800 go for where you're at? I don't think either an RX 7600 nor an RX 7800 XT will apply any downward pressure to RX 6700 XT prices. Only advantage the 7600 would be likely to have over the 6700 XT is power consumption and 7800 XT will be a completely different class of card. 7600 is rumored to be like a 6650 XT at 175W.

There are two options

1. You need a card right now in which case get the 6700 xt. I just got one in november last year and it's a beast.

2. You dont need a card right now and can wait a few months for the new cards which will drop the price of the 6700 xt

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

21 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

7600 is rumored to be an 8GB card, which should be a no go in 2023.

wait what

i take back what i said

21 hours ago, xFluing said:

There are two options

1. You need a card right now in which case get the 6700 xt. I just got one in november last year and it's a beast.

2. You dont need a card right now and can wait a few months for the new cards which will drop the price of the 6700 xt

i dont think it will drop the price of the 6700 xt or at least not immediately

so either buy now or get ready to wait and spend more money

I like to think I know a lot more about pcs than I actually do, please fact check everything I say as I am 14 lol

On 5/6/2023 at 4:56 AM, IEatglue said:

wait what

i take back what i said

i dont think it will drop the price of the 6700 xt or at least not immediately

so either buy now or get ready to wait and spend more money

What do you mean "wait and spend more money" the 6700 xt surely won't increase in price

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

All of the rumors for the rest of the 7000 series show it to be underwhelming at best. Unless you need AV1 encoding, you have access to all of the performance tiers AMD is going to offer, and likely at pricing that's as good as it's going to get.

Since your card died, I'd just get the 6700XT now. The 7600XT may have comparable performance, but it will have only 8GB of VRAM if the rumors are true. Then the 7700XT is likely to have around RX 6800 levels of performance, but only have 12GB of VRAM - again rumored. So the 6000 series should have a VRAM advantage at the various performance tiers over the 7000 series replacements, which probably will help their prices hold after the new cards launch.

I don't see the RX 6700XT/RX 6750XT dropping much below $350. Maybe down to $320 or so. It likely won't dip below $300 ever before going out of stock.

there were gonna be some releases this month maybe a 7600xt/7700xt you could wait for that. but honestly i would just go get a 6750xt new. and be good for a long while thanks to fsr 2 and possibly soon fsr framegen. since you probably play 1080p. as at least here in the netherlands germany belgium they go for roughly 430 new. in euros. i wouldnt exactly by used if new is slightly more expensive. warranty is just better.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

7 hours ago, xFluing said:

What do you mean "wait and spend more money" the 6700 xt surely won't increase in price

i mean the 7600 xt, its rumored to be 300-400 and will probably be on the higher side with comparable performance but less vram  

I would get a 6700xt now. Your card is dead and waiting won't get you anything better imo.

I purchased a new 6700xt for $380 USD after taxes, it's a 3 fan card so I paid ~$20 more for it vs base cards. It pulls less power than my 5700xt and performs better. Definitely a good card and I'm happy with it.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:01 AM, Brynjolfsnewprotege said:

Hi all! 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Your card is dead. What is the wait for maybe another month worth to you? 

If you can get a good deal on a 6700xt, take it. No need to get FOMO, the card doesn't become garbage the moment a new generation comes out. 

If you don't really need the new GPU for another month, you can of course wait 🙂

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

19 hours ago, xFluing said:

It definitely will once stores have cleared their inventory in anticipation of the 7600. There is nothing new coming that looks reasonable to buy in that $350 to $400 price range any time soon. Nvidia is dropping an 8GB 4060 Ti that'll probably be DOA some time this month for a rumored $400, the 7600 is an 8GB card supposedly targeting 6650 XT performance for $330 which sounds even worse, and the rumor is AMD is holding off on releasing any 7700 series card due to not having room for one right when they're trying to squeeze $330 out of people for the 7600 and will instead release a 7800 XT after the 7600. This current gpu gen looks like complete shit outside the high end (eg 4090 and 7900 XT/XTX), even worse than Turing.

1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

Your card is dead. What is the wait for maybe another month worth to you? 

If you can get a good deal on a 6700xt, take it. No need to get FOMO, the card doesn't become garbage the moment a new generation comes out. 

If you don't really need the new GPU for another month, you can of course wait 🙂

Wait a month and you'll probably get higher prices on 6700 XT / 6750 XT when the new gpus disappoint. Maybe if you wait six months and Nvidia sees no one wants to spend $400 on an 8GB 4060 Ti they'll release a $400 16GB 4060 Ti Super and you'd have something new worth buying in that current 6700 XT / 6750 XT price range.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wait a month and you'll probably get higher prices on 6700 XT / 6750 XT when the new gpus disappoint. Maybe if you wait six months and Nvidia sees no one wants to spend $400 on an 8GB 4060 Ti they'll release a $400 16GB 4060 Ti Super and you'd have something new worth buying in that current 6700 XT / 6750 XT price range.

Possibly. If they manage to clear the 6000 inventory to that degree. My personal experience is that Danish retailers seem more interested in charging the price they paid + profit margin. Which has led to some curious pricing when the RX 6600 xt was priced significatly higher than the 6650 xt due to them buying their stock before the gpu prices dropped. I asked them directly about it.

Anyway, IF the 6000 prices go up and the 7000s are priced badly im personally gonna throw my arms up in frustration  and go "skrew it!! 4070 Ventus it is!"

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)