Do I just need a PoE switch? A network setup advise needed

V_King

Hello, I wonder if anybody can help me with the network setup. I am looking for somebody with experience whom could point me to the right direction. 

I run a small workshop and up until recently I was using my mobile phone hotspot for all my internet needs. I recently bought a CNC mill and need to setup a proper local network to support a few functions as below.

1. I need to setup a local windows ftp server, so that cnc mill could connect to transfer data via local network.

2. I need to add a few PoE IP cameras to monitor the machine operation when I am out. The machine will be running overnight. 

3. To access the cameras I need broadband connection. 

I am unable to get any cable/wired broadband into the unit. But just accross the road there is a 5G tower and Three (UK provider) is overing a good 5G broadband deal with free Zyxel NR5103E hub/modem/router.

I am struggling to find much information about the Zyxel hub online. It seems the "E" options was exclusively made for Three and probably has some limitations than standard Zyxel offering. 

So all in all I wonder if I only need to buy a PoE switch, and then connect everything (Windows FTP server/IP camera record box IP cameras, CNC mill), via that switch into the Zyxel hub and I should be ok? Or am I misunderstanding something? 

I have been looking for somthing like this for the PoE switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B08DVFMCK4?th=1

Any constructive advise is much appreciated. I would like to avoid any DIY setups (eg trying setup a PC based router or smth) and do not need a perfect/ideal setup. The requirements will most probably change in next few years and I don't know what else will be needed. Maybe there is a go to small enterprise router/switch/PoE combo I could buy cheap off ebay? 

P.S. I am based in UK, I don't know if that affects the setup availability

@V_King
The ZyxelZyxel NR5103E would function as your modem and router, which means plugging a POE switch into in, then all your devices into the POE switch would work for your use case.

The POE switch you linked is certainly fine on it's own, but what you need to check is that the cameras that you want to run do not require more power than that small POE switch can handle. That switch does 30w max for a given port, and 65w max total across all ports. The 65w total is the key. I haven't seen too many cameras draw more than 15-20w on their own (for the smaller consumer cameras anyway), but if for example you have 4x20w cameras then you'd be out of luck. So just think about what you need now and what you may need in the future, in addition to what cameras you want to buy.

just a PoE switch sounds right, but i'd suggest going for a bigger switch. even a 16-port switch with 4 or 8 PoE+ ports doesnt break the bank *that* much, and you'll get much more use out of it as the business will (likely / hopefully ?) expand.

something like this thing would be my first guess:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/poe-switch/tl-sg1016pe/

34 minutes ago, V_King said:

Hello, I wonder if anybody can help me with the network setup. I am looking for somebody with experience whom could point me to the right direction. 

I run a small workshop and up until recently I was using my mobile phone hotspot for all my internet needs. I recently bought a CNC mill and need to setup a proper local network to support a few functions as below.

1. I need to setup a local windows ftp server, so that cnc mill could connect to transfer data via local network.

2. I need to add a few PoE IP cameras to monitor the machine operation when I am out. The machine will be running overnight. 

3. To access the cameras I need broadband connection. 

I am unable to get any cable/wired broadband into the unit. But just accross the road there is a 5G tower and Three (UK provider) is overing a good 5G broadband deal with free Zyxel NR5103E hub/modem/router.

I am struggling to find much information about the Zyxel hub online. It seems the "E" options was exclusively made for Three and probably has some limitations than standard Zyxel offering. 

So all in all I wonder if I only need to buy a PoE switch, and then connect everything (Windows FTP server/IP camera record box IP cameras, CNC mill), via that switch into the Zyxel hub and I should be ok? Or am I misunderstanding something? 

I have been looking for somthing like this for the PoE switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005P-Ethernet-Configuration-Required/dp/B08DVFMCK4?th=1

Any constructive advise is much appreciated. I would like to avoid any DIY setups (eg trying setup a PC based router or smth) and do not need a perfect/ideal setup. The requirements will most probably change in next few years and I don't know what else will be needed. Maybe there is a go to small enterprise router/switch/PoE combo I could buy cheap off ebay? 

P.S. I am based in UK, I don't know if that affects the setup availability

I'd snag a capable PoE switch within your budget. My recommendations might be a bit extreme on scale since I manage a medium sized business, but Sonicwall switches are maybe $2500 and can operate in standalone, but can't be stacked. If you only at most need 48 ports with PoE, then that's the best value I've seen around.

I'd just make sure whatever firewall you have setup, even if its just in your router/modem, has your FTP server only accessible via a whitelist. A dedicated firewall gets expensive, but worst case, setting it up on the modem/router and in Windows firewall as a dedicated whitelist can be a lifesaver. 

Regarding cameras, I'd just have them setup through a VLAN on whatever switch you get, assuming you get just one switch. Otherwise a dedicated PoE switch can be helpful in reducing the intensity of powering several PoE cameras. Would let you have a separate network for the cameras with their recording server versus having that traffic going through your main switch.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Thanks for all the answers. 

Camera specs list max power consumption is <9W, so I should be ok with power requirements. 

And I will have to have a look at the whitelists and VLAN. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully the tp-link UI is easy to navigate. 

As above, assuming your cameras won’t go over the power draw, connecting the switch straight into the router will work for what you’re trying to do. 

I’ve previously configured this exact setup (CNC Mill, FTP Server) in corporate land so if you’ve got any questions feel free to pm me. 

good luck. 

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]