How do I access this old HDD?

Dalli

Hi there, I just got bored and decided to start up my old desktop from +10 years ago, unfortunately it didn't boot. So I removed the HDD hoping I can plug it and access what's on it. But this is my first time dealing with HDD... I don't know what those 2 ports types and which cables do I need to plug in the HDD and to my modern B450M DS3H mobo. Appreciate your help!

20230429_163433.thumb.jpg.ef85bfb4c6ff29dd995787202e86cc9d.jpg20230429_163417.thumb.jpg.e31749c44744ffbabc5b687ae3a63369.jpg20230429_163339.thumb.jpg.b1d954a0c1d5088f4a9414aa5378527a.jpg

That's just a SATA hard drive. You connect it the same way you connect a 2.5" SATA SSD.

Ignore the little two-pin connector. That's for manufacturing and low-level access to the controller. You don't need to touch it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

A regular SATA data cable connects the drive to a SATA port on your motherboard - check the manual just in case some SATA ports are disabled if you have M.2 SSDs installed, if so avoid the SATA ports mentioned in the manual.  If you have no SATA drives currently, you should still have some SATA cables in the box the motherboard came in.

The power supply will have SATA power connectors - you plug one of those connectors in the wider section of the hard drive connector

Both connectors are keyed, they have a L shape, so you can only insert the plugs one way, don't force it.

thanks for both of you.

I have SATA3 ports on my mobo, so I should buy a SATA cable (doesn't matter if they are SATA 2 or 3, if that even exists for cables?) and plug in the HDD, then take the other port and plug in the larger SATA power connecter from my PSU. Hope I m not missing anything else!

2 minutes ago, Dalli said:

doesn't matter if they are SATA 2 or 3, if that even exists for cables?)

Correct, SATA revisions are more dependent on the onboard controller. Really old SATA cables still do SATA 3

Edit: how about using the old SATA cable from the old desktop? It must have a couple 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Dalli said:

I have SATA3 ports on my mobo, so I should buy a SATA cable (doesn't matter if they are SATA 2 or 3, if that even exists for cables?) and plug in the HDD, then take the other port and plug in the larger SATA power connecter from my PSU. Hope I m not missing anything else!

That's all!

If you still have the box your motherboard came in, check that first before you buy anything. Motherboards usually come with at least a couple SATA cables.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.