Do I upgrade my GTX1060 6GB or wait?

This is my current PC part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ElectricGeckos/saved/#view=n8Y74D

I have been rocking my GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card for a while now. I want to play some more eye candy games that I have saved up on Steam in my library.

Right now my PC gets an average of 30fps low, 45fps, and 60fps high on games like COD, Overwatch, and Halo Infinite at 1080p on my 1440p screen. The main reason I want to start playing my collection of story games is that all of my multiplayer games get 500 ping or more. I just lag when playing, my internet provider is bad.

What are some cards I should be looking at? I also think nearly every card I could look at could be an upgrade from my 2017 card, and my main focus I think I should be looking at is how much ram the card has. I was thinking an Intel Arc 770? or an RX 7000 or 6000(I do not know Amd cards, their naming scheme confuses me), and or an RTX 3080?

Or should I wait till graphics cards come more down because the prices are still inflated right?

2 minutes ago, ElectricGeckos said:

This is my current PC part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ElectricGeckos/saved/#view=n8Y74D

I have been rocking my GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card for a while now. I want to play some more eye candy games that I have saved up on Steam in my library.

Right now my PC gets an average of 30fps low, 45fps, and 60fps high on games like COD, Overwatch, and Halo Infinite at 1080p on my 1440p screen. The main reason I want to start playing my collection of story games is that all of my multiplayer games get 500 ping or more. I just lag when playing, my internet provider is bad.

What are some cards I should be looking at? I also think nearly every card I could look at could be an upgrade from my 2017 card, and my main focus I think I should be looking at is how much ram the card has. I was thinking an Intel Arc 770? or an RX 7000 or 6000(I do not know Amd cards, their naming scheme confuses me), and or an RTX 3080?

Or should I wait till graphics cards come more down because the prices are still inflated right?

7900 xt is great value rn

also the link doesn't work

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

1 minute ago, Bob__ said:

Like 800-ish on amazon

Your parts list is private, so we can't see the rest of your system.

If you feel like your GPU is underperforming compared to what you need, then it's time to consider an upgrade. In that case, what is your budget?

Here's a brief explanation of the GPU naming schemes - they're all basically the same, actually:

The first number is the generation, and the second non-zero number is the performance tier. The final non-zero number, if present, denotes a slightly higher class within the tier - Nvidia hasn't used that in a while, but they used to, like the GTX 285. Any letters afterwards are good - they say that the card is a higher class than the ones without the letters. AMD uses XT or XTX - the second being even better, and Nvidia uses Ti or Super. "RX" is just a name that tells you it's a graphics card, like with "GTX" or "RTX."

Intel is a bit weird in that the generation "number" is a letter. "Arc" is the name. So far, it isn't clear if Intel really has trailing letters, but they do have an A770 LE (Limited Edition) that comes with more VRAM. The pattern for Intel naming may change over time, as they're brand new in the space.

And, arguably, Nvidia's first two numbers are the generation. And the only series by Nvidia that breaks this set of rules (at least recently) is the 16 series, with cards like the GTX 1660 Super, where the second non-zero number is part of the generation, not the performance tier.

Here's a basic comparison between them:

AMD RX 6650 XT

Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti

Intel Arc A770 LE

1 hour ago, ElectricGeckos said:

Where do you live? 

Amd is reducing prices like crazy right now, so depending on local prices, you should be able to get an RX 6600 or rx 6650 xt for a very decent price. 

These two models are comparable to the 3060, the 6650 is a bit faster, and the 6600 a bit slower. 

1 hour ago, Bob__ said:

also the link doesn't work

Isn't it a bit overkill for a person coming from a 1060?

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

8 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Where do you live? 

Amd is reducing prices like crazy right now, so depending on local prices, you should be able to get an RX 6600 or rx 6650 xt for a very decent price. 

These two models are comparable to the 3060, the 6650 is a bit faster, and the 6600 a bit slower. 

Isn't it a bit overkill for a person coming from a 1060?

I cant see the build so how am I supposed to know what they want in terms of price

2 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

I cant see the build so how am I supposed to know what they want in terms of price

Fair, they did mention a 1440p screen and a backlog of single player games, so my thoughts went more for something in the area of 3070/6800,but agreed, without a budget it's hard to know 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

17 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Where do you live?

I live in Kansas, near Wichita.

18 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Your parts list is private, so we can't see the rest of your system.

I have made the part list public.

A 7800X might be a bottleneck for some of the really high end games of today though 6c/12t should be OK for now - at least until you lose Windows support in 2025 (as your CPU doesn't support Win 11).

My 3060 works OK at 1440p but I certainly have to manage settings on newer games. Also the more poweful 3060 TI and 3070 only have 8GB of VRAM and the current argument is that it probably isn't enough going forward, so they aren't sensible options either.

If you have $500ish I'd go with the 6800XT for around $530 new as 16GB VRAM should hold it reasonably well going forward. On the Nvidia side, probably the 4070 which is selling for around it's $600 MSRP - though the value argument is debatable, in part since it has 12GB VRAM. The Nvidia card is far more efficient though so if power draw is a factor it might be a better choice.

The Arc 770 might be a good choice and is certainly cheaper while providing potentially double the performance of your 1060... but you absolutely need resizeable BAR support enabled in the BIOS otherwise the performance numbers will tank hard. And your motherboard is probably too old to have support for it.

That said, I'd ignore older reviews as some of the recent driver updates have made big differences... I'd suggest watching the Gamers Nexus video from a few months ago regarding performance and making decisions based on that:

Either way, to get any meaningful improvement from a new card you're going to need at least $250 for the A750 or $340 for the A770 16GB - and that's assuming that your CPU doesn't hold it back which is certainly possible in any case (& especially if you don't have ReBar support), though ymmv. The AMD/Nvidia cards are far more expensive but you do get significantly more performance over the A770 so I wouldn't rule them out.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

As a 3080 10GB owner with 1440p display, I agree on one of these for your rig:

• 4070 or better - Good performance with more VRAM
  • 6800/XT or better - I don't have experience with AMD GPUs, but has more VRAM, good performance, good value
  • 3080 12GB LHR or better - Great performance but more expensive than the others

I would expect a CPU bottleneck with some games given your older CPU, but you can get a sense for that with your existing games if you watch CPU % during 1440p gameplay or frame drops when GPU % isnt high.

7 hours ago, ElectricGeckos said:

I live in Kansas, near Wichita.

I have made the part list public.

The sapphire pulse rx 6800/6800 xt can be had for 509/540 $ with an additional 20$ rebate on Newegg. 

Sounds like a decent price to my Danish ears, but I don't know about local salestax.

According to the GPU hierarchy at Tom's Hardware the 6800xt outperforms the 4070 in rasterized performance, and the 6800 is about 10% slower. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html