I want to buy more RAM

I have a single channel 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Samsung RAM in my pc, My motherboard is dual channel compatible, my questions is, Is it okay if I buy a RAM with those exact specs from another brand or they will not work together properly? Is it a must to buy a 2x16GB kit?

Strongly recommended to buy a 2x kit, but if the specs match on 2 different sticks they would probably work together.

I edit my posts more often than not

I have never had problems mixing RAM. However, that doesn't mean that you won't.

The unfortunate truth is that you won't know until you try. But if you're willing to put up with the hassle, you can always return the new stick if it fails to work with your old one, then buy a 2x16GB kit.

Also, another important factor: what motherboard do you have? Some OEM boards only allow you to install the "official" RAM that is supposed to come with your computer and otherwise disable XMP with no way to turn it back on.

What is your ram?

What mobo?

What cpu?

Send a screenshot of thaiphoon burner, but if its bare pcb (no heatsink) then just take a photo of the black ics making sure the text is readable

You can problably just buy another used 16gb bare pcb with a matching ram ic. Though if your board has 4 slots, 16gb sticks are expensive, and the ram ics on your rams are garbage (ex hynix mfr), then sell the 16gb stick and buy 4 sticks of hma81gu6djr8n or if you only need 16gb of ram but want the extra performance of dual channel dual rank then hma451u6afr8n. Both will do 4000+ with ease but youll problably run into imc limits first (gear 1 or sync fclk)

56 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is your ram?

What mobo?

What cpu?

Send a screenshot of thaiphoon burner, but if its bare pcb (no heatsink) then just take a photo of the black ics making sure the text is readable

You can problably just buy another used 16gb bare pcb with a matching ram ic. Though if your board has 4 slots, 16gb sticks are expensive, and the ram ics on your rams are garbage (ex hynix mfr), then sell the 16gb stick and buy 4 sticks of hma81gu6djr8n or if you only need 16gb of ram but want the extra performance of dual channel dual rank then hma451u6afr8n. Both will do 4000+ with ease but youll problably run into imc limits first (gear 1 or sync fclk)

Here's my ram, I have 2 slots in the mobo so it's not gonna be expensive, it's dual channel compatible, my mobo is Intel B660 Chipset and my CPU is a i512400F wich not perform that well without dual channel atleast ChatGPT said that to me XD so yea I believe it

20230421_181642.jpg

20230421_181754.jpg

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

I have never had problems mixing RAM. However, that doesn't mean that you won't.

The unfortunate truth is that you won't know until you try. But if you're willing to put up with the hassle, you can always return the new stick if it fails to work with your old one, then buy a 2x16GB kit.

Also, another important factor: what motherboard do you have? Some OEM boards only allow you to install the "official" RAM that is supposed to come with your computer and otherwise disable XMP with no way to turn it back on.

I have a Intel B660 Chipset I will try to find if it's allows me to install other brands too

9 minutes ago, Bonto said:

I have a Intel B660 Chipset I will try to find if it's allows me to install other brands too

It usually boils down to the BIOS,

13 minutes ago, Bonto said:

20230421_181642.jpg

That looks like an OEM board, which are notorious for disabling certain features or being really cut down in a lot of ways.
You could try to source the exact same stick again (look up the info and use Ebay) or hope to be lucky

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

16gbit samsung a die??? Atleast thats what i see based on the text of the ic and the model number

49 minutes ago, Bismut said:

You could try to source the exact same stick again

^^^

Find someone that sells used ddr4 and ask if they have your specific ram which is just telling them your rams model number

1 hour ago, Bismut said:

It usually boils down to the BIOS,

That looks like an OEM board, which are notorious for disabling certain features or being really cut down in a lot of ways.
You could try to source the exact same stick again (look up the info and use Ebay) or hope to be lucky

This PC is a LENOVO prebult one https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/IdeaCentre/IdeaCentre_Gaming_5_17IAB7?M=90T1001NRI here is all of its specs and they only say that 

Memory Slots
Two DDR4 UDIMM slots, dual-channel capable
Max Memory
Up to 32GB DDR4-3200

So I dont know, I think they wouldve mentioned if it was not compatible with any DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

50 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

16gbit samsung a die??? Atleast thats what i see based on the text of the ic and the model number

^^^

Find someone that sells used ddr4 and ask if they have your specific ram which is just telling them your rams model number

This PC is a LENOVO prebult one https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/IdeaCentre/IdeaCentre_Gaming_5_17IAB7?M=90T1001NRI here is all of its specs and they only say that 

Memory Slots
Max Memory
Up to 32GB DDR4-3200

So I dont know, I think they wouldve mentioned if it was not compatible with any DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

1 hour ago, Bonto said:

Memory Slots
Max Memory
Up to 32GB DDR4-3200

If you go into the BIOS, does it mention XMP or memory tuning/OC anywhere?

If it doesn't, then you may have a problem, because it would likely try to automatically detect if a memory module has XMP, and enable it automatically. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't detect that, then you'd have no way to turn on XMP and get the memory running at its rated speed.

The concern is not that the motherboard won't support DDR4-3200 RAM, it's that you may not be able to manually turn on XMP for the RAM once you get it, if the motherboard fails to enable it.

That said, there are memory modules rated for DDR4-3200 using JEDEC specs that should work fine regardless, but you'd need to make sure that the RAM has JEDEC timings, and that it isn't using XMP to achieve that speed.

17 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

If you go into the BIOS, does it mention XMP or memory tuning/OC anywhere?

If it doesn't, then you may have a problem, because it would likely try to automatically detect if a memory module has XMP, and enable it automatically. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't detect that, then you'd have no way to turn on XMP and get the memory running at its rated speed.

The concern is not that the motherboard won't support DDR4-3200 RAM, it's that you may not be able to manually turn on XMP for the RAM once you get it, if the motherboard fails to enable it.

That said, there are memory modules rated for DDR4-3200 using JEDEC specs that should work fine regardless, but you'd need to make sure that the RAM has JEDEC timings, and that it isn't using XMP to achieve that speed.

Memorie ADATA Premier, 16GB DDR4, 3200MHz CL22 What do you think about that RAM? This has JEDEC and fully matching the specs of mine 

19 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I really am no expert when it comes to RAM, but Ebay usually produces some results and I would expect the same model number to be, well, the same.

Trans Rights!

3 minutes ago, Bonto said:

Memorie ADATA Premier, 16GB DDR4, 3200MHz CL22 What do you think about that RAM? This has JEDEC and fully matching the specs of mine 

If the specs all match, including the JEDEC timings, then it should work fine. Again, you can't know for sure until you actually try it, but you can always return the memory if this fails.

So the BIOS has no memory OC/XMP options?

23 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I really am no expert when it comes to RAM, but Ebay usually produces some results and I would expect the same model number to be, well, the same.

Forgot on ebay you can search for model numbers and get exactly the rams you are looking for

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Forgot on ebay you can search for model numbers and get exactly the rams you are looking for

I feel like this is sarcasm. You should of course always check that the numbers are matching, but I feel like that is a given if you seek out specific RAM on Ebay, which is notorious for having false information in listings because people are eejits

Trans Rights!

32 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I feel like this is sarcasm. You should of course always check that the numbers are matching, but I feel like that is a given if you seek out specific RAM on Ebay, which is notorious for having false information in listings because people are eejits

Nope cause i dont buy anything from ebay, only locally unless aliexpress got stuff that the locals dont have

If the numbers dont even match then just look for someone that resells alotta diff types of rams and ask em if they got the stick you want

Here in indo noone lists specific models just buncha listings where if you dont specify youll just be sent random rams, usually i scour around till i find the specific rams im looking for, alot easier when the rams have a model number instead of asking by ram ic type