Managed to burn in some stuff on my QD-OLED Alienware AW3423DW

Serin

Was sick over the weekend, so played evidently too much Halo.
Burned in some UI elements and some larger blocks of discolouration that might be from some 3d suites I use regularly.
So, just in case anyone had yet to see some hands-on usage and evidence of QDOLED burn in... Be afraid, be afraid to a reasonable level of afraidness.

And just for reference,
I run in 1000nit peak mode and swap between full HDR brightness for games and some work and lowest brightness in the windows display settings for less important work.
The 7 minute pixel refresh was done pretty regularly, with the panel refresh perhaps less so.
Received the monitor just under a year ago. July 2022 I believe.

0LuaBQk.jpg

HtQmHjs.jpg

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

This sucks,

I have been using my LCD TN panel since 2015 and it works like a champ.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Image retention and burn in are still distinctly different things with OLED so all may not be lost yet. Does that panel list hours in use anywhere? 

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Image retention and burn in are still distinctly different things with OLED so all may not be lost yet. Does that panel list hours in use anywhere? 

On your question - nup. Not that I can find or am aware of.
And yeah - I wish it was just some classic image retention. But having run multiple pixel/panel refreshes over the week... I fear it may be stuffed.
Which is fine. Very much under warranty. But yeah. Super fun.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Same with this Editor: I didn’t fear burn-in on my OLED gaming monitor — until I got burned | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

So yeah, certainly seems like even QD-OLED is not enough for desktop usage. Hope we will someday see Micro-LED monitors that are afforable 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I've had burn in on my 65" LG due to bright red icons on my Windows screen.

I neutralised those icons and the Burn In completely disappeared after around 2 months.

(It didn't disappear tough, it was handled by the wear tools)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

RTINGS had similar findings with their accelerated longevity test with QD-OLED models having significant burn-in while LG's TV models had none. It sucks for the user, sure. But this one will really suck for Dell who has probably been selling millions of QD-OLED monitors including burn in warranty since the panel released.

@Serin you really seem to attract burn-in with your specific use case. From what i've seen you post in the past you even managed to burn-in some IPS monitors. So just out of curiosity, why did you go OLED in the first place knowing your use case is rather extreme for any monitor?

These findings really suck and are the exact opposite compared to what Samsung, and thus LTT and other content creators marketed with QD-OLED and it's resistance to burn-in. I'm glad i decided against the AW3423DW and for my C2. Didn't encounter any image retention yet, not even the temporary sort. Even after playing the same game for 200 Hours or so with little to no content variation in between. As a side not i use my C2 24/7 in HDR with the windows SDR conversion slider at 5. That means SDR content is 100 nits peak, HDR is full blast.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

36 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

RTINGS had similar findings with their accelerated longevity test with QD-OLED models having significant burn-in while LG's TV models had none. It sucks for the user, sure. But this one will really suck for Dell who has probably been selling millions of QD-OLED monitors including burn in warranty since the panel released.

@Serin you really seem to attract burn-in with your specific use case. From what i've seen you post in the past you even managed to burn-in some IPS monitors. So just out of curiosity, why did you go OLED in the first place knowing your use case is rather extreme for any monitor?

These findings really suck and are the exact opposite compared to what Samsung, and thus LTT and other content creators marketed with QD-OLED and it's resistance to burn-in. I'm glad i decided against the AW3423DW and for my C2. Didn't encounter any image retention yet, not even temporarily. Even after playing the same game for 200 Hours or so with little to no content variation in between.

lol good to know I have -a reputation- for burning shit into panels.
I guess my deciding to go this way back then was driven by a level of the advertising done on QDs not burning in. That and its attractive properties in terms of visual quality. I'd never gone OLED prior, so it was just bloody exciting. Besides the benefits for my work and gaming.
There was nothing I could see on the market with the same level of attraction. I'm a bit of a d*ckhead in that regard. This is the part where I point to my LG 5K2K(s).

And yep, I kind of figured it was coming after that RTINGS article.
Off to warranty land. Again.

Cheese monger.

That sucks and so early on. I'm not into any current OLED models luckily, but yeah not sure how much really can they improve the tech in this regard. It's not even that insanely bright. Let alone if people use it for whole day with static elements from programs, browser, game.

I look forward to upcoming monitors but paying a lot for something that is so sensitive and can be damaged...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I've had Burn In on LG. It did disappear (not get cured, the wear is real) because I could cancel the cause.

I believe every Burn In could be solved this way, but not many are in the position to cancel the cause.

Every second an Oled subpixel is turned ON, it gets weaker, on every Oled screen. Even if you can't see it.

We all have Burn In even if we can't see it (yet).

(And don't forget I run my big screen as pc monitor at 0 brightness) (I have around 16000h)

And you say you haven't got Burn In. First you're not sure, maybe LG just got good at remedying Burn In (the TV finds damaged subpixels, it downgrades the brightness of every other same color subpixel to that level and Shazam ! But it shouldn't react too fast, too strong, because tomorrow some other same color subpixel might be damaged and you'd have two downgrades instead of just one). Second, how do you check ? (You should display one full Red, Blue, Green and White screen).

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:59 AM, BetteBalterZen said:

Same with this Editor: I didn’t fear burn-in on my OLED gaming monitor — until I got burned | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

So yeah, certainly seems like even QD-OLED is not enough for desktop usage. Hope we will someday see Micro-LED monitors that are afforable 🙂

Well he not mentioned if he ran pixel or panel refresh on time. They found Sony TV's on samsung panel also burn in You know why ?? 

Sony Running less often panel maintenance.  LG runs 21 times per week Sony.... 3 so it Burnt in. And this will be same case with monitor. You skip those pixel and panel refresh often you will fuck the panel up like on Sony qdoled tvs. No mystery here why she managed to fuck panel up by skipping maintenance LOL

I bought the AW3423DW in January 2023

And it works fine no issues so far.

I only play one game and watch movies.

Most of the time i turn the monitor off

If im not using it.

On 4/21/2023 at 3:25 PM, Serin said:

lol good to know I have -a reputation- for burning shit into panels.
I guess my deciding to go this way back then was driven by a level of the advertising done on QDs not burning in. That and its attractive properties in terms of visual quality. I'd never gone OLED prior, so it was just bloody exciting. Besides the benefits for my work and gaming.
There was nothing I could see on the market with the same level of attraction. I'm a bit of a d*ckhead in that regard. This is the part where I point to my LG 5K2K(s).

And yep, I kind of figured it was coming after that RTINGS article.
Off to warranty land. Again.

Not to add salt to the injury, but if you look at rting previous burn-in study (which was done years ago) you have realised that OLED really isn't suitable for productivtiy environment. 

Previous OLED TV showed signs of burn-in in a matter of weeks - a couple of weeks to be specific. And the newer one managed to move that to 4 weeks which is still terrifying. And while the last year's models like C2 boasted about their much enhanced longevity with a deuterium-based panel, I wasn't completely convinced that it would be enough for prolonged desktop usage. 

I did move from LCD to OLED as well but only because I have to go back to the office and no longer use my PC for hours every day, if you still need to use your monitor for productivity regularly, it's better to just get a second LCD for the task. 

On 4/30/2023 at 12:58 AM, e22big said:

Not to add salt to the injury, but if you look at rting previous burn-in study (which was done years ago) you have realised that OLED really isn't suitable for productivtiy environment. 

Previous OLED TV showed signs of burn-in in a matter of weeks - a couple of weeks to be specific. And the newer one managed to move that to 4 weeks which is still terrifying. And while the last year's models like C2 boasted about their much enhanced longevity with a deuterium-based panel, I wasn't completely convinced that it would be enough for prolonged desktop usage. 

I did move from LCD to OLED as well but only because I have to go back to the office and no longer use my PC for hours every day, if you still need to use your monitor for productivity regularly, it's better to just get a second LCD for the task. 

Sort of depends how one defines 'suitable' though, doesn't it.
For instance, for this quality of colour repro and peak brightness, I think I'm probably ok living on the infinte merry-go-round of a 3 year burn in warranty.
And hopefully any replacement unit will come with the updated firmware that is supposed to activate the refresh modes automatically on sleep.
As per Hardware Unboxed latest follow up, I've never quite been sure whether its run once its gone to sleep.

Cheese monger.