Why is Windows so retarded? (yes mods this word is the correct description)

Spindel

So, my work issued computer is a PC laptop with Windows 10. 

A "simple" setting that I like is to have inverted scroll on the mouse wheel (or natural as Apple calls it). 

First off there is no toggle in windows that can achieve this, Logitech does not have a toggle for this in their set point software (I use a logitech mouse with the computer). Well OK I wasn't born under a rock so I go into the registry editor and find the "FlipFlopWheel" value and set it to "1" reboot (just the fact that I need to reboot the computer for the setting to take effect is so incredibly stupid) and I have my inverted scroll wheel.

This, even if you need to fiddle a bit, would be totally OK except that this setting has a tendency to not stick and the procedure needs to be redone. Things that make the setting revert to non inverted scroll are: rebooting the computer (not always only some times), installing windows updates and god for bid changing which port the mouse is plugged in to.

But here comes the real big R of windows. When the inverted scroll is set and everything seems to work as I want to I might want to change some windows setting (say display setting, or a keyboard setting, or just manually look for updates) as soon as the settings window open suddenly my inverted mouse scroll is gone, IN ALL OPEN PROGRAMS, but as soon as the settings window is closed the inverted scroll comes back (without fiddling with the registry or rebooting).

I'm just stupefied that people can tolerate to run this shit on their own computers bought by their own money. The only reason I use windows nowadays is because I have no option on my work issued hardware. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-reverse-scrolling-direction-windows-10

Basically the first result on google... so it's not hard for the average person to do. 

It's also basically never done. So not something worth optimizing. 

I can pick at OSX's GUI/UI myself. How do you screen shot? How do you toggle windows based on their position?

Getting perfection on anything invariably needs additional software... 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

5 minutes ago, cmndr said:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-reverse-scrolling-direction-windows-10

Basically the first result on google... so it's not hard for the average person to do. 

It's also basically never done. So not something worth optimizing. 

I can pick at OSX's GUI/UI myself. How do you screen shot? How do you toggle windows based on their position?

Getting perfection on anything invariably needs additional software... 

Your link just tells you to go to regedit and change flipflopwheel value, exactly the thing I said in the OP that I know how to do. My problem is that it does not stick and temporarily disables if I have certain windows windows open. It feels like you didn't read my post. 

MacOS screenshot CMD+SHIFT+3 (or CMD+SHIFT+4 for screenshot of a selection, BTW in windows you press WIN+SHIFT+S to make a screen shot of a selection (not many people seem to know this in windows)) no jumping into a config file or registry edit.

I don't even understand what you mean with toggling windows based on position so can't answer that.  

37 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Your link just tells you to go to regedit and change flipflopwheel value, exactly the thing I said in the OP that I know how to do. My problem is that it does not stick and temporarily disables if I have certain windows windows open. It feels like you didn't read my post. 

MacOS screenshot CMD+SHIFT+3 (or CMD+SHIFT+4 for screenshot of a selection, BTW in windows you press WIN+SHIFT+S to make a screen shot of a selection (not many people seem to know this in windows)) no jumping into a config file or registry edit.

I don't even understand what you mean with toggling windows based on position so can't answer that.  

In windows there is a setting to change print screen button to be selection screen shot. Just in case you didn't know.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

It's easy to change scroll direction on trackpad in windows 11 at least, but harder on mouse.

I think the reasons is that it's very uncommon to have it inverted on a mouse.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

19 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I think the reasons is that it's very uncommon to have it inverted on a mouse.

Yeah I could understand that, and as I said I know how to manually change the registry. 

BUT WHY DOESN*T THE CHAGES STICK AND I HAVE TO REDO THEM WAY TO OFTEN OR THEY SIMPLY DISSAPEAR WHEN I OPEN WINDOWS SETTINGS!

2 hours ago, Spindel said:

The only reason I use windows nowadays is because I have no option on my work issued hardware. 

So you can't, are not allowed to, change things?

If I want to do a reverse mouse scroll setting, it takes three clicks - System Settings, Mouse, Reverse scrolling settings. And it will stay that way for ever.

Typical of a non-Windows setup, it works and is easy.

What about "Create new folder"? Two clicks, a right and a left.... done.

Yes, Linux Mint again, easy, reliable, logical, simple.

4 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

You want down to be up and up to be down and you're calling windows retarded?

How do you swipe on a touch screen?

20 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Not by using a scroll wheel on a mouse that's for damn sure.

Is that actually the problem you are having? Because you describe scroll wheel direction not swiping on touchscreen, which is a different setting in windows. 

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

1 hour ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Not by using a scroll wheel on a mouse that's for damn sure.

Talk about yourselves.

On a more serious note, without having tested it on my machine, you mentioned that this is a work laptop. Could be the group policy set by your sysadmins why it won't stick. The non-uniform behavior in menus is a problem ever since Microsoft decided to not overhaul the entire UI and instead keep legacy stuff around. However, I do have to agree that you're probably better off just adapting to how everybody else is using scrolls wheels. This seems like such a non-issue to get worked up over, especially considering your use and feeble defense of that slur.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

Typical of a non-Windows setup, it works and is easy.

Tell that to my laptop running Fedora where the fingerprint sensor doesn't work and Wayland prevents things like Teams or Synergy/Barrier from working properly.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

What about "Create new folder"? Two clicks, a right and a left.... done.

So the same as Windows. Home > New folder is two clicks and ctrl+shift+N also works if you don't want to click at all. Not sure what the flex here is.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Talk about yourselves.

On a more serious note, without having tested it on my machine, you mentioned that this is a work laptop. Could be the group policy set by your sysadmins why it won't stick. The non-uniform behavior in menus is a problem ever since Microsoft decided to not overhaul the entire UI and instead keep legacy stuff around. However, I do have to agree that you're probably better off just adapting to how everybody else is using scrolls wheels. This seems like such a non-issue to get worked up over, especially considering your use and feeble defense of that slur.

Group policy setting would explain it not sticking on reboot, but not it not sticking upon changing which port the mouse is connected to.  On the other hand group policy would make this not stick on every reboot since the group policy is run on every reboot on my machine. 

And thanks to the gods that our IT is kind of crappy since I have admin credentials on my computer so I actually can change this by myself.

Non uniform menus is one thing, but as I said in the original post as soon as a window is open it changes the scroll direction in every other open program too. I would say this is a bit more than non uniform UI.  

Scroll Direction can be changed, but because Windows is designed for any hardware to support the OS, this is where things get... interesting... It is difficult for Microsoft to get every manufacture in line with something. This is also why, desktop monitors, for example, you can't adjust the screen brightness in Windows, only laptops display. The API exists in Windows, and hence why third-party programs exists. But it is a crap shoot on whether it will actually work or not, let alone be responsiveness. Reviewers don't test DDC/CI protocol support (which is the magic protocol that makes this feature supported), and so, basically manufactures don't care. Anyways, back to mouse scrolling:

Laptops who have touchpads which uses Microsoft Precision Drivers (basically, ignoring surface of trackpad, and their size, the trackpad needs to meet a minimum level of standard in requirements to be eligible to use those drivers), you'll have the option under Windows 10/11 Settings panel. Those that don't use Microsoft Precision Drivers (typically, because they are garbage ones), the option would be on the touchpad driver settings panel of the manufacturer instead.

For desktops, it would depend on your mouse software. For example, for Logitech mouse, the option is under their "Logitech Options" or "Logitech Options+" software:

1839946739_Screenshot2023-04-14110431.thumb.png.3b4be736ccdf7afa0d09d7071738a2c3.png

I don't know your mouse, but the option would be in your mouse software panel. The software needs to be installed on your system.

If this is a company computer, drop an email to your IT department, and it should be of no problem. Typically, IT has no problem installing any software that you might need that comes from a trusted source, like a well-established manufacture.

So yes, that is the downside of Windows. For many things, you need to use manufacturer software that comes included with their drivers. But also, is the strength, or it allows manufacturer to provide with much ease, unique features to its user base that the competitor don't have. They don't need to beg for Microsoft to add the option, or work with some limited API to add the option in some panel somewhere (which also open security risks, like malware having fun adding things or rerouting things)

Windows has a lot of bloat build in due to it's focus on (backward) compatibility.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Scroll Direction can be changed, but because Windows is designed for any hardware to support the OS, this is where things get... interesting... It is difficult for Microsoft to get every manufacture in line with something. This is also why, desktop monitors, for example, you can't adjust the screen brightness in Windows, only laptops display. The API exists in Windows, and hence why third-party programs exists. But it is a crap shoot on whether it will actually work or not, let alone be responsiveness. Reviewers don't test DDC/CI protocol support (which is the magic protocol that makes this feature supported), and so, basically manufactures don't care. Anyways, back to mouse scrolling:

Laptops who have touchpads which uses Microsoft Precision Drivers (basically, ignoring surface of trackpad, and their size, the trackpad needs to meet a minimum level of standard in requirements to be eligible to use those drivers), you'll have the option under Windows 10/11 Settings panel. Those that don't use Microsoft Precision Drivers (typically, because they are garbage ones), the option would be on the touchpad driver settings panel of the manufacturer instead.

For desktops, it would depend on your mouse software. For example, for Logitech mouse, the option is under their "Logitech Options" or "Logitech Options+" software:

1839946739_Screenshot2023-04-14110431.thumb.png.3b4be736ccdf7afa0d09d7071738a2c3.png

I don't know your mouse, but the option would be in your mouse software panel. The software needs to be installed on your system.

If this is a company computer, drop an email to your IT department, and it should be of no problem. Typically, IT has no problem installing any software that you might need that comes from a trusted source, like a well-established manufacture.

So yes, that is the downside of Windows. For many things, you need to use manufacturer software that comes included with their drivers. But also, is the strength, or it allows manufacturer to provide with much ease, unique features to its user base that the competitor don't have. They don't need to beg for Microsoft to add the option, or work with some limited API to add the option in some panel somewhere (which also open security risks, like malware having fun adding things or rerouting things)

Logitech options does not identify my coorded M500 

Just now, Spindel said:

I have that, does not have a toggle for inversion of the wheel 

So then, there is nothing that can be done without a third-party program which will attempt in converting the scroll direction.

Here is one: https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

You can set Wheel Up to Wheel Down, and Whell Down to Wheel Up.

The program needs to run at startup to be the middleman between your mouse and software.