I'm trying to remove password requirements on windows 10 pro and its driving me mad.

Hey guys. I'm really hoping someone can help me here because I'm about to explode from the frustration. I have windows 10 pro, 64 bit, currently version 21H2, though the problem was also on 22H2. I have a custom PC with a ryzen 5 2600 cpu, 16GB of Ram, an Rx580 gpu, and a my OS is installed on a 256GB SSD. I think this is all the information that's needed. Please let me know if there is anything else. I've included a bunch of screengrabs here: https://imgur.com/a/jagXpxE

Four days ago, after installing update 22h2. My computer gave me a prompt to change the password on my local account before I logged in. My original password was just 5 numbers. It was simple because I have young kids and wanted to maintain a bit of security while still letting them log in (the password to the admin account was and is complex and did not change, nor does it need too).

I was away for a while so today I attempted to change the password back to something simple and have been constantly stymied by the error message:

"The password you entered doesn't meet the requirements, try one that's longer or more complex".

I've been able to solve most of my tech problems by just looking up the answer and following some online instructions, so I gave it a shot. Four hours and over a dozen failed solutions later and I've all but given up. Here's the broad strokes of what I've tried.

1. Rolling back the update to 21h2 (same error message).
  2. Removing passwords altogether via netplwiz (no check box).

a) Going into regedit and changing the device password key value from 2 to 0 did not restore the box.

3. Using the command prompt to change to a simple password (same error message).

a) By leaving the password section blank and typing (C:Windows\system32>net user "user" "") I was actually able to remove the password entirely so login is automatic - but this is not ideal.

4. Going into the group policy editor and changing "password must meet complexity requirements" to "disabled" (nothing changed, same error message).

a) It was actually already disabled.

b) I did force it to update via "gpupdate/force" in the elevated command prompt and restarted my machine but there was no effect.

c) Enabling complexity requirements but setting minimum passwords length to 4 characters, enabling "Relax minimum password length limits" (nothing changed with any combination).

5. Going into the local security policy and changing "password must meet complexity requirements" to "disabled" (nothing changed, same error message).

a) This was also disabled by default.

b) I read somewhere that a domain control may overwrite group policy editor but this is a personal version of windows 10 pro and there is no domain controller.

c) I even installed the active directory administrative center to check b).

6. Trying to disable windows hello because I heard this requires password requirements it by default but windows hello wasn't enabled in the first place (nothing).

7. Logging in with a Microsoft account rather than a local account (didn't change anything)

a) I was grasping at straws by this point.

8. Needless to say I have restarted and rebooted my PC and few times during this process.

Please tell me there's something stupid I've missed. I've been unable to let this go all afternoon. I won't call it a total loss because I kinda enjoy the puzzle solving aspect of troubleshooting and I've learned a bit about my PC but now I just want it to be over.

try running compmgmt.msc in the run box. Then under local users/groups, right click on your account and reset password. This will bypass all the new password/user stuff they added in win8/10

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

try running compmgmt.msc in the run box. Then under local users/groups, right click on your account and reset password. This will bypass all the new password/user stuff they added in win8/10

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gave it a shot. I'd been scared off of this one because of the scary error message but decided to go through with it anyway. No dice, same error message.

computer management.PNG

On 4/13/2023 at 5:33 AM, Mingablo said:

Hey guys. I'm really hoping someone can help me here because I'm about to explode from the frustration. I have windows 10 pro, 64 bit, currently version 21H2, though the problem was also on 22H2. I have a custom PC with a ryzen 5 2600 cpu, 16GB of Ram, an Rx580 gpu, and a my OS is installed on a 256GB SSD. I think this is all the information that's needed. Please let me know if there is anything else. I've included a bunch of screengrabs here: https://imgur.com/a/jagXpxE

Four days ago, after installing update 22h2. My computer gave me a prompt to change the password on my local account before I logged in. My original password was just 5 numbers. It was simple because I have young kids and wanted to maintain a bit of security while still letting them log in (the password to the admin account was and is complex and did not change, nor does it need too).

I was away for a while so today I attempted to change the password back to something simple and have been constantly stymied by the error message:

"The password you entered doesn't meet the requirements, try one that's longer or more complex".

I've been able to solve most of my tech problems by just looking up the answer and following some online instructions, so I gave it a shot. Four hours and over a dozen failed solutions later and I've all but given up. Here's the broad strokes of what I've tried.

a) Going into regedit and changing the device password key value from 2 to 0 did not restore the box.

3. Using the command prompt to change to a simple password (same error message).

a) By leaving the password section blank and typing (C:Windows\system32>net user "user" "") I was actually able to remove the password entirely so login is automatic - but this is not ideal.

4. Going into the group policy editor and changing "password must meet complexity requirements" to "disabled" (nothing changed, same error message).

b) I did force it to update via "gpupdate/force" in the elevated command prompt and restarted my machine but there was no effect.

c) Enabling complexity requirements but setting minimum passwords length to 4 characters, enabling "Relax minimum password length limits" (nothing changed with any combination).

5. Going into the local security policy and changing "password must meet complexity requirements" to "disabled" (nothing changed, same error message).

b) I read somewhere that a domain control may overwrite group policy editor but this is a personal version of windows 10 pro and there is no domain controller.

6. Trying to disable windows hello because I heard this requires password requirements it by default but windows hello wasn't enabled in the first place (nothing).

7. Logging in with a Microsoft account rather than a local account (didn't change anything)

8. Needless to say I have restarted and rebooted my PC and few times during this process.

Please tell me there's something stupid I've missed. I've been unable to let this go all afternoon. I won't call it a total loss because I kinda enjoy the puzzle solving aspect of troubleshooting and I've learned a bit about my PC but now I just want it to be over.

Use a pin instead of password.

windows differentiates between passwords and pins. Passwords must be alphanumeric and pins can be just numeric.

Just make the password to something you can remember easily.

Then got to windows settings and add a pin to your account. That can be a simple number.

After you do this, you can log in to your windows using both the password or the pin.

After your lock your windows, it will always ask for the pin first. Enter the pin and you will be logged in.

You can also login to the same account using the password if you choose to but you will have to select "login using password".

Windows changed this because if you have an online account, the windows password is also your Microsoft account password and you may not be comfortable typing out your Microsoft account password everytime you want to log in incase some one looks at your password.

Using a pin instead of your password makes it safer because even if some one figures out your pin, it's very easy to change the pin and the pin cam only be used to log in to windows, nothing else unlike your password which can be used to change a lot of settings.

TLDR: ITS A SECURITY FEATURE IMPLEMENTED BY MICROSOFT. JUST CREATE A PIN.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft Linked accounts needs to have a password/pin/Windows Hello login. You need something is what I am saying.

That said, Microsoft does have a tool on its sites for automatically logging in:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

He has a local account, not a Microsoft linked account and he wants to keep it that way.

He does not want to auto login. He wants to have a password because he has little kids. His previous password was a 5 digit number and he wants his new password to be also a simple number.

But when he tries to create a simple numeric password like before he gets an error saying his password is too simple and needs to be more complex.

There is no way around it. He has to create a complex password like Windows wants, but then he can create a simple numeric pin ans use that to login just like he did before. But the password has to be stronger.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:03 PM, Mingablo said:

Does your kids type in the password themselves when they login, or do you type it in for them. They type it by themselves, just write it on a post it note and stick it by the monitor so they can see it. Type it for them, use a name of something, mix that with some numbers to meet Windows complex password requirement, and yet it’ll still be simple.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list