Learning Code

TheNinjaNextDor

My school started having a class do Code.org, which is block coding if you didn't know, I finished the whole thing in a couple hours, but I want to learn actual, non block based coding and I think Java might be good to start with, I don't know. I'm just wondering what I should learn and where. I'll likely be taking a course at UC Irvine for C (and robotics :D ). Thanks.

My school started having a class do Code.org, which is block coding if you didn't know, I finished the whole thing in a couple hours, but I want to learn actual, non block based coding and I think Java might be good to start with, I don't know. I'm just wondering what I should learn and where. I'll likely be taking a course at UC Irvine for C (and robotics :D ). Thanks.

What do you want to make?

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Java is a good place to start. I'm currently learning it using Greenfoot. I find it pretty easy and very quick to pick up.

I don't really know, maybe a mod fot a game or something. I mostly just want to know how to do it.

If you are thinking about doing Java and want to make a mod, then get Minecraft and try and mod that a bit, I know loads of people that started learning code and playing around with it by making mods for minecraft.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I found Khan Academy too, thoughts on that?

That's good for maths, which is in turn a must for proper games programming.

Pathfinding, movement, physics all require maths

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Try this http://www.codecademy.com/ I'm learning java though it. They also do python its really good ground work for learning they dont just pass you though you actually have to apply your skills you learned to keep going. Or finish you can skip forward but it will want you to go back.

Try this http://www.codecademy.com/ I'm learning java though it. They also do python its really good ground work for learning they dont just pass you though you actually have to apply your skills you learned to keep going. Or finish you can skip forward but it will want you to go back.

Oh yeah! My mom found that while looking through the UCI website. I completely forgot, thanks.

Code Academy 

C, C++ and Java are still some of the most used programming languages today so there's that as benefit of learning those, you might end up using them in real life applications.

Recently I had to learn Ruby for my job, I thought it was a pretty interesting one, pretty simple and if you get the chance you could do it within a virtual machine running Ubuntu. That way you get exposure with different operating systems and technologies used :)

Here's a free and very good book not just for Ruby but basic programming concepts which I feel covers a lot of what beginners need: https://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

If you wan't to practice what you learned as far as java you could make a MC mod. 

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Haskell. It's the future of programming.

High-level syntax with garbage collection, functional purity, and beautifully organized code.

And on top of all of this, it compiles to NATIVE CODE thanks to the brilliant GHC compiler. 

It makes reusable parts *up to* 10x as often as OOP languages do, it's incredibly pure, makes code easier to maintain, and only runs slightly slower than C. The best resources for it are also free, http://learnyouahaskell.com/  http://book.realworldhaskell.org/ , the latter of which is a legit O'Reilly coding textbook for free online released by the authors.

If you're not ready to jump straight into pure hardcore functional Haskell like I was, then you could start off with Racket which is an educational version of Scheme which is an educational version of Common LISP.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /