Need to buy a Smart phone

Gurkirat Kang

I need to buy a Smartphone for someone, and I can’t decide which one. I have a budget of $500 and would prefer screen size around 6”. 

I would much appreciate that

More info would be helpful.

Does it have to be new or can it be used?

Do they prefer android or ios?

Are there certain features that they would like to have?

Redmis from Xiaomi could be an option... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

8 hours ago, Gurkirat Kang said:

I need to buy a Smartphone for someone, and I can’t decide which one. I have a budget of $500 and would prefer screen size around 6”. 

the samsung a54, xiaomi redmi series, asus zenfone series, refurbished iphone 12/11, samsung a44, refurbed s22, refurbed s21 ultra

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

10 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

More info would be helpful.

Does it have to be new or can it be used?

Do they prefer android or ios?

Are there certain features that they would like to have?

I prefer new and Android system is much better. It doesn't have to be anything crazy fast or super nice camera. I was looking into Samsung A series phones, you think that would be good?

1 hour ago, Gurkirat Kang said:

I was looking into Samsung A series phones, you think that would be good?

In my limited experience with those (I used to use an A50, my siblings have A71, I think, a friend of mine has an A51), they're pretty solid phones.

I don't have any experience with the A0#, A1#, A2#, and A3#, but the A5# and A7# were good last I checked.

3 hours ago, filpo said:

the samsung a54, xiaomi redmi series, asus zenfone series, refurbished iphone 12/11, samsung a44, refurbed s22, refurbed s21 ultra

thank you so much

11 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

In my limited experience with those (I used to use an A50, my siblings have A71, I think, a friend of mine has an A51), they're pretty solid phones.

I don't have any experience with the A0#, A1#, A2#, and A3#, but the A5# and A7# were good last I checked.

I was looking at A53 G and it looks pretty solid phone

• 1 month later...

Google Pixel phones offer five years of software updates vs samsung's four, but you will not get an sd card.  So if you want an sd card for storage backup, find another model that does.

Sony is a good choice as it has a lot of screen size options, and can unlock the bootloader and install LineageOS, which is actually more secure because you can theoretically get more software support than five years from Google or four from samsung.

This allows you to keep the device that has the hardware that suits your need, and keep it longer instead of replacing it every few years, which is unbelievable that we still do.

Since 2007, phones have just about stagnated or gotten worse for long-term reliablility, and everyonne just plays along.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

If you're willing to wait a few months the Pixel 7a is 6.1" and $499 (great camera and oled too from my understanding). I've had both the Pixel 3 and 5 which have been two of the best phones I've ever had.

On 4/9/2023 at 4:50 PM, Gurkirat Kang said:

I was looking at A53 G and it looks pretty solid phone

look at the pixel 7a/6a both good phones with amazing software for their low end camera hardware so you could argue their pictures look as good as an Iphone 13s or 13 pros photos

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

On 4/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, Gurkirat Kang said:

Which country do you live in?

If the US, I'd say either a Pixel 7a or Galaxy A54. The Pixel has better photography and will have faster OS updates, while the Galaxy A54 will have longer-term OS updates and a larger, faster display.

Despite what E-waste says, never buy a phone assuming you can extend its life using unofficial firmware. You're depending on sustained interest from a community that has no obligation to support your hardware. You might get a few extra years out of a Sony device.. or you might get none. Think of it more as a bonus you can explore if you want to keep using your phone for more than a few years. And don't forget, you'll likely still have to replace the battery (if possible) even if the software is up to date.