URGENT: Very slow copy/paste speed from two NVME's, check the images, what's happening??

Go to solution Solved by tikker,

It looks like you are trying to copy hundreds of thousands of files? That can introduce (a lot of) overhead and as such copy speeds will generally be more erratic, moreso if it is many small files. If you want to take maximum advantage of the fast drive speeds it is beneficial to copy large files or archives instead of folders with many small files.

Hi, 

I bought a new Samsung 980 Pro 2 Tb (last firmware), I dont know why the speed transfer (copy paste) is so wierd, like going from 200 Ko/s to 2.5Gb/s, as you can see, most of the time it's between 10 and 15 Mo/s, not overheating (55°). This is driving me crasy. Look at those Read and Write speeds from Samsung Magician (Capture 2)

My second NVME is a Corsair MP600 1 Tb, I did set it to GEN 3 in the bios, second slot on mobo. Updated processor chipset on mobo. Downloaded Samsung Magician, driver are up to date (about the Samsung nvme's failing).

Here's my pc parts:

3950x

Asus Tuf X570

MSI Rtx 4090 Gaming Trio

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2To + Corsair MP600 1To + Seagate Barracuda 2To + Western Digital 8 To

PSU: MSI 1000W

Any idea of what's happening? I really need to fix this, so much work to do.

Sorry If i missed something, it's been 24h and still awake, my brain is not working correctly, i'm going to sleep now 'ill be back tomorrow.

Capture.PNG

CrystalDiskMark_20230407143916.png

Capture 2.PNG

It looks like you are trying to copy hundreds of thousands of files? That can introduce (a lot of) overhead and as such copy speeds will generally be more erratic, moreso if it is many small files. If you want to take maximum advantage of the fast drive speeds it is beneficial to copy large files or archives instead of folders with many small files.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Your IOPS are abnormally high because you got RAPID mode enabled, which does nothing but to skew benchmarks. There is also nothing wrong here as you are simply copying way too many individual files.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Make a  zip / 7z arhive of that folder - use ultrafast or no compression, doesn't matter, just 7z the folder and then copy the archive over and unpack it. It will be faster. 

7-zip is better because it's multithreaded, the SSD can read lots of stuff in parallel to speed things up.

When you use 7-zip it reads multiple files in parallel and creates the archive, so the data is read super fast. Same for unpacking. 

When you use copy in windows, it  opens a file, copies chunk of it, waits until it gets confirmation the data is written, closes the created file on the destination drive, then starts working on second file and so on... 

Your antivirus may also scan each file Explorer accesses in the background, slowing it down. 

Or install TeraCopy or one of the faster (but with uglier, less intuitive interface) programs to copy such folders between drives  listed here (old page, but has good recommendations) https://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-file-copy-software-tested-for-fastest-transfer-speed/2/

There's a chart at the bottom. 

TeraCopy works fine but not the fastest, FastCopy works fine, same for ExtremeCopy 

and Unstoppable Copier is a great tool to have around if you need to grab some data off some DVDs or CDs with hard to read sectors, it has options to keep trying and skip sectors but continue reading the file (for things like mp3 files or a video, an unreadable sector can mean a small audio or video glitch but still playable)  

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

TeraCopy works fine but not the fastest, FastCopy works fine, same for ExtremeCopy 

and Unstoppable Copier

Man the names of these softwares are really something huh.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Make a  zip / 7z arhive of that folder - use ultrafast or no compression, doesn't matter, just 7z the folder and then copy the archive over and unpack it. It will be faster. 

7-zip is better because it's multithreaded, the SSD can read lots of stuff in parallel to speed things up.

When you use 7-zip it reads multiple files in parallel and creates the archive, so the data is read super fast. Same for unpacking. 

When you use copy in windows, it  opens a file, copies chunk of it, waits until it gets confirmation the data is written, closes the created file on the destination drive, then starts working on second file and so on... 

Your antivirus may also scan each file Explorer accesses in the background, slowing it down. 

5 hours ago, Levent said:

Your IOPS are abnormally high because you got RAPID mode enabled, which does nothing but to skew benchmarks. There is also nothing wrong here as you are simply copying way too many individual files.

5 hours ago, tikker said:

Waw, thank you so much for these informations, I never knew about this!

Let me try to 7zip the Folder I was testing with and i'll be back, thank you so much for your help

and that defenately worked! Thank you so much y'all !!!

5 hours ago, tikker said:

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Or install TeraCopy or one of the faster (but with uglier, less intuitive interface) programs to copy such folders between drives  listed here (old page, but has good recommendations) https://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-file-copy-software-tested-for-fastest-transfer-speed/2/

There's a chart at the bottom. 

and Unstoppable Copier is a great tool to have around if you need to grab some data off some DVDs or CDs with hard to read sectors, it has options to keep trying and skip sectors but continue reading the file (for things like mp3 files or a video, an unreadable sector can mean a small audio or video glitch but still playable)  

5 hours ago, Levent said:

6 minutes ago, Fracteller said:

Waw, thank you so much for these informations, I never knew about this!

Let me try to 7zip the Folder I was testing with and i'll be back, thank you so much for your help

(no longer needed, problem solved)