Needing recommendations and advice for first time network setup/upgrade

MatthewSH

If this should be in new builds / planning, sorry about that!

I'm looking to dip my toes in the water of networking a bit. I'm a software engineer by day but hardware has always been my weaker spot. Now I'm not going to go full force into networking and go for all certifications but I would like to get a better knowledge about it for home use.

My main reason for wanting to upgrade my home networking game is because I'm tired of ISP provided modem/switch/wireless router combinations. They always suck (I'm on Cox right now), they feel super fragile, etc. I would also like something that I could just take and hook up to a new network at a new place and not have to reconnect all my stuff to a brand new network. That's my main frustration. Past that, I would like to separate a few things. My IoT devices and my Jellyfin server I want on it's own VLAN and my main network for all my devices. Maybe another VLAN for security cameras that I have.

I know I see a lot of people getting something like a PfSense firewall with Unifi switches and APs but I also see a lot of people who don't like UI for multitude of reasons (and honestly I'm not sure why, they seem fine?)

I'm looking for some recommendations on what I should get to start out and things I need to actually get, if that makes sense. Cost wise, I'm not really limited to a budget per-say, but I don't want to spend like 10k on something either. I'm willing to spend up to around 1k with a few hundred wiggle room, but if I don't need that much then I'm fine. I was looking to maybe throw this all in a server rack to make moving it easier as I rent. Not sure what size I need, I was thinking maybe a 6U? Something that I can grow with more and has space for me to throw other racks in (I want to build a rack NAS)

Anyway, appreciate any advice. Thank you all 🙂

54 minutes ago, MatthewSH said:

I'm looking for some recommendations on what I should get to start out

Cox is a cable provider so you need a Docsis cable modem if you no longer want to use their equipment. They might have a list of compatible modems on their website. Modem wise will depend on what speeds you need. Docsis 3.1 is the current standard BUT the early 3.1 modems only do Gigabit speeds, anything more you are looking at more expensive 3.1 modems with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports. Bear in mind that a standard Docsis cable modem will only covert the Coax to an Ethernet connection, you will need a router connected if you want internet on multiple devices as a standard modem has no router functions. 

Router wise I cant really help because VLAN's are a bit outside my wheel house. But I will say this, make sure you get a router with a strong enough SOC, as that will be the limiting factor on how fast of an internet connection the router can support. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

There's a good chance your Cox-provided gateway can be configured (either by you or by a Cox customer service person) to act just as a modem, allowing you to take care of your own routing/switching. 

Some people might have their issues with Ubiquiti gear, but my two cents - they have some of the best bang-for-your-buck on access points, and if you are looking for a nice balance of simplicity (nice UI, single "pane" management interface for all equipment) and configurability (such as doing what you're hoping to do), their routing/switching solutions are pretty darn good too. A UniFi Dream Machine Pro SE plus a couple access points gets you exactly what you're after. Yes, a pfsense box would be more configurable (and probably cheaper if you've got a spare decent PC around), and yes, Ubiquiti's support can be pretty bad, but IMO it's the easiest way to get into something good.

Haters can hate. I love Ubiquiti...some of it. Their AP's and especially Edge routers are absurd bang per buck. POE switches are solid, but the main advantage is the single pane of glass mgmt - for free. A lot of "network engineers" (air quotes, because they aren't really network engineers because they aren't engineering anything) don't like Ubiquiti because it's not expensive and doesn't allow them to embellish their next to worthless Cisco certs.

That said, Ubiquiti is usually not the first choice for the solution here. Integrated routers / wifi isn't their thing. Next, firewalls aren't really a thing for home users unless they really know how to use them. No difference in security between a good one and a bad one because they don't by default work at layer to mitigate threats that plague most home users.

Please don't get a modem / router / wifi combo. Router and wifi is ok, but get a separate modem. 

1 hour ago, seanondemand said:

There's a good chance your Cox-provided gateway can be configured (either by you or by a Cox customer service person) to act just as a modem, allowing you to take care of your own routing/switching. 

So my router has something called Bridge Mode. I think this will work for this. Maybe I can talk them into giving me a pure modem only but I highly doubt they have those on hand.

Reading through the other responses, seems like Ubiquiti is a solid starter choice. I guess for me now I just need to figure out the right equipment list. My other issue is where would I put the AP? I guess I could put it on the wall beside the rack maybe? Or on the shelf. I just rent so my space and how much I do is limited.

Here's what I'm kinda thinking:

Now the only thing I'll need to decide on for equipment is cable. I do have just a spool of Cat 5e cable but it's kinda clunky. I could always just order some Cat 6 or Cat 6a as needed in the lengths I need.

Thoughts on that equipment list? Think I need anything else or is this a good starting point? As for the multiple VLANs, I'm guessing this is possible with this setup too? I don't think I'd need multiple APs for that? I have like 1k sqft. I don't have that much space  I need to cover.

10 hours ago, MatthewSH said:

So my router has something called Bridge Mode. I think this will work for this. Maybe I can talk them into giving me a pure modem only but I highly doubt they have those on hand.

Reading through the other responses, seems like Ubiquiti is a solid starter choice. I guess for me now I just need to figure out the right equipment list. My other issue is where would I put the AP? I guess I could put it on the wall beside the rack maybe? Or on the shelf. I just rent so my space and how much I do is limited.

Here's what I'm kinda thinking:

Now the only thing I'll need to decide on for equipment is cable. I do have just a spool of Cat 5e cable but it's kinda clunky. I could always just order some Cat 6 or Cat 6a as needed in the lengths I need.

Thoughts on that equipment list? Think I need anything else or is this a good starting point? As for the multiple VLANs, I'm guessing this is possible with this setup too? I don't think I'd need multiple APs for that? I have like 1k sqft. I don't have that much space  I need to cover.

Bridge mode is also how my isp referred to it, I couldn’t set it myself though, I had to get a rep to do it on the phone. No biggie. 

you might also consider a patch panel just to make your setup look clean but that’s not required. As far as cable choice, your cat5e would work for you today but if you’re going to go through the trouble of running some cable through the wall, I’d get a cat6 cable just to make sure you would be able to get a 10gbit connection going later. 

One nice thing about the ubiquiti is that because of their ubiquity there’s lots of good info out there about figuring out how to do things like your vlans: https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/unifi-vlan-configuration/

19 hours ago, seanondemand said:

BUT there is a chance the OP is paying a rental fee. Comcast currently charges like $15/month to rent equipment, thats $180 a year. Some of the best Docsis 3.1 cable modems cost around that and will last for years and years. So you end up saving in the long run. Just something to think about. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

BUT there is a chance the OP is paying a rental fee. Comcast currently charges like $15/month to rent equipment, thats $180 a year. Some of the best Docsis 3.1 cable modems cost around that and will last for years and years. So you end up saving in the long run. Just something to think about. 

That is very fair. I pay like $5 a month extra for rental but honestly there's so many extra charges I'm paying right now...I don't mind paying for a few more months while I let it bake in.

you mentioned there may be a list. Do you have any links? I don't mind googling but if there's a more reputable or thorough list I wouldn't mind reading through that either.

1 hour ago, MatthewSH said:

That is very fair. I pay like $5 a month extra for rental but honestly there's so many extra charges I'm paying right now...I don't mind paying for a few more months while I let it bake in.

you mentioned there may be a list. Do you have any links? I don't mind googling but if there's a more reputable or thorough list I wouldn't mind reading through that either.

The list would be on your provider’s website. I just know Comcast has an interactive list where you can see what retail modems are available for the speed tier you subscribe to. Every provider is different if they provide a list or not.