LG C2 ASBL in dark HDR scenes

mjkopri

Hey all,

last week I was watching Game of Thrones on my C2 77" and there was a darker scene that lasted a few minutes. After 2-3 Minutes the picture started to become darker and darker until it went so dark that I couldn't recognize anything anymore. As soon as a brighter scene starts you can see how the panel brightness boosts right up and everything looks normal again. The brightness increases also when I press any button on the remote or shake it.

I googled this and found out that it's a problem with the asbl kicking in during darker HDR scenes on LG TVs (except for the 2023 models that have been fixed with the latest update). I wonder why so few people are mentioning this in their reviews...

The only solution I know (except for disabling asbl in the service menu) is to shake the remote every few minutes - great feature for a TV that costed me over 2000 € 🤦‍♂️

Do any of you guys have some other suggestions of things I could try besides disabling Energy saving and AI Picture enhancements?

Thanks! ✌️

I mean, sounds like a pretty rare edge case, and that the workarounds have already been settled (energy saving/ai enhancement), so at this point you're probably just waiting for a firmware update from LG if you don't want to do those.

Yeah, it looks like it...😐

I just saw this video - the first problem, that is exactly what is happening:

4 hours ago, mjkopri said:

Hey all,

last week I was watching Game of Thrones on my C2 77" and there was a darker scene that lasted a few minutes. After 2-3 Minutes the picture started to become darker and darker until it went so dark that I couldn't recognize anything anymore. As soon as a brighter scene starts you can see how the panel brightness boosts right up and everything looks normal again. The brightness increases also when I press any button on the remote or shake it.

I googled this and found out that it's a problem with the asbl kicking in during darker HDR scenes on LG TVs (except for the 2023 models that have been fixed with the latest update). I wonder why so few people are mentioning this in their reviews...

The only solution I know (except for disabling asbl in the service menu) is to shake the remote every few minutes - great feature for a TV that costed me over 2000 € 🤦‍♂️

Do any of you guys have some other suggestions of things I could try besides disabling Energy saving and AI Picture enhancements?

Thanks! ✌️

lg came out with a firmware to fix this (firmware 03.10.19).....you need to update your tv

That is not for the 2022 TVs. My TV has the firmware version 3.30.67. They only patched the 2023 TVs..

19 minutes ago, mjkopri said:

That is not for the 2022 TVs. My TV has the firmware version 3.30.67. They only patched the 2023 TVs..

ok that version you have is a bad update that effects some tv's, acknowledged by LG.

so your not the only one. another update will be coming to fix it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4sJ7WSAPo

they are talking about it on avsforums also

14 hours ago, mjkopri said:

You should really disable the energy savings, auto contrast/brightness, and AI stuff anyways. Nothing worse than a display 'thinking' it knows how to adjust the image better than the DP...

9 hours ago, circeseye said:

ok that version you have is a bad update that effects some tv's, acknowledged by LG.

so your not the only one. another update will be coming to fix it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4sJ7WSAPo

they are talking about it on avsforums also

Thanks for this information. Hopefully they are releasing an update to fix this soon. 

A short update: I've talked to the LG Support (Germany) and they don't know anything about this problem. Their advice: I should reset my TV. (which I've already done)

So I guess I and all the others reporting are just hallucinating 😆

• 2 weeks later...

My 42" C2 had the same behavior. I decided to just disable this auto dimming feature in the service menu, as it was more distracting in my PC monitor use case. My C9 also does this auto-dimming, but so far i haven't found any real world content where this was actually noticeable.

I'd recommend to disable energy saving and AI picture settings. That should get rid of most of that behaviour.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 3 months later...

Hello, just an update: Finally with the newest firmware release 03.33.65 the issue has been fixed by LG. 🙂