Keeping or getting rid of 3070 because of low vram?

noonie94

I’m strongly considering getting rid of my 3070 8gb. Due to all the issues with it not having enough vram and seeing everyone else online debating on if this card is going to last 3 more years. When I first built my pc in August, I had a 3060 12gb oc. A couple of months later, I sold it and brought a 3070 (brought both used on eBay). In hindsight, it kinda of feels stupid, because I had better vram but a slightly less powerful gpu. I didn’t think about the vram. Now I’m playing at 1440p, I don’t have my textures on high but I’m having issues. I feel like if I wait to get rid of this card, I’ll get barely anything for it. If I move up to a 3080 it has to be used because getting for $1k new is crazy. So that mean you have to buy a 4070ti to get a card that doesn’t cost over a thousand. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Yes there’s AMD cards, but I heard Nvidia is better for streaming and video editing which I plan to do eventually

#firstworldproblems.

I'd just buy the latest and greatest NVIDIA gpu in the market currently - the RTX 4090. In this way, there'd be absolutely no buyer's remorse knowing it's the best Team Green has to offer until the Ti version comes out, then the 5090, 5090 Ti etc. As for my wallet, well that's another story...

23 minutes ago, noonie94 said:

I’m strongly considering getting rid of my 3070 8gb. Due to all the issues with it not having enough vram and seeing everyone else online debating on if this card is going to last 3 more years. When I first built my pc in August, I had a 3060 12gb oc. A couple of months later, I sold it and brought a 3070 (brought both used on eBay). In hindsight, it kinda of feels stupid, because I had better vram but a slightly less powerful gpu. I didn’t think about the vram. Now I’m playing at 1440p, I don’t have my textures on high but I’m having issues. I feel like if I wait to get rid of this card, I’ll get barely anything for it. If I move up to a 3080 it has to be used because getting for $1k new is crazy. So that mean you have to buy a 4070ti to get a card that doesn’t cost over a thousand. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Yes there’s AMD cards, but I heard Nvidia is better for streaming and video editing which I plan to do eventually

If you are considering under 1000 gpus u can get the 7900 xt(x) too

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

I mean, for now only a handful of games actually need a load of VRAM, such as Diablo 4 and TLOU. If you intend to play the latest games in the future, then maybe a GPU upgrade would be good, but wait until you actually need it.

And honestly, I feel so lucky that I picked 6800 XT instead of 3070 Ti at the time of my purchase, boy that was a great decision.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

21 minutes ago, noonie94 said:

Unless you plan to go 4k , I'd say you're fine.

If you plan to go 4k, then you'll need something like 4090, or atleast 4080, unless you are willing to switch to AMD.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I am not sure what you are playing but I just switched from 1080P to 1440P-UW and I haven’t had any issues with abnormal VRAM usage other than in TLOU1 which I promptly refunded because it was a shit port that didn’t deserve its money. I am happily keeping my 3070 for a while ☺️

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

20 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

If you plan to go 4k, then you'll need something like 4090, or atleast 4080, unless you are willing to switch to AMD.

Probably won’t be going to 4k for at least 3-4 years. I just bought my 1440p monitor lol. And I’m considering AMD, still debating on keeping, selling, or switching. I was fine with my card until it keep doing it during RDR2 the past 2 months

20 hours ago, Levent said:

I am not sure what you are playing but I just switched from 1080P to 1440P-UW and I haven’t had any issues with abnormal VRAM usage other than in TLOU1 which I promptly refunded because it was a shit port that didn’t deserve its money. I am happily keeping my 3070 for a while ☺️

RDR2. It started doing 2 months ago. Before then I had no problems. That’s why I’m afraid if I start buying more triple A titles then I might have a problem. If I wanted to upgrade anything in my rig, it would be my cpu in a couple of years

20 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I mean, for now only a handful of games actually need a load of VRAM, such as Diablo 4 and TLOU. If you intend to play the latest games in the future, then maybe a GPU upgrade would be good, but wait until you actually need it.

And honestly, I feel so lucky that I picked 6800 XT instead of 3070 Ti at the time of my purchase, boy that was a great decision.

Yeah you made a good decision. I might wait until I actually need it, I’m just afraid that if I wait no one would want this gpu when I try to sell it because of the small amount of vram

21 hours ago, aisle9 said:

image.png.1d1ca0bcbdc0a9da9e4a72b0129d0fa3.png

Can you do a graphic on trying to sell a gpu. Just want to cover all options lol

10 minutes ago, noonie94 said:

RDR2. It started doing 2 months ago. Before then I had no problems. That’s why I’m afraid if I start buying more triple A titles then I might have a problem. If I wanted to upgrade anything in my rig, it would be my cpu in a couple of years

RDR2 been played way before RTX30 series, if there wasn't a problem caused by lack of vram then (on 1440p resolution), there shouldn't be now.

Maybe you should try looking for the probable cause of the problem with your RDR.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I say sell now when the price is still high-ish before AMD/Nvidia drop the midrange soon. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 Gb VRAM is more than enough for 1080-1440p  gaming until you not stupid enough too play "Ultra" that have almost no visual diference but have massive preformance lose. Just always use DLSS and High settings and you will not have any problem with 8 Gb VRAM. You always can try Ultra if it run keep if not set High and problem solved chasing Ultra settings is very stupid and that settings is worthless.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:03 PM, Dukesilver27- said:

Harry Potter and Resident Evil 4 Remake need it at 1440p. At this point I think it's fair to call it a trend that 8GB isn't enough anymore for 1440p.

I'd sell it before the bottom falls out on its value and buy an RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, or RX 7900 XT. I think it's a waste to talk yourself into a worse Nvidia gpu just for something you don't even do yet. I don't know what anyone ever sees in the RTX 3060 Ti / 3070 / 3070 Ti. Wouldn't touch any Nvidia gpu lower than the 4080 these days after we have seen so many recent releases that use a ton of VRAM, eg Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil 4 Remake, and The Last of Us Part 1. That's 4 of the 5 or 6 biggest PC releases this year. Even 12GB I'm not sure I'd be buying these days when I see TLOU Part 1 using up most of my VRAM buffer on my 12GB RX 6700 XT.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, noonie94 said:

Can you do a graphic on trying to sell a gpu. Just want to cover all options lol

image.png.6310ead23571a0cd692fbf5cb39db243.png

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Unless YOU are experiencing issues, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. All the talk about 8gb being insufficient is more directed at new buyers. 

You don't want spend big on a model that is likely soon to be suboptimal, but if you already have it and it works, well... It works... And keeping using it cost nothing. Wait upgrading until using it becomes inadequate. 

You can compare it to the AK47. 

An old piece of hardware, and no modern army would aim to buy them for their troops for the next upgrade. 

Does not mean that bullets suddenly stop coming out of them because the new thing is on the market. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

On 4/5/2023 at 8:37 PM, aisle9 said:

image.png.6310ead23571a0cd692fbf5cb39db243.png

You’re a gem. And people definitely be doing that on Facebook lol

On 4/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, Poinkachu said:

I'd suggest you check out some newer game concerning VRAM usage. There's a game or two that even at 1080P at max setting + RT, 8GB VRAM isn't enough (recall seeing a game benchmark where an RTX 3060 12GB actually trumps an RTX 3080 10GB because of VRAM, this was on TPU, NOT some random YT channel). So, if we don't wanna talk about 4K, then even 1440P would be an issue with 8GB card, and yes, DLSS can mitigate the VRAM conundrum but there's only so much DLSS can do.

VRAM is one of the reasons why AMD 16GB cards, like the RX 6800/6800 XT/6900 XT/6950 XT have aged much better than their direct nVidia counterparts. An RTX 3070 Ti is a powerful card, and I'd compare it to the RX 6800/6800 XT (which are probably cheaper than the RTX 3070 Ti), yet its performance is kneecapped by nVidia, they chose to allot just 8GB of VRAM when it's capable of more. This is the reason why an RTX 3080 Ti 12GB, let alone the RTX 3080 10GB, are showing their limitations earlier. 

That's why, I put it to you, that the RTX 4070 Ti/4070 is still nVidia continuing it practice of shortchanging its customers, these are powerful cards that can do with more VRAM

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2