Prusa MK4 Announced

TylerD321

Summary

Prusa announced their new 3-D Printer Model today - the MK4. This new model boasts many improvements as compared to the MK3 model. It offers many exciting new features such as no first layer calibration (due to a Load Cell sensor), quick swap nozzles, decreased printing time, and automatic filament loading. There is an optional addon which will allow printing with up to five different colors/materials at the same time! This new model of printer seems to have all of the best features of the MK3 and Mini+, along with many more features that make this printer a massive improvement to either.

mk4.png

Quotes

"I usually start these announcements with a bit of a backstory and some broader description. Allow me to skip all that today and give you a quick rundown of the main features of the new MK4: it’s built around our new 32bit connected architecture, it has the next-generation extruder (Nextruder), it lays down a perfectly smooth first layer every time without Live Adjust Z and it has support for high-speed printing with Input Shaper and Pressure Advance. We also improved the safety features even further. Plus, there are a ton of useful things, such as quick-swap nozzles, built-in support for remote printing and webcams, and many more. And it’s still beautifully quiet." - Josef Průša

To hit the major points quickly, this newest machine boasts:

• A new 32 bit main board
  • updated Nextruder
  • Input Shaper
  • Pressure Advance
  • quick swap nozzles
  • remote printing
  • higher precision stepper motors

My thoughts

To me, this new model is extremely exciting. I really enjoy some of the UI changes on the new screen - especially the progress bar. Another neat thing about the UI is the ability to modify it to your liking, only showing the things that are important to you. I would consider the best feature of the MK4 to be that there is no required first layer calibration. This greatly simplifies the set up process and should allow people to get into 3-D printing without some of the hassle of the other models. This post only covers what I consider to be the most exciting aspects of the MK4, feel free to look through the sources and video for more information.

Sources

https://makezine.com/article/digital-fabrication/3d-printing-workshop/prusa-announces-new-flagship-3d-printer-the-mark-4/

https://blog.prusa3d.com/announcing-original-prusa-mk4_76585/

https://blog.prusa3d.com/the-state-of-open-source-in-3d-printing-in-2023_76659/

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-mk4-2/#samples

As @Wardus pointed out, the LTT screwdriver made an appearance in the announcement video at 2:50 in.

ltt screwdriver.png

Edited by TylerD321
Added LTT Screw Driver

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

6 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Summary

Prusa announced their new 3-D Printer Model today - the MK4. This new model boasts many improvements as compared to the MK3 model. It offers many exciting new features such as no first layer calibration (due to a Load Cell sensor), quick swap nozzles, decreased printing time, and automatic filament loading. There is an optional addon which will allow printing with up to five different colors/materials at the same time! This new model of printer seems to have all of the best features of the MK3 and Mini+, along with many more features that make this printer a massive improvement to either.

mk4.png

Quotes

My thoughts

To me, this new model is extremely exciting. I really enjoy some of the UI changes on the new screen - especially the progress bar. Another neat thing about the UI is the ability to modify the UI to your liking, only showing the things that are important to you. I would consider the best feature of the MK4 to be that there is no required first layer calibration. This greatly simplifies the set up process and should allow people to get into 3-D printing without some of the hassle of the other models. This post only covers what I consider to be the most exciting aspects of the MK4, feel free to look through the sources and video for more information.

Sources

https://makezine.com/article/digital-fabrication/3d-printing-workshop/prusa-announces-new-flagship-3d-printer-the-mark-4/

https://blog.prusa3d.com/announcing-original-prusa-mk4_76585/

https://blog.prusa3d.com/the-state-of-open-source-in-3d-printing-in-2023_76659/

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-mk4-2/#samples

My favorite part is the LTT screwdriver they used a couple minutes in.

I try to be respectful. If I ever come off in a different manner, I probably don't mean to. If I don't help you sorry, if I do, mark my comment as the solution. 

is it using a Revo hotend or have they come up with their own hot swap crap?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Wardus said:

My favorite part is the LTT screwdriver they used a couple minutes in.

Good catch, I didn't even notice that at first! I will throw that in the post.

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

is it using a Revo hotend or have they come up with their own hot swap crap?

Appears to be proprietary.

One of the most important parts is the large aluminum heatsink which doubles as the body of the Nextruder. Two quick-release thumbscrews on the side of the body hold the nozzle in place. This time, we’re using special nozzles with an all-metal filament guide. This means that the entire path of the filament through the Nextruder is all-metal, no PTFE tubes anywhere. This improves the overall reliability of the printer and makes changing nozzles much faster. If you have your favorite V6-compatible nozzles, no worries – we’re offering a simple Nextruder-to-V6 adapter. Once you install it, you can use any V6-compatible nozzle including hardened and high-flow models. We’re, of course, offering a range of various nozzles (from 0.25 to 0.8) in our e-shop with more models coming later.

hotswap.jpg

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Gonna stick with BambuLab being my next printer at this rate. Quick swapping Nozzles is nice but it's not hard to do on most printers, and everything else feels underwhelming for the price. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

2 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

Good catch, I didn't even notice that at first! I will throw that in the post.

Appears to be proprietary.

hotswap.jpg

.... At least its somewhat compatible with the V6 ecosystem I guess...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

the MK4

Money Wallet GIF - Money Wallet Broke GIFs

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

For the price it will end up being >$1000, the fact it is still a bedsliger doesn't make sense anymore. They have a corexy in the XL and really should be leaning on that design more since there is a hard limit for how fast you can sling a bed around.

They're already outpriced for similar print quality and material compatibility with Creality printers.

Were left in the dust for speed by Bambu and Voron at similar prices.

First layer calibration is nice and all but when you are spending over a grand for a printer, you already should have an idea how to get a good first layer or will pick it up quickly since it's not hard to do.

5 colour changer is pretty good, if there weren't already tool changer printers giving you even more options like changing colour without a purge tower, using multi material prints with different nozzle sizes (that one gets into pro gear but it's already out there)

Bottom line, if you really want a prusa you could always get a Bambu and some noctua fans for the same price.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

For the price it will end up being >$1000, the fact it is still a bedsliger doesn't make sense anymore. They have a corexy in the XL and really should be leaning on that design more since there is a hard limit for how fast you can sling a bed around.

They're already outpriced for similar print quality and material compatibility with Creality printers.

Were left in the dust for speed by Bambu and Voron at similar prices.

First layer calibration is nice and all but when you are spending over a grand for a printer, you already should have an idea how to get a good first layer or will pick it up quickly since it's not hard to do.

5 colour changer is pretty good, if there weren't already tool changer printers giving you even more options like changing colour without a purge tower, using multi material prints with different nozzle sizes (that one gets into pro gear but it's already out there)

Bottom line, if you really want a prusa you could always get a Bambu and some noctua fans for the same price.

The attractive part are the upgrade kits, the 3.9 upgrade seems pretty nice if you already have several mk3 printers in various states of disrepair

Builds:

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The attractive part are the upgrade kits, the 3.9 upgrade seems pretty nice if you already have several mk3 printers in various states of disrepair

totally agree, if I was going from a Mk3 it's a no brainer. I'm expecting people are like me and still looking at how they launch the XL with the tool changer head since that looks like the best open air system with a large bed and how they are going to compare to the Bambu & Ender5plus being their toughest competition for speed and price respectively.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it