Should I buy a niche mechanical keyboard or a normal gaming one?

I currently have an ROG Flare and I'm not really happy with how it feels, the keys are too wobbly. I want a real mech because I don't think a new mainstream keyboard will be much better than my current one, but there aren't any that have all the features I want. Here's the list of options I have so far, all 4 mainstream ones are on display at my local Micro Center but the other 2 I don't think are available for demo anywhere. Features I want:

• Fullsize with numpad - the extra space would be nice but the numpad is really handy in some games and for unlocking the PC
  • Volume knob and media keys
  • Style
  • Good lighting that works with SignalRGB
  • USB passthrough
  • Under $200

Does the Ducky, the Keychron, or any mech board have good enough feel to justify giving up so many features?

You can get some mechanical keyboards that have most of those features, if not all of them. I know some Corsair keyboards(really want to say K70) have USB passthrough.

Keyboards, like mice, are some of the most subjective parts of a setup; there's no real "one size fits all" answer.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If you can find one, G.Skill KM70.

Style is subjective, so adding it as a requirement without providing some insight is useless.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Check out this as well.  Doesn't have the knob, but volume and all other functions are there...  solid, low noise, strong, etc.

Cherry MX Board 3.0 S Wired Mechanical Keyboard Aluminum Housing MX Red Silent Switches for Gaming and Office (amazon.com)

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 hours ago, MaxM07 said:

Under $200

You already considered Keychron V6 here, why not Keychron Q6? Theyre only 5$ extra off 200$ (especially considering you are considering the likes of Claymore 2 and Blackwidow) for an aluminum case that only needs a minor modification, gasket mounted instead of tray mounted, and also comes with proper Gateron G Pro switch options.

While we're talking Razer, id definitely avoid Blackwidow and shop for Huntsman or Deathstalker lineup instead. AFAIK its still the same horrid Greetech OEM switches that are plagued with more wobble and also inconsistent. And their RMA rates are also concerning.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

You already considered Keychron V6 here, why not Keychron Q6? Theyre only 5$ extra off 200$ (especially considering you are considering the likes of Claymore 2 and Blackwidow) for an aluminum case that only needs a minor modification, gasket mounted instead of tray mounted, and also comes with proper Gateron G Pro switch options.

While we're talking Razer, id definitely avoid Blackwidow and shop for Huntsman or Deathstalker lineup instead. AFAIK its still the same horrid Greetech OEM switches that are plagued with more wobble and also inconsistent. And their RMA rates are also concerning.

I'd probably be getting the V6 as a barebones, so I could get Gaterons if they're the best, would the Q6 still be worth $100 extra? More to the point, how much better are these kinds of boards compared to premium gaming ones? I've never used one before and there's nowhere I can demo one. 

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You can get some mechanical keyboards that have most of those features, if not all of them. I know some Corsair keyboards(really want to say K70) have USB passthrough.

Keyboards, like mice, are some of the most subjective parts of a setup; there's no real "one size fits all" answer.

Okay, so I've narrowed it down a bit:

• V6, probably with Ducky keycaps and either Gateron Pro 2 brown or Kailh Pro purple switches, unless you know of something better - ~$150, not preassembled, presumably the best feeling, still very boring looking even with new caps, not great RGB, no wristrest

• K70 - $110 right now, regular Cherry Brown switches, clean and stylish, 8000Hz polling rate - There are some Corsair keyboards with USB passthrough, but they're all older and/or more expensive

• Claymore - $230, ROG optical blue switches, really cool looking, awesome detachable numpad, USB passthrough

• Huntsman - $190, Razer Optical Purple (clicky) switches, kinda boring looking

I'll probably demo all 3 gamer ones tomorrow and make a decision between them, but that still leaves the V6. I've never used a schmancy mech board before so I don't know how different they feel. How much better would it be compared to these gamer boards? Do you think it's worth all the downsides?

7 hours ago, MaxM07 said:

Okay, so I've narrowed it down a bit:

• V6, probably with Ducky keycaps and either Gateron Pro 2 brown or Kailh Pro purple switches, unless you know of something better - ~$150, not preassembled, presumably the best feeling, still very boring looking even with new caps, not great RGB, no wristrest

• K70 - $110 right now, regular Cherry Brown switches, clean and stylish, 8000Hz polling rate - There are some Corsair keyboards with USB passthrough, but they're all older and/or more expensive

• Claymore - $230, ROG optical blue switches, really cool looking, awesome detachable numpad, USB passthrough

• Huntsman - $190, Razer Optical Purple (clicky) switches, kinda boring looking

I'll probably demo all 3 gamer ones tomorrow and make a decision between them, but that still leaves the V6. I've never used a schmancy mech board before so I don't know how different they feel. How much better would it be compared to these gamer boards? Do you think it's worth all the downsides?

I'm not much of an expert, but I'd probably narrow it down to whatever feels the nicest to type on to you, and figure out if USB passthrough is a deal-breaker. For what it's worth, the K70 is the cheapest out of your 4 options. That's not entirely something to ignore.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm not much of an expert, but I'd probably narrow it down to whatever feels the nicest to type on to you, and figure out if USB passthrough is a deal-breaker. For what it's worth, the K70 is the cheapest out of your 4 options. That's not entirely something to ignore.

That's the problem, there's nowhere to demo the V6, and I've never used a fancy board like that so I can't even guess.

I did order a set of Kailh Box V2 Browns to try out, I'll take them to Micro Center to compare them against the gamer ones when they arrive. 

Worst case scenario I buy the board, don't like it, and either return it or give it to my dad. 

As for the K70, it is deeply disconnected right now and that might be over by the time I decide, but it is still the 1st or 2nd cheapest one at normal price. I worry about how wobbly the keys are because my current board has Cherry Browns and it's not so great, but we'll see about that on Friday. 

12 hours ago, MaxM07 said:

I'd probably be getting the V6 as a barebones, so I could get Gaterons if they're the best

Yeah but then you gonna spend aformentioned 100$ on keycaps and switches anyway, and that is if you wanna run your switches relatively dead stock without any lubrication. The prebuilt Q series with the G Pro Gateron Yellows for example really only need lubrication (around 15$ for a Krytox 205g0 and a number 0 flat brush), and force break mod with electrical tape.

12 hours ago, MaxM07 said:

More to the point, how much better are these kinds of boards compared to premium gaming ones?

It depends on your effort. If its "zero to none", the typing quality can get really neck in neck as really the only differentiating factor there would be mounting mechanism and stock stabilizer quality on its wide keys (like the spacebar). If you do wanna get down in the trenches with it, a more open board like what keychron built can type so much better than any premium gaming boards out on the market, and you can runaway with whatever you like with it. Change out the stabilizer for a new one? Sure. Filling the case with materials to cut down on sounds? Sure. Change out the switch in seconds when yours dies? Sure. Tweak its firmware to change out the pollrate and debounce latency to make it faster on paper? Go nuts. Thats the fun of buying keyboard with customization in mind rather than just gaming boards, its not just straight typing quality.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

52 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah but then you gonna spend aformentioned 100$ on keycaps and switches anyway, and that is if you wanna run your switches relatively dead stock without any lubrication. The prebuilt Q series with the G Pro Gateron Yellows for example really only need lubrication (around 15$ for a Krytox 205g0 and a number 0 flat brush), and force break mod with electrical tape.

It depends on your effort. If its "zero to none", the typing quality can get really neck in neck as really the only differentiating factor there would be mounting mechanism and stock stabilizer quality on its wide keys (like the spacebar). If you do wanna get down in the trenches with it, a more open board like what keychron built can type so much better than any premium gaming boards out on the market, and you can runaway with whatever you like with it. Change out the stabilizer for a new one? Sure. Filling the case with materials to cut down on sounds? Sure. Change out the switch in seconds when yours dies? Sure. Tweak its firmware to change out the pollrate and debounce latency to make it faster on paper? Go nuts. Thats the fun of buying keyboard with customization in mind rather than just gaming boards, its not just straight typing quality.

If I do go this route I'd get Kailh Box V2 Browns, which are prelubed and allegedly some of the least wobbly (already ordered to see how they feel), and Wooting black shine-through keycaps; that totals to $170. I don't think I care about all the customization stuff (which would probably be surprising if you knew me haha), it's mostly about features & feel. 

2 minutes ago, MaxM07 said:

If I do go this route I'd get Kailh Box V2 Browns, which are prelubed and allegedly some of the least wobbly (already ordered to see how they feel), and Wooting black shine-through keycaps; that totals to $170.

Thats actually a pretty good plan combo to be fair but of course its already driven past 100$. I was thinking of KBDFans PBTFans BoW or WoB with JWICK T1, which would come out at around 95$ (100 with spare switches rather than tight 75 switches) and ready stock year-round. If you are considering Kailh Box Browns though, consider Kailh Box Navy and Box White too.

4 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Thats actually a pretty good plan combo to be fair but of course its already driven past 100$. I was thinking of KBDFans PBTFans BoW or WoB with JWICK T1, which would come out at around 95$ (100 with spare switches rather than tight 75 switches) and ready stock year-round. If you are considering Kailh Box Browns though, consider Kailh Box Navy and Box White too.

I mean it's $170 for the whole setup, not just the switches and caps, $80 + 50 + 40. The Box V2s are only available in red, blue, and brown; the V1s I don't think come pre lubed; brown is probably right for me anyway because I want feedback without too much noise. Also there's a guy in this thread saying that Cherrys are the only good switch and I should just replace the caps on my current board, is he at all right or totally stupid? 

Just now, MaxM07 said:

is he at all right or totally stupid

Definitely one of the billion reason why people still believe in Mount Stupid even when it doesnt exists in the original dunning-krueger effect. To me Cherries have fallen off in value once their patent in Europe expires and people are taking their designs and heavily improved it. Even their current crops of Hyperglides looks pale in value compared to Gateron G Pro lineup which comes out cheaper, has better lubeless experience, and similar stem wobble. Although, MX Brown experience of leaf scratches on release and the very metallic click of MX Blue? Irreplaceable for the people who liked it, and their MX Red Silent is among the best in quiet experience, imo in line with Boba U4T for its Tactile counterparts.