Would you upgrade to Haswell, Ivy Bridge-E, or keep what you have?

I'm still deciding between Haswell and Ivybridge-E. Currently on an i7 950, so either would be an increase in performance, but I need more PCIe lanes than Haswell is gonna have (assuming it follows on from Ivybridge) without needing more than 4 cores. Either way I'm looking at either a 4770k (which should be superior in every application I would use it in) or a 4820 (which would be slightly inferior but on a platform with better features). I'll wait until Haswell comes out and make a decision then I think - so far the dual USB 3.0 internal headers are looking pretty sweet - none of Gigabyte's audio jiggery-pokery is particularly interesting to me, nor is integrated VRMs or water-proofing...

I have the 2GB version. :P

I'm happy with my 3570k at 4.5ghz. Although it refused to go higher with good voltages, It should do. 

Now my 560 ti on the other hand...Y U NO 2GB???

Gah i have the same dilemma!

That said, my 3570K build is still under a year old and i'm super pleased with it, so I don't really see myself upgrading to Haswell anytime soon, and instead will probably do a couple smaller upgrades to my current system with any extra cash I have, like a better CPU cooler - maybe an all-in-one liquid solution  :)

WAIT, you forgot to add the "F*uck EA." option to the poll! It's a tradition on the forum :P

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Haswell all the way!

Get rid of dat first gen i7.

I'm planning on trying a mitx haswell build for my next PC. Depends if i decide to go for water cooling or not.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

I will hold on to my 3570k for a little bit longer. My gpu is my main concern but lately all I've been playing is older games and cant justify an upgrade.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

I won't be likely to... I just built the system in my signature a month ago and that isn't even complete. I will probably wait and see whats after haswell and see how much better it is...

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Nope Just remade my build last month thanks to AMD Fan Day. Got a free motherboard and CPU APU A8-5600k. I will maybe get a higher end Gpu cause that never settle bundle just keeps getting better. 

Diamond Cube https://pcpartpicker.com/b/wvPscf 

Diamond 2.0 The FX Rev 2.0 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z6sMLk

The only Ryce that can Make It Shine Gamer plus a Student Games,Tech,and everything in Between. Showing all Love to@victoriajustice

If the Ivy-E top model ends up somewhere under $2000 (the 12-core with HT and 30MB cache) then I will SO go for it.

I just hope there will be a dual CPU socket motherboard for LGA2011 that is a LOT more overclocking and style prioritized than the current ones.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm sticking with my i5 3570k and waiting to upgrade my MoBo (AsRock Pro4-m) when those start to drop in price, or as people with 1155 start trying to sell their parts to build a new rig... hint hint

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

I will be upgrading to Haswell, I'm currently running on a core 2 duo so yeah

I remain,  

msevilgenius

If the Ivy-E top model ends up somewhere under $2000 (the 12-core with HT and 30MB cache) then I will SO go for it.

I just hope there will be a dual CPU socket motherboard for LGA2011 that is a LOT more overclocking and style prioritized than the current ones.

Seems unlikely, since as far as I'm aware, an 8-core core-i chip would be an 'i9', making a 12-core 'i7' actually an 'i13'. Firstly there is no indication from leaks/announcements that Intel are planning on even releasing such an 'i9' part for Ivybridge-E - yet alone an 'i13'. My prediction is that we see an i9 with Haswell-E, but no 12-core non-xeons for an awfully long time. With the dual-socket boards though, there are a couple of pretty stylish ASUS ones if memory serves me, but overclocking is not/should not be a huge priority for xeons and since you can only use xeons in a dual-socket board (since the core-i series processors cannot work in tandem) the dual-socket boards don't need to have lots of overclocking support either.

If you wan't overclocking, dual socket/xeons probably isn't the way to go.

EDIT: just realised you were probably talking about a xeon sub-$2000 part to start with so the core-i stuff is probably irrelevant. I still don't think overclocking is gonna be a huge thing on IVB-E though, plus I imagine the Ivybridge-E xeons will replace the Sandybridge-E chips price wise as usually happens

I have an ivy bridge and it's great.  The prices of the CPU's will go down dramically within the next few months, if you're planning on upgrading wait till then

No, I bought my 3570k towards the end of its life. If I would have bought it when Ivy just came out then I wouldn't be saying I with I waited until haswell lol

i wasnt poking fun it was more me trying to say ur purchase was sound there arent many games or programs that will fully utilize the chip you have.. no reason to give it a second thought performance wise im not sure about pricing

Seems unlikely, since as far as I'm aware, an 8-core core-i chip would be an 'i9', making a 12-core 'i7' actually an 'i13'. Firstly there is no indication from leaks/announcements that Intel are planning on even releasing such an 'i9' part for Ivybridge-E

Intel said, and it is official, that they are making their top model Ivy-E LGA2011 socket CPU a 10-core chip. Recently however, they came out and said that due to 'high yields' (meaning very good production batches because of their current material) they will be making their top-tier extreme edition a 12-core chip. I forget the source, but it wasn't a rumour, it was an actual Intel statement. Google is your friend.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Im running with my 8320, but im going to switch 4770k or 4670k 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I just want the video encoding being off loaded to the integrated graphics chip to be widely adopted because that is a very useful innovation which can significantly help frame rates.

Sandy Bridge is more than enough for me. The most intensive stuff I do on my computer is gaming and most games are GPU limited anyway.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Got a 2500k so I'm good

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Got a 2500k so I'm good

upgrading next year?

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I take haswell as an oppurtunity to get rid of my fx 8350 and get an i7 4770k

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

upgrading next year?

No not the CPU stuff, I have a gtx 460 so if anything I'd upgrade that

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I take haswell as an oppurtunity to get rid of my fx 8350 and get an i7 4770k

what's wrong with an 8350?

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

what's wrong with an 8350?

Nothing, I just want an i7. For science.

Nothing, I just want an i7. For science.

lol I guess that is valid in some ways.  :)

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram