Would you upgrade to Haswell, Ivy Bridge-E, or keep what you have?

I'd love to upgrade to Haswell but I just can't justify the expenditure. I have a 2600K that I only average around 7% utilization running all my daily apps and my games! It's the same old thing, CPU's have been "good enough" for years now for most people and moving up to the latest and greatest is more about having bragging rights then it is for necessity.

It would be nice tho......

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

I'm getting a 4770k with a 760ti, maybe 770

If the build is older, then it might be enough to justify the cost. A 10-20% upgrade in performance doesn't seem worth it coming from Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I said Haswell-E, not Ivy Bridge-E. :P  Wise choice though.

Huh? I was just saying in a drawn out and explanitory manner why I am waiting for Haswell-E aswell. I'm going to skip Ivy Bridge-E

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Huh? I was just saying in a drawn out and explanitory manner why I am waiting for Haswell-E aswell. I'm going to skip Ivy Bridge-E

Same with me.

I think i'm gonna save up like a mofo and wait for Haswell-E it'll be awesome i tink... and then a complete Costom watercooled rig with Gtx 880 SLI or 109970 crossfire (or something like that)

Interested in Business and Technology

I'm abstaining from this vote because my plans are all being questioned right now. I want Haswell mostly for the large number of SATA ports in my server.

But I also want to keep the cost of said build down, so I might flake out on AMD or something. I dunno, it's hard to say. My personal computer is Ivy and it will stay that way until a real upgrade comes along. If all Intel gives us is incremental 10% upgrades every year, then I'll probably keep Ivy until it dies.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

im planning on doing a 4770k build with duel 780's

yesterday I read an article which was saying that 780 it's going to cost more than 800$. But I'm not to sure! By the way it will be amazing!

I'll likely skip haswell. Computer is only about 10 months old so don't really see a reason to upgrade. 

Not sure what I should upgrade to. Currently have a i7-2600K OC'ed to 4.4GHz.

I really want an Enthusiast socket, so not sure if I Should go Ivy Bridge-E or wait for Haswell.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I'm happy with my 3570k at 4.5ghz. Although it refused to go higher with good voltages, It should do. 

Now my 560 ti on the other hand...Y U NO 2GB???

Since it ain't got the horsepower anyway.

Just got my 2500k, works like a charm, massive improvement from an i3 3240, probably i'll buy a haswell-e or the next 1150 gen after this, i'll be influenced by the budget at that time :))

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Not sure what I should upgrade to. Currently have a i7-2600K OC'ed to 4.4GHz.

I really want an Enthusiast socket, so not sure if I Should go Ivy Bridge-E or wait for Haswell.

Haswell won't be any more enthusiast than 1155 was, still quad core and 4 memory lanes, 2011/ivibridge-e on the other side is the true enthusiast grade socket!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I sure will! I currently have a Dual core E6750 @2.6GHz with 2GBs of RAM so... yeah, I nedd a change.

Im still running a Lynfield Core i5 650, so yeh im probably thinking about upgrading to haswell haah  :rolleyes:

AMD 955. Hence, it will be a good upgrade to Haswell 4770/4570

I wanted to get Haswell with GTX 7XX series but in Summer when they come out I will have simply to much else to do than thinking about a new PC. So I decided to go with the current parts and got some pretty good deals for my PC. I'm happy now and I'm going to wait until Skylake is released before I think about a new PC. At least it's my plan...

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

I'll be upgrading to Haswell/Z87 around November as I'm currently on an i7 920 - should be a fairly significant increase in performance and efficiency. I've already upgraded my GPU this year from a 260 to a 660 ti

No Haswell for me; Once AMD, always AMD  ;)

I might upgrade from a 4100 to a 8350 though.

PC setup

Case: Fractal Define Nano S Windowed | Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming-ITX/AC | CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz | GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Ram: G.Skill Flare X @ 2933MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850

Cooling

CPU: EK Supremacy EVO | GPU: EK Block + Backplate | Rad: 2x EK-CoolStream SE 240 | Pump: EK XTOP DDC 3.2 | Res: EK-Res X3 110 | Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000

Misc: EK fittings | EK Ekoolant EVO | EK Duraclear tubing

I will stick with my 2600K for as long as I can. At least another year if not two years. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I'm waiting for the thing after the thing that is after Haswell, or is it the thing after that?? can't remember. 

My 3930K will web browse for many years to come.

But if game developers get of their butts and start to push it alittle bit, whatever parallel quantum processor is out at the time for a decent price will have my money. 

I think my 3570k would do me good a long way, so, no. Maybe till late 2014

I'm currently running a i5 2500K @4.4Ghz kinda want something new to play with. but my wallet is way to thin ._.

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

Considering i have a core 2 quad q8400 which doesn't suck at all with a 9400gt, yeah i might. /sarcasm

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll