Would you upgrade to Haswell, Ivy Bridge-E, or keep what you have?

lol I guess that is valid in some ways.  :)

I think the old Lynnfield and Bloomfield Core i7's are pretty competant still

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't see any reason why I should. Hardware now is too fast for people anyway :P

Running an i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz, no point in "upgrading".

Perhaps if the AMD Steamroller / Excavator are any good, I'll see ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I would not upgrade because it seems many current power supplies out there do not supply the "stable" LOW current that Haswell needs.  Most PSUs have always headed in the high voltage/current/wattage direction but Haswell needs less than half an amp.    I would have to buy a new motherboard, CPU and power supply.  No thanks.....well...not until it is just about at end of life and cheap enough for it to be worth it. :)

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

I'm sticking with Sandy Bridge i7 2700K, the CPU is still plenty strong for any games, and if I want I can always just get a good CPU cooler and overclock. 

I am going to try to see if I can resist upgrading till the next socket iteration and not go to the 1150 socket at all. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Intel said, and it is official, that they are making their top model Ivy-E LGA2011 socket CPU a 10-core chip. Recently however, they came out and said that due to 'high yields' (meaning very good production batches because of their current material) they will be making their top-tier extreme edition a 12-core chip. I forget the source, but it wasn't a rumour, it was an actual Intel statement. Google is your friend.

If google is so friendly, care to provide a link to reinforce that claim? I've been following Intel's developments very closely the past few years so I find it hard to believe I'd missed anything (but just to be sure I did do a few google searches to no avail). There were a lot of rumours around the time the roadmaps were released that we'd see 10 or 12 core chips on Ivybridge-E, but those have all but disappeared now since there seems to be nothing to back them up. You should also bear in mind that Ivybridge-EX =/= Ivybridge-E; therefore whilst the former two may support 10+ core xeon chips, it does not mean that the Ivybridge-E counterpart will reflect this with 10/12 core i7s or xeons. Naturally nothing is certain, but unless u can supply a source for the Intel 10-core i7 announcement, I'm afraid I find it hard to believe.

As far as I'm aware Intel has only talked about 10-core chips for the Ivybridge-EX platform, which is similar but not identical to Ivybridge-E.

I have no need to upgrade as I already have a Sandy Bridge-E i7 3820.

Codename: Project Stealth. See profile for specs.