Steam Deck Bag vs Messenger Bag

Harlem_Shaker

Personally, I want a full messenger bag. I typically carry my laptop, pens, and notebook to class, and care just barely fit my wireless keyboard and Steam Deck in my bag (due to its triangular shape) into it, but carry my laptop separate. That might be going into backpack territory though. I still want to be able to fit a small keyboard in there regardless. 

+1 for messenger bag that can carry a 14", maybe 15" laptop and some accessoires like charger, cables, dongle, powerbank etc. I think the steam deck size should be a separate product, though. Maybe also do a bundle for both, I'd buy it.

I really dislike how flappy a messenger bag is, I’d really love a sling like Linus had on wan but large enough to accommodate a laptop and a switch or steam deck. I’ve really been needing something like that. I’ve been reduced to popping my switch in my camera bag which is a sling, and putting my laptop in my suitcase which is far from ideal

I’d want it big enough to fit a Switch with aftermarket controllers attached like Hori Splitpads. I think aiming to fit a steam deck and maybe offering an insert to fit a switch better would be ideal compared to making two different sized bags. I only listened to the podcast is there any good resource to see what they were showing on the show?

I have been waiting for a slim backpack for a while. Just enough for a laptop (work), charging cables (laptop block & type C), maybe tablet/steam deck (fun), and a waterbottlle.

I am not sold on the messager bag because the weight on one shoulder for say the length of a con like PAX East is really grueling. I really would be looking for a bag for the above items with a waterbottle attachment designed to be durable, comfortable, and keep my stuff safe while I travel around.

Side note, I am more likely to grab my samsung tablet instead of a laptop today. Even as a programmer who would like a linux laptop, the reality of laptops is that they just can beat a tablet for weight and batterylife that I want. "Booting up" on a tablet is near instant and login is a quick face scan. If I am going to cary a latop I just expect more for the weight and it just doesn't deliver what I want. Type C charging, which some latops have, but they cost more than tablets. Some tablets can even do some heavier tasks and with virtual machines, or even ARM compatible languages I can program that way.

Wonder if anyone else feels this way.

Personally I don't like backpacks, period. I've always loved messenger bags and I feel having a bag just for a portable console is niche. If I can have something to hold my laptop and switch (and water bottle) then I will be a happy gamer :)

So I like this concept a lot. I definitely think this should stay in the form factor (ish) that was shown off, something in between a little purse and a laptop carrier bag. I have the https://shop.lululemon.com/p/bags/Everywhere-Belt-Bag/_/prod8900747?color=0001&sz=ONESIZE and its great. But the issue I run into is that it cannot hold a book. There are times where I would like to not haul around a full size backpack but would like to either have my switch or a book. So if it can fit inbetween a little purse and full size messenger that would be amazing. (Also if it would be feasible to fit a hardback book into it that would be wonderful). But as long as it can hold the various products that should be fine.

I love my Patagonia Atom and would like to see this new bag closer to a sling than a messenger bag, with more tech oriented internal storage solutions. 

Yo me if I needed to carry a laptop and other larger items I would opt for a backpack for a more ergonomically fit design. 

Why not both? I personally would prefer a larger bag for a holding multiple things like a Steam Deck, maybe a small laptop, a tablet and just generally miscellanies stuff. But I definitely could see the use case for a smaller form factor. Plus it would be great to have a small (Steam Deck Bag), medium (Messenger Bag) and large (Backpack) options. Maybe even if there was some extra engineering going on with the messenger bag where it could act like a mini backpack too, it seems like a good idea to me.

Cross Body Bag.

Firstly, I really dig it. The only improvements I would suggest would be if it was a little more robust in design, similar to the Tech Sack, with internal pockets designed with certain purposes. Cross body bags and fanny packs (waist bags) have become really popular lately, so having a more tech inspired bag that is able to hold a gaming device, phone(s), wallet, cables, etc. The option for a water bottle to be securely attached is great too, especially if that piece is able to be removed (with very secure fasteners). This would also allow for more modularity for the customers. We could purchase additional clips, attachments, and bags that could all be interchangeable to allow for more customization. Lastly, if you could have this product, the Tech Sack, and the Backpack all be able to attach together (hopefully in an elegant way), I think that could be an amazing set of products.

Thanks!

My suggestions/feedback

- love the orange interior

- please select a fidlock buckle that does not accidentally unbuckle 

- consider waterproof material especially since we may get caught in rain with tech (eg X-PAC, DCF)

- self compression system would be nice when not carrying that much gear (eg Bellroy slings)

- internal organisation with elastic pockets (eg Aer day sling 3)

- hidden pocket close to body for phone/wallet/passport etc

On 3/28/2023 at 9:39 AM, aterra said:

Personally I think the Steam Deck sized bag makes the most sense. If I need to take a laptop AND Steam Deck, I'll grab a larger backpack.

A messenger bag makes way more sense, alot prefer a messenger bag over a backpack for everyday steamsized bag can hold pretty much nothing

23 hours ago, Burgerbob said:

I really dislike how flappy a messenger bag is, I’d really love a sling like Linus had on wan but large enough to accommodate a laptop and a switch or steam deck. I’ve really been needing something like that. I’ve been reduced to popping my switch in my camera bag which is a sling, and putting my laptop in my suitcase which is far from ideal

a messenger bag is only floppy it if not constructed well, a sling that fit a laptop whould be very uncomnfortable to wear

I'm going to go ahead and chime in here along with the crowd that would prefer the Steamdeck sized bag, maybe slightly larger for a couple different pockets. I, too, prefer a sling bag for my daily carry when I don't need all the space my backpack provides. I also prefer to use a sling bag for conferences and part day trips because I can more easily access my supplies and such while keeping a closer eye on them. 

I really think that if you need a bag for a smaller handheld like the switch the tech pouch while maybe not ideal would suffice.

A bag just large enough for the steam deck and a water bottle seems like a very niche requirement in a world where the tech pouch exists. 

I really believe there would be a broader market for a messenger bag that could hold a laptop and maybe a couple other things without being too bulky. Then if you did want it for the steam deck maybe you could carry a few extra accessories like a headset.

Also this would somewhat fill the desire people have had for a smaller backpack.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:06 AM, basvanderwerff said:

a messenger bag is only floppy it if not constructed well, a sling that fit a laptop whould be very uncomnfortable to wear

Not if it’s constructed well with a good padded strap. I used to urge a rather large camera bag that held more weight than a laptop and steam deck and could’ve fit a laptop if it was constructed differently and it was pretty comfortable I could walk around with it for long periods of time

Adding my response from the unofficial post earlier, but also adding in some links.

I love my Patagonia Atom Sling and would like to see this new bag closer to a sling than a messenger bag, with more tech oriented internal storage solutions.  I am currently rotating between the Atom and an Adidas Utility Cross Body Sling.  

I currently use these to take to work, day trips, trips to the city.  I would use the LTT pack almost exclusively to be able to fit my medicine, chargers/cables, as well as my switch and a few snacks.  I would want it to be slightly larger than the bag shown on the stream, but still keep the cross body functionality while also having an option for a water bottle holder.  It would also be nice to have the water bottle holder be able to cinch down to hold smaller (21/24oz) bottles or larger (40oz) bottles and be detachable.

To me if I needed to carry a laptop and other larger items, I would opt for a backpack for a more ergonomically fit design vs a messenger back that had wreaked havoc on my back in college.