Framework introduces Laptop 16!

It's a real shame that WAN show is probably going to be overshadowed by this whole hacking situation, because Framework just hosted a stream today with a ridiculously cool number of innovations.

Stream:

From 13th gen upgrades for Laptop 13, a new 61Wh battery, matte display, screen bezel, AMD options..
And of course the brand new Laptop 16 coming in late the year.

From what I've seen recently in the laptop space, this machine rivals desktop levels of customizability and repair not echoed by any other manufacturer. 

Recap video:

11 minutes ago, nathanbasset said:

this machine rivals desktop levels of customizability and repair not echoed by any other manufacturer. 

no

also, lenovo

the only thing framework has done is provided user serviceable parts themselves, thinkpad nerds did more as just a bunch of hobbyists than framework has yet to come close to 

17 minutes ago, nathanbasset said:

not echoed by any other manufacturer

may I introduce you to the Dell Precision M6800.

-91wh battery

-matte or glossy screen

-MXM graphics card

-upgradable CPU

-4 DIMM slots

-literally every small part like screen latch, webcam, keyboard, trackpad, casing is easily replacable 

17 minutes ago, nathanbasset said:

screen bezel

lol hate to break it to you but it's kinda hard to make a screen without bezels, lame feature

4 minutes ago, 8tg said:

no

also, lenovo

the only thing framework has done is provided user serviceable parts themselves, thinkpad nerds did more as just a bunch of hobbyists than framework has yet to come close to 

Quite true

I wonder if this is why they visited LMG last week. (Linus mentioned it on WAN Show.)

27 minutes ago, da na said:

may I introduce you to the Dell Precision M6800.

We had a fleet of those deployed for mobile video editing workstations. They're tanks but they're serviceable and they'll take a pounding. Dell usually has illustrated service guides available for their hardware, too. There's a reason I always recommend them over HP.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

14 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I wonder if this is why they visited LMG last week. (Linus mentioned it on WAN Show.)

We had a fleet of those deployed for mobile video editing workstations. They're tanks but they're serviceable and they'll take a pounding. Dell usually has illustrated service guides available for their hardware, too. There's a reason I always recommend them over HP.

I've got an m6700 and I use it for video editing when away from boarding school. M6800 from what I understand takes the 6700 and just packs a newer GPU and CPU. 

Like example, the Thinkpad X210

1FAC2E59-F7E3-42A0-8ABB-DD253C6B7DB1.thumb.jpeg.1f1040600505410e08f1212fd571c2a5.jpeg

https://www.xyte.ch/mods/x210-x2100/

This is a thinkpad X200/x201s based machine, those original models being from 2008.

With a full suite mod to bring it to mobile 10th gen, with a 3x2k ips panel, modern I/o and even type c charging.

This has been done by hobbyists, these machines are hobbyist machines. All framework has done is take this concept and make it more user accessible, though not in the platform of an actually good laptop.

Theyre fairly mid tier consumer laptops that you happen to be able to service yourself a bit easier than most consumer laptops, and not a lot more.

3 hours ago, nathanbasset said:

From what I've seen recently in the laptop space, this machine rivals desktop levels of customizability and repair not echoed by any other manufacturer. 

Lenovo, and ibm thinkpads come to mind.

20230324_000518.thumb.jpg.d5e10d1c28751594c0469e6a35d8176e.jpg

I need to get this t23 to be repaired but I have experienced working with lenovo 11e 3rd gen chromebooks they are the most easy to repair laptop I have ever seen.

Panasonic toughbooks also come to mind. 

Like @da nasaid those dell pressions we had a couple and those are also easy to repair.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Watched the PCWorld video on the 16 earlier, then found this thread. It's not clear to me how big the laptop is. Maybe it is an optical trick due to the proportions but it looks too thin to me, combined with modularity I have to question how effective it can be at running a decent CPU and GPU. I'll await more details on what options there are but it seems the dream of a well performing customisable higher end gaming laptop isn't quite here yet.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 3/23/2023 at 7:49 PM, nathanbasset said:

I think people are missing the point on this, no other manufacturer is making a repairable or modular customizable laptop in the consumer laptop market. I really would've liked to see Framework make the 16 inch version a business grade laptop, although I would expect companies to stick Dell or Lenovo for contracts,service support, and their pricing discounts, so targeting the consumer market makes a lot more sense.

I like the idea of being able to buy a used Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad,  and put more ram and a SSD into it, its a lot cheaper than buying new, but even business grade laptops from Dell and Lenovo have went towards soldered on RAM, also build quality has gotten worse, unless you're willing to spend more on a Thinkpad P series.

• 1 year later...

Why are forum users so pretentious 

4 hours ago, nathanbasset said:

Why are forum users so pretentious 

image.thumb.png.9328ca13c13393c5539fca5b96e35c72.png

the-office.gif

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet