What Ryzen 5000 cpu to go for?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
2 minutes ago, Datrat said:

I edited the list link, but its an EVGA RTX 2080 XC. I was hoping to spend less money to get a temp fix, but I do know that it doesn't make sense long-term. I was hoping to keep my 32gb of ram longer so I would lean Intel 13th gen, but that requires a lot more of an investment, and I don't really want to stay ITX.

If you're strapped for cash, but your current system can't do what you need it to do, then you can just go with the Ryzen 5 5600. You honestly won't lose that much performance vs the 5700X and it'll save you $50. The 3400G is going for $70+ on eBay, so you can recoup half of the money it costs to get the 5600.

Then you can start saving up for a more substantial upgrade. Given the level of competition in the CPU space right now, I fully expect 14th gen vs 8000 series to give us another 15-30% jump in performance, which will give you the option of getting something even more substantial if you can afford it, or you can probably pick up a used 7000 series chip for cheap when people start upgrading.

I plan to upgrade from my 3400g to the most recent gen supported by my b450i aorus motherboard. I don't know if I want to give up integrated graphics in case I need to troubleshoot, but the 5700x lookin like a steal right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/g94BD3,ycGbt6,JmhFf7/

I feel the 30 dollar increase is probably worth it but I haven't paid attention too much.

This is the current system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pbsp6r

I do plan in the future to replace the motherboard and likely cpu when direct storage is a thing, after buying an NVME drive with a dram cache, but that isn't a concern right now. I think this is the most important upgrade right now.

Your part list is set to private, so I can't see what your current system is like.

Assuming you have the GPU fire power to back it up, the 5700X can be a worthwhile upgrade over the 5600X. The real competition, though is with the 5600 non-X, as that part performs basically the same as the 5600X while costing less - in this case, $17 less again. If you want that extra 2% performance, you can just turn on PBO and you'll basically have a 5600X.

I'd say that if you have a 6700XT, RTX 3060Ti, RTX 2080 or better, you should just go with the 5700X over the 5600. Anything less than that, and you can just go with the Ryzen 5 5600 - there won't really be any difference in performance.

If you're worried about troubleshooting, pick up an old card like a Quadro 600 or Quadro K400 or something off of eBay for $10 and keep it in a drawer. That's a better troubleshooting solution, anyway, as it can be used in any system - iGPU or no.

While I think an upgrade over your 3400G is certainly warranted, if you're planning on replacing the motherboard, don't go with an AM4 one. Just get AM5 or LGA1700 instead. Any in-socket upgrade past a 5700X is minimal.

I agree with YoungBlade I built a rig with a RTX 3070 and have a 5600X.  Works wonderful but if I did it over I might have gone with a 5700X.  You will be fine either way.  

FYI I went from a 1800X and GTX 1080 which I'm now planning to sell and I kinda needed a new rig in a pinch.  

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I'd say that if you have a 6700XT, RTX 3060Ti, RTX 2080 or better, you should just go with the 5700X over the 5600. Anything less than that, and you can just go with the Ryzen 5 5600 - there won't really be any difference in performance.

While I think an upgrade over your 3400G is certainly warranted, if you're planning on replacing the motherboard, don't go with an AM4 one. Just get AM5 or LGA1700 instead. Any in-socket upgrade past a 5700X is minimal.

I edited the list link, but its an EVGA RTX 2080 XC. I was hoping to spend less money to get a temp fix, but I do know that it doesn't make sense long-term. I was hoping to keep my 32gb of ram longer so I would lean Intel 13th gen, but that requires a lot more of an investment, and I don't really want to stay ITX.

2 minutes ago, Datrat said:

If you're strapped for cash, but your current system can't do what you need it to do, then you can just go with the Ryzen 5 5600. You honestly won't lose that much performance vs the 5700X and it'll save you $50. The 3400G is going for $70+ on eBay, so you can recoup half of the money it costs to get the 5600.

Then you can start saving up for a more substantial upgrade. Given the level of competition in the CPU space right now, I fully expect 14th gen vs 8000 series to give us another 15-30% jump in performance, which will give you the option of getting something even more substantial if you can afford it, or you can probably pick up a used 7000 series chip for cheap when people start upgrading.

5700x is a nice chip and should keep up through most of am5 depending on your resolution, if you can scrape a few more dollars and slam in a X3D or a 5900x all the better to skip am5 and wait until second gen am6 😁

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

8 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I was planning on selling the old one to recoup, my older brother has a 5600x which maybe I could snipe if he upgrades, but he is in his last semester at Purdue for CS so that might be a little wait. I am looking to upgrade now cause Halo infinite pins my cpu at 1080p ~120fps. But the computer is barely usable outside that, firefox is so sluggish evern with youtube at <480p

I don't know if it is worth it buying all new/new-to-me locked into ITX which is inherently more expensive.

8 minutes ago, Datrat said:

I was planning on selling the old one to recoup, my older brother has a 5600x which maybe I could snipe if he upgrades, but he is in his last semester at Purdue for CS so that might be a little wait. I am looking to upgrade now cause Halo infinite pins my cpu at 1080p ~120fps. But the computer is barely usable outside that, firefox is so sluggish evern with youtube at <480p

I don't know if it is worth it buying all new/new-to-me locked into ITX which is inherently more expensive.

I think for your current situation, you can certainly justify an upgrade. Whether or not you can afford it is a matter of your personal finances.

If you want to be able to watch videos while playing a game, even the 5600 should do fine - I personally don't get why you'd want to watch videos or otherwise multitask while playing a competitive shooter, but you do you.

Hardware Unboxed actually did a whole "multitasking benchmark" video with the 5600 vs 5700X, so you can check that out to see what the advantages/disadvantages of each option are:

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you want to be able to watch videos while playing a game, even the 5600 should do fine - I personally don't get why you'd want to watch videos or otherwise multitask while playing a competitive shooter, but you do you.

Really just WAN tbh

I will watch that video though.

Thanks for your assistance!

6 minutes ago, Datrat said:

Really just WAN tbh

I get wanting to do something else while listening to the WAN Show, but a competitive shooter seems kind of odd to me.

When I'm playing Halo Infinite, I'm focusing on the game - I need to be able to hear footfalls and focus on what's happening with objectives - the only thing I would have going in the background is a voice chat with one of my friends. It would certainly hurt my performance in the game if I was listening to Linus almost destroy his entire career by mistaking the "Hard R" for "The R Word" - that would totally break my concentration when trying to snipe the guy holding the Oddball. I wouldn't even notice when one of his teammates comes up and melees me in the back.

But like I said, you do you. It's your gaming - I'm not here to judge. I'm just trying to help you figure out a good upgrade route that fits for your usecase.

34 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Where at the point now where its basically only 5600 or 5800x3D that make any sense based on budget. If you need the multicore performance for professional/production reasons, Zen4 makes far more sense than investing in 5950x. 

4 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I get wanting to do something else while listening to the WAN Show, but a competitive shooter seems kind of odd to me.

When I'm playing Halo Infinite, I'm focusing on the game - I need to be able to hear footfalls and focus on what's happening with objectives - the only thing I would have going in the background is a voice chat with one of my friends. It would certainly hurt my performance in the game if I was listening to Linus almost destroy his entire career by mistaking the "Hard R" for "The R Word" - that would totally break my concentration when trying to snipe the guy holding the Oddball. I wouldn't even notice when one of his teammates comes up and melees me in the back.

But like I said, you do you. It's your gaming - I'm not here to judge. I'm just trying to help you figure out a good upgrade route that fits for your usecase.

From my experience currently, I am not remotely close to the sandbagging of recent teamates. But I am not playing it super competitively, more as a fun game.