[PC Mag] The $700 Epson AR "smart glasses" are awesome

TopWargamer

Sourcehttp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457724,00.asp

Official website: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/moverio-bt-200-smart-glasses.do

This video will give you the run down of all of the technical aspects of the Epson Moverio BT-200.

Of if you don't feel like sitting through a 46 second video, here's the specs that are known. (Plus more from their website.)

Notes

-960x540 screen resolution

-transparent lenses

-3D capable

-Front facing camera

-Built in motion sensors 

-Dolby digital plus speakers

-Options for prescription lenses and shades

-Android based controller

---Android 4.0

---Textured trackpad

---MicroSD expansion 

---Bluetooth and WiFi support

---Up to 6 hours of battery life

(From the looks of things, I think these AR glasses have to be hooked up to the "controller" for it to work and whatnot. I don't mind this, because it's small enough to fit into your pocket, although there is the problem with that cable though.)

Is it a Google Glass? No, it's potentially better. From the looks of it, it certainly does seem better than Glass. I've never had the privilege to use Glass or any type of AR glasses for that matter, but I do know this - I want the entirety of the lenses to be a screen, which is what this is and Glass isn't. Now, here's a problem to this product - lack of apps, games, etc. Is the product awesome? Yes the product's awesome, but every great product needs equally great apps to keep it alive. Look at the PS Vita for example. It's a great handheld held back by a lack of good games, or well, games in general.

Either way, I see a ton of potential for this product, especially since the price tag is cheaper than Glass. Don't get me wrong, $700 is still expensive, not nearly as expensive as the limited $1,500 Google Glass or its other competitors. Let's see where these Epson AR glasses go, and hopefully they'll go far.

You can buy the Epson Moverio BT-200 AR "smart glasses" directly from the Epson website today, starting at $700: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H560020&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

8DxPm.jpg

COMIC SANS

~

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

People really need to learn how to appreciate the world around them without electronics.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

People really need to learn how to appreciate the world around them without electronics.

Well, ya, of course, but it's still a cool technology. I see AR tech going in more of an office productivity and gaming route.  

COMIC SANS

Oh yeah I would LOVE to be seen in public with those fucking classes, not to mention the oh so elegant design choice of a fucking battery pack with a goddamn fucking cable running up to my face, unprecedented 960*540 resolution and one of the best names ever: Moverio.

-------

Current Rig

-------

guarantee you the laws the come because of this will make it to wear your pretty much limited to wearing these in your house... 

MY brain bled after trying to read that sentence

Brother Cavil: In all your travels, have you ever seen a star go supernova?

Ellen Tigh: No.

Brother Cavil: No? Well, I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the Universe. Other stars, other planets and eventually other life. A supernova! Creation itself! I was there. I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull! With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

Ellen Tigh: The five of us designed you to be as human as possible.

Brother Cavil: I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body! And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way!

Wow a cord that dangles between my glasses and my phone in my pocket. Now it will only take muggers one simple tug to steal both my 700$ glasses and 700$ phone. Oh what a world of convenience we live in.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Oh yeah I would LOVE to be seen in public with those fucking classes, not to mention the oh so elegant design choice of a fucking battery pack with a goddamn fucking cable running up to my face, unprecedented 960*540 resolution and one of the best names ever: Moverio.

exactly. big fail

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M