Somehow lower performance with a better gpu?

Go to solution Solved by Reisser,

rgb and fans...

Hey, first of all, not quite sure if I am creating this thread in the right topic, I just assumed that it will be okay under "Gpu"

So to cut a long story short, I upgraded to an RTX 3070 TI a few days ago (former 1060 3gig) and in the begining it was alright, did a clean driver install and while yes, there was almost no improvement in the games I usually play I assumed that it is as they are CPU bound more than GPU (cyberpunk actually saw a massive improvement I am not even going to lie there, was barely running it before that) CSGO was an unlucky winner tho, somehow my performance dropped from 300-450fps to measly 100? 150? and if I were to move more and more it would even dip below 100? Did the following:

DDU (tried it twice actually)

Go back to an earlier version of the GPU drivers

Checked if everything is good with my GPU (not overheating or anything)- while yes, it is getting 80C it does get quite enough air to go back to a normal temp when not on 100% load, thus overheating is out of the question

I went through previous threads of users and did the "quick easy fix that I found" such as xmp profiles, gpu being "power limited" and so on and so forth, nothing appears to be actually working.

The PC in question is the following:

Ryzen 5 5600X

RTX 3070TI (sadge)  [EDIT: 3070 TI gainward Phoenix]

RMX 750W 

32GB ram (4x8G corsair vengance 3200mhz)

Samsung 970 Evo Plus (gonna throw that in there just in case, I saw some people asked about "hey what drive do you have and does it have enough space", yes, it should definitely not be a drive issue.

TL;DR once more, heavy games no issues, "lower spec" games (such as csgo, league, minecraft, you name it) are an issue and I have no idea what to do anymore.

EDIT:
After around 17 hours from the issue first occuring and 12 hours after creating this thread I was able to fix it, and you would never guess how.

I was sitting in a call with a friend listening to me going bonkers about how tired and how much I want to give up when he suggested that I disconnect the fans that I installed about a day and a half ago (as a joke) at the time I didn't pay him much attention as this sounds unreasonable, right?

[In hindsight this will be the best advise I have ever received.]

So I carry on trying to troubleshoot the PC, old CPU goes in, new goes out, new GPU gooes out old goes in, ram, so on and so forth, clean windows install on another drive, xmp profiles, you name it, I've done it.

Fast forward about 30-40 minutes ago, I have given up and will probably just use the PC to watch stuff on and not give it much thought as I am no longer really playing anything anymore so I decide to give it a shot, why not disconnect the intake and see what happens.

I disconnect the intake, boot, (boots like 3x times quicker, which I didn't even really care about really, but somehow happen) run tests and WHAT??? the performance is BACK??? CSGO WITH OVER 800 FPS???? REALLY????? 

I go to plug the fans back in to confirm the theory, boom, nothing actually changes at all? The performance is still there but another issue starts, GPU fans (A singular fan out of the 3) spins 100% 24/7 and the system does not even pick it up as being spun. I am yet again left speechless and scratching my head.... alright, lets see, what can I do, maybe I left something out? Maybe I forgot to connect something? Nope, everything looks good, and there literally isnt anything that the GPU has to connect even other than the power connectors. Bad.. I think to myself, I could probably disconnnect the fand and just have two but, do I really wanna do that? Oh, whats that, my front RGB (case) controller is disconnected? Oh, let me connect it real quick. **CONNECTS** Alright, lets boot one last time and see if I can thinker a bit more with the GPU software, oh whats that? My fan is no longer spinning out of its mind???? WHAT??? A FREAKING RGB CONTROLLER??????? NO WAY, right? But actually, yes way, disconnected it to see what will happen and my GPU fan starts spining out its mind YET AGAIN, alright, there, found it, but how? How and how... 

TL;DR 2 - Fans+RGB controller somehow fixed CPU issue?????? okay..

Probably a dumb suggestion, but have you checked your resolution? Did you turn on Dynamic Super Resolution?

It could very well be that csgo runs at a higher resolution somehow, otherwise I'm stumped too.

Edit: I'm mentioning Dynamic Super Resolution because it basically enables the video card to render at a resolution higher than native, then scale it down to your monitor. This used to be called super sampling anti aliasing.

It's also the case that when enabling it, some games see the new resolutions and try to run on the highest possible one. (This happened to me, but with AMD's equivalent when launching doom eternal with my new 6700 XT, it autoset the resolution to 8k or something, and of course it ran like ass.)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Check the clock speeds while it's running CS:GO, I've seen it before where a 30 series card doesn't recognize a game as enough of a load and doesn't actually leave idle. In Minecraft, for instance, a 980 Ti would outperform my 3080 unless I turned on shaders. If this is the case (I'm not 100% on that, CS:GO was not a game this happened with), the trick should be to enable "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Check the clock speeds while it's running CS:GO, I've seen it before where a 30 series card doesn't recognize a game as enough of a load and doesn't actually leave idle. In Minecraft, for instance, a 980 Ti would outperform my 3080 unless I turned on shaders. If this is the case (I'm not 100% on that, CS:GO was not a game this happened with), the trick should be to enable "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel

Unless something changed, from my experience what "prefer maximum performance" does is it makes the card run at 3D clocks no matter what, even on the desktop which isn't exactly ideal. Maybe have him set "prefer maximum performance" only as a per-game setting rather than global.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

So, I did check DSR, appears to be off, as for the "prefer maximum performance" tried that too(I did notice that my GPU was barely even being used in terms clock speeds staying at 300-750 range), but I found something interesting that I will try to attach, both will be quick demos in CSGO where my fps is fluctuating like crazy from me just "hovering" over a menu or moving around. Funnily enough, I found that when recording my FPS tends to go up which is weird?

https://youtu.be/NQ-JmWqLjaA

https://youtu.be/wisT01c4k9o

2 minutes ago, Reisser said:

So, I did check DSR, appears to be off, as for the "prefer maximum performance" tried that too(I did notice that my GPU was barely even being used in terms clock speeds staying at 300-750 range), but I found something interesting that I will try to attach, both will be quick demos in CSGO where my fps is fluctuating like crazy from me just "hovering" over a menu or moving around. Funnily enough, I found that when recording my FPS tends to go up which is weird?

https://youtu.be/NQ-JmWqLjaA

https://youtu.be/wisT01c4k9o

recording makes more use of your gpu, it might indeed be not enough load for your gpu, try have youtube open or another game running (at same time), since itll be at a higher clock

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't really have that many games to try with, however, tried with having Titan fall open in the background, not much changed if anything at all, tried with running youtube, did see my clocks go as high as 1905 which was a good sign but fps stays at moderate 120-170 ish (can't exactly tell as frametime is all over the place), as soon as I click "record", however, it jumps with at least 100-150 on top, still quite low compared to what I was getting, but more nevertheless, I am really clueless to what and how is this happening.

It turns out that I may have looked into that the wrong way around, while yes, the GPU is being hardly utilized, I ran some CPU tests and noticed that my CPU may be the cultprit, I ran some CPU tests+ added a time spy on top of it just to test it around, below are the results, which are way below what a 5600x should be getting? 

(PBO on, 4.65ghz all cores under load)

🤷‍♂️- literally clueless and lost to what is going on 

3D mark - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/90618435

CPU - Z -https://valid.x86.fr/1g1s3p

Cinebench r23 - image.png.07a53b089846680395beaf2f3eace9a2.png

im having same issue on windows 11 except mines slightly higher at 9900 points, i cant figure out what it is. when i ran it the same day on windows ten it got above 10,000 so im thinking it might be windows 11 if you are using it but idk im currently trying to figure it out in another post i made. it should be getting like 10,500 to 11,000

I am in fact using windows 10, thus getting similar issues on two different windows versions does seem like there may be indeed something more than just windows itself being the issue

[Edit: the more noticable thing rather than multi score is the single one, thus I have no Idea if you had run single threaded one so far, but for me at least it is horrible compared to any other 5600x scores I've seen]

5 minutes ago, Reisser said:

I am in fact using windows 10, thus getting similar issues on two different windows versions does seem like there may be indeed something more than just windows itself being the issue

yup, i know what the issue is now. All the ryzen 5 5600x that get like 10,500 points or more on cinebench use 3600mhz ram. Makes sense as that is generally the sweet spot for ryzen cpus and can make a big difference in general speed. I would recommend upgrading your ram or research overclocking it as some ram is very easy and safe to overclock without affecting lifespan and others are not good to overclock. Hope this helped

1 minute ago, Nickem said:

EDIT:

yup, i know what the issue is now. All the ryzen 5 5600x that get like 10,500 points or more on cinebench use 3600mhz ram. Makes sense as that is generally the sweet spot for ryzen cpus and can make a big difference in general speed. I would recommend upgrading your ram or research overclocking it as some ram is very easy and safe to overclock without affecting lifespan and others are not good to overclock. Hope this helped. As for your fps issues in games i cant help and this probably wont change that issue but higher ram speed should improve your cpu performance.

Just now, Nickem said:

Thanks, yea, the thing is, it definetly did not perform like this prior to the upgrade, thus the reason I have been trying to figure out what changed, I am using the exact same stuff other than a GPU upgrade, but thank you for the headsup, I will try the ram route too, ?hopefully? it does something for me.